Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:38 PM

8 posts, read 13,067 times

Advertisements

Taco Bell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 07:53 AM

108 posts, read 241,511 times
Some of the Mom and Pop restaurants do not necessarily mean that there are greater health risks because there are quite a few that have good scores. Just because a place is bigger or attracts more people doesn't mean it's cleaner. Look to see how clean there restrooms are because that itself says quite a bit about the place itself. Look to see the preparation and handling of the food. I know there are a lot of places that don't handle food properly by the kitchen staff and some of the bigger places are just as guilty.You might want to do your homework and read the reviews on the internet before you venture out. Just because Taco Bell puts ground meat and other garnishes on taco shell or tortilla does't make it Mexican food, anybody can do that!.Just like with cajun food unless you know exactly what spices and preparation go into it,it's just another dish.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:26 PM

200 posts, read 293,226 times
When was the last time you had a bowl of Wolf brand chili?

Old 10-15-2012, 05:10 AM

332 posts, read 529,603 times
i second taco bell and their dorito nacho taco shells.. nomnomnom!

Old 10-15-2012, 08:24 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Taco Bell? Best Mexican food in SA? I really question the credibility of those that say this.

That said, I don't think Taco Bell is bad at all. It just doesn't come to my mind at all when I try to think of the best mexican food in SA.

Taco Bueno was even better than Taco Bell to me.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:15 AM

905 posts, read 1,631,697 times
MOST Mexican restaurants are good in their own way and everyone has their favorites.

Taco Garage: Shrimp Nachos, Shrimp Enchiladas, Margaritas and live patio music., and borracho Beans
Betos: Fish Tacos
Rosarios: Tortilla Soup
La Fogata: Margaritas and Sea Food Kabobs
La Margarita: Margaritas and the best Mixed Grill plate for 2 or more.
La Puntada on Pleasanton Rd: Good ol Guisada tacos on homemade flour tortillas

Last edited by ggeorgie; 10-15-2012 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: forgot a reataurant

Old 10-19-2012, 04:05 PM

200 posts, read 293,226 times
My brother takes me to some different hole-in-the-wall mom&pop place every time I go down to visit in SA. I don't know what qualifies as "best" as they all excel at something. El Chaparell is too far from town to be considered a SA restaurant. That is close to him and he is out by Medina Lake. I always liked Taco Cabana for quick "fast food" type Mexican food. It beats out a lot of the big name places a lot of times for price, wait times, quality of food and even atmosphere. Some of the big crowded name places tend to get really crowded, loud and you get lost in the waiter's litany of tables.
Sometimes it's more like a loud cowboy saloon than a pleasant dining experience.

He does like someplace down on the Riverwalk for their $25 a pitcher margaritas. I don't drink so he can have it. Too many of the Riverwalk eateries are way overrated. They might make it up here in DC but that is due to the fact we have places like Chevy's and other chains that try to pass themselves off as authentic. Authentic crap is what they are.

As far a Taco Bell...it is OK when you are driving out in the middle of nowhere, have to get something to eat and don't have much choice but I wouldn't classify it as Mexican food. I can eat their taco salad with no problem but other than that you can get the same stuff in a box with "Old El Paso" on it. Pass me the bag of Tostitos and a jar of Pace when it comes down to that point.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:25 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreater View Post
When was the last time you had a bowl of Wolf brand chili?
TOTALLY FUNNY STORY!!! My darling husband's grandma made the BEST chili in the entire world...when we live in Japan he dreamed of his grandma's fantastic chili. When we went ot visit her in 1990 in Vegas, since she was 92 yrs old, I felt this my chance to inheret the family receipe that would make my hubby happy forever. IMAGINE my shock when she pulled out cans of Wolf brand chili without beans and stated this was the "coveted family recipe"!!!!!!
To this day, my DH thinks I perfected his grandma's recipe.....god love them both!!!!!

Old 10-20-2012, 08:48 PM

229 posts, read 423,918 times
Hilarious! I actually did have some (no beans) over rice not too long ago. It is what it is. I actually enjoy it now and then. I do know how to make chili, but hey, I live alone and that's a lot of trouble for just me.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:41 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
OK...darling son took us to this little place for lunch today that he loves....called El Roberto. It is in the old Crystal Burger location acros from Ingram Park Mall.

Seen it a million times but would have never stopped in.

MAN, am I ever glad he took us!! Food was GREAT, salsa bar was FANTASTIC and it is REALLY, REALLY GOOD!! I normally don't even eat the rice, but theres was really tasty. Even their beans were much better than normal...I had cheese enchiladas, hubby had the double chili rellano plate and son had some KILLER burrito....ice tea all around and $21 bill. Open 24x7....WILL be back for sure!

Who would have thought???!?!?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio