Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 10:37 AM

6 posts, read 17,279 times

Advertisements

to truly have the SA experience, what restaurants do locals recommend? My folks are still new to the area and haven't figured that out yet, and I am visiting and want to have the best texas/sa experience. thanks for all the other recommendations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 10:42 AM

85 posts, read 308,237 times
Grady's BBQ... OTHER THAN THAT, TRY DOWNTOWN AREA.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:20 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
Boudro's on the River Walk is really nice and not too pricey. Be sure to try their guacamole. They make it fresh at your table! Awesome. It's a nice eclectic upscale cuisine.

Either Paisano's (on the River Walk or near the Quarry Market) is good for Italian....they have different owners and vary a little on what they offer.

La Fonda on Main is great Tex Mex and an old established Mexican Restaraunt. Also, La Fogata.....great margaritas and not too touristy.

Paloma Blanca is another great Mexican....but with less "Tex" mixed in. The chef is from Monterrey and the food is awesome but a little different from a lot of the local Tex Mex food.

Steaks.....downtown would be Morton's or the Palm on Houston St. Pricey but good. Ruth's Chris and Flemings are very pricey but awesome!

Chinese.....PF Changs at the Quarry...it's a chain but still great...very nice atmosphere.

Eclectic on the river.....Biga's on the Bank. Very upscale, kind of pricey but a great dining experience.

Keep in mind that dressing to eat is not a big priority in SA. Being in a warmer client and lots of tourists expect people to be dressed from flip flops to cocktail attire.....

I'm sure there are plenty that other will offer. Any particular part of town you might want to know about other than the river walk? When is your trip?
You will want to avoid downtown during Fiesta week!

Old 03-12-2007, 12:06 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,439,361 times
Paesano's at the Quarry... the downtown location isn't as good.
Ez's...various locations through out the city, great casual dining, brick oven pizza, burgers, salads, and a fantastic dish called the Alamo Bowl
Cappy's...Fine New American Cuisine

Old 03-12-2007, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 6,526 times
Default restaurants

El Mirador on S. St. Mary's is a wonderful SA Mexican food experience. Le Reve is the finest restaurant in the state of Texas according to the NY Times and Gourmet. Bourdo's or Biga are the only places on the river.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:44 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montroc View Post
El Mirador on S. St. Mary's is a wonderful SA Mexican food experience. Le Reve is the finest restaurant in the state of Texas according to the NY Times and Gourmet. Bourdo's or Biga are the only places on the river.

I have never been to Le Reve, but it has held that honor for some time! I've heard that it's also very romantic. Anyone been there? It's on my list!

Old 03-12-2007, 10:01 PM

562 posts, read 659,941 times
Tx/SA experience..... Tex Mex cooking-

Los Barrios, La Fogata, La Fonda, Los Patios

Other good places to go:

Ruths Chris Steak House

Marie Callenders

For oriental food, I would mention the Vietnam Restaurant on Broadway. Vans Vietnamese is next door and is good too, but I prefer the former.

Mortons Steak House

Old 03-12-2007, 10:17 PM

49 posts, read 271,658 times
I always have to eat at the Alamo Cafe when I am in town.....love their fajitas...and the chicken fried steak is yummy.....and they bring fresh tortillas as fast as we can eat them. Nice decor and landscaping, go at off hours to avoid circling the parking lot like a vulture and to minimise your wait time.

I second the vote for EZ's....pizza, roasted chicken, milkshakes.....yummmm.

I miss Bill Miller's BBQ.....it's not spectacular as BBQ goes, but there isn't one where I live and sometimes I just miss that familiarity.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:28 AM

154 posts, read 630,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I have never been to Le Reve, but it has held that honor for some time! I've heard that it's also very romantic. Anyone been there? It's on my list!

It's on mine, too. We are dying to go. Hubby flies into SA for the new job today, but I won't get there til school's out.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:38 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,650,964 times
Bob's bbq downtown. Great little dive lots of people go there. IF you do go you will come out smelling like bbq even if its just to order but it is so worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio