Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 09:19 PM

469 posts, read 2,344,350 times

Advertisements

I like Mamcitas, every time I've eaten at El Chapparal it's been really greasy. Like I can't even eat the beans because of the pool of grease on the top. Not my style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 11:36 AM

13 posts, read 33,606 times
You want some real....tasty authentic mexican food??......leave San Antonio and visit El Paso TX. When you walk in a whole in the wall and order your food and they break out an old machetti (sp?) and chop up ur meat that the just sliced off of the biggest hunk of meat you've ever seen....u know ur getting some good stuff. I've also eatten at great places like this in Southeastern NC. UMMMM, i'm getting so hungry thinkin about the great food in el paso.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:15 PM

163 posts, read 546,767 times
I saw the movie "Bulletproof" and always wanted to have that freshly-macheted beef.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:43 PM

358 posts, read 822,732 times
We like:

1. El Chaparral
2. Taco Haven
3. Los Barrios

For margaritas: Cha-Cha's on Babcock. Their top shelf is dyn-o-mite!

Old 05-06-2008, 11:40 PM

604 posts, read 1,874,181 times
my mom's house....

(mmmmm............................................ ..)

Old 05-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,158,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
El Marisol on Blanco Rd. just past Bitters has crazy margaritas!
Their chips and salsa are excellent, too.

I've never had anything less than an excellent meal there.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:10 AM

There is a place in Schertz called La Tortilleria that is really good. You would take 35N, then exit Roy Richards Dr and take a right, go straight until you HAVE to take a left or right and turn left. Its on the right-hand side.

Enchiladas are insane good.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:01 PM

30 posts, read 111,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennanKG View Post
Ozzy,

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your "facts" regarding Mexican food.

While I'd agree with you insofar as the wider popularity of some (more) southern specialties such as molle (although even molle is enjoying a growth in popularity) I've eaten Mexican food all over the contiguous US and down as far as Mexico City and Veracruz. Texas is the only region wherein I've:
a) Been unable to find shredded beef (barbacoa, al pastor, etc) finding instead the ground (picadillo) beef.
b) Found restaurants serving chili con carne over enchiladas.

These observations have led me to label the Mexican cuisine hereabouts as "Tex-Mex".

If such comments would be highly offensive to Mexican Americans (would those be Mex-Americans just in TX or all over?) then I grieve at the damage I might have inflicted but I stand by my reasoning.

Regards,
B.

Hi Brennan,

As mexican, im going to try to explain to you, and to all other posters, the problem that you are having with the Mexican Food Concept.
Mexico is a very big country with different cultures, weather and specialities, for example, in Veracruz, they use a lot of Fish because they are near from the Gulf of Mexico, refried beans, and a lot of sweet fruit like Banana in their dishes. As a not very rich country, we dont have the posibility to move fresh products from sea to the interior of the country, thats why we have more meat in interior cities, some of this cities have regional dishes, like the mole in Oaxaca. In Baja they have more lobster and shrimps because is another weather and other sea, so they have other dishes like the Lobster Tacos.
I use to ate a lot of food from Veracruz, because my mothers family is from there, but my wife's family is from Merida, Yucatan, very near from Cancun, and they have a complete different way to prepare the food, and delicious too, like the "Cochinita Pibil", my wifes specialty, or the "panuchos".
So when you talk about Mexican food, i can tell you that the most that you know, is the nearest that you have, the north food from Mexico, that is a lot of Beef from Monterrey, or frontier cities. But i think even Tex-Mex food, is mexican food, another part of this rich mexican flavors, only adapted by Texans as a Regional Type of Mexican Food, we have in each city, a dish that define us, same thing that happens in US, with BBQ in Texas, or Cajun in New Orleans.
By the way, we have a vacation house in San Antonio, near la cantera, and when we stay more than a month in the city, we realy need some mexican food, so my father discover this place named "Taqueria Aguascalientes", located on the 1604, and i think is Babcock, where you can find a very good Pator and Barbacoa, you only have to go to your house and serve them with corn tortillas because they only have flour ones, that is need to be consider a sin.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:14 PM

If you can't find Barbacoa in San Antonio, there is seriously something wrong. It's everywhere!!!

Old 05-07-2008, 12:55 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,463,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmammoo View Post
If you can't find Barbacoa in San Antonio, there is seriously something wrong. It's everywhere!!!
I was just about to say that! Brennan, where in Texas have you gone searching for barbacoa that you haven't found it? BTW...yes, it IS Tex-Mex and there is not a thing wrong with chili con carne served over enchiladas. Quite tasty, IMO.

Pokesin makes an excellent point. Why is it that people cannot understand that, just like in the U.S., you have regional dishes in Mexico?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio