Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 03:17 PM

11 posts, read 21,331 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about taking a job in San Antonio. I currently live in Dallas / Fort Worth area. So far 2009 has been pretty unkind to me --- my girlfriend told me to take a hike, I lost my job here in Dallas, and I've had major surgery. Needless to say bad luck comes in threes, and fortunately, I've received a job offer in San Antonio. The job would be located approximately 2 miles west of the airport on Loop 410.

Knowing my current stage of life, can anyone suggest an apartment complex which has a lot of young professionals in my similar state? I'm young, highly educated, ambitious, and looking to network and meet a lot of new people. I've got some family in San Antonio, so I know I could get plugged in that way, but I want to live in a place (apartment preferably for now) that meets the following qualifications, put in order of preference:

1) Lots of young professionals.
2) Isn't outrageously expensive.
3) Is in a good location close to work.
4) Can get to downtown easily --- that's where family lives.

Last question --- the salary figure they gave me is significantly lower than what I was making here in DFW. Is cost of living a lot lower in SA than DFW?

Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 04:13 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Dave

Can't help you with a cheap yuppie apartment complex, I am way past that stage in my life; but as for the cost of living differences between DFW and SA, I thought the former was a lot more expensive but I pulled these stats off the main City Data page for each and you will see the differences are not that substantial...

Dallas:
Estimated median household income in 2007: $40,986 (it was $37,628 in 2000)
Estimated median house or condo value in 2007: $128,400 (it was $87,400 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2007: $737

SA:
Estimated median household income in 2007: $41,593 (it was $36,214 in 2000)
Estimated median house or condo value in 2007: $106,200 (it was $67,500 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2007: $698

But from a personal perspective I would say a new job and a change of scenery may do you a world of good considering your recent run of bad luck.

Plus, while SA may be more of a family town, Austin is close by and was where I hung out back in the days when I was younger, single and a "player."

Oh, and except during rush hour, it is easy to get around in SA; so don't worry about getting downtown as it is a half hour's drive from most of the city.

Best of luck to you, I hope it all works out!

Cheers! M2

Old 04-01-2009, 04:55 PM

majormadmax, thanks very much! Does anyone else have some good suggestions?

Old 04-01-2009, 05:17 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Hi Dave.....welcome to San Antonio. Having lived in the Metroplex for 20 years, I was happy to exit the rat race and come back to San Antonio.

I have a lot of family in both places and SA's cost of living is significantly more affordable. $ for $ price per square foot for apartments might be close if you want it to be newer and a bit more upscale.

Since you will be two miles West of the Airport, you might want to look at apartments near the Medical Center. Specifically there are some nice (not quite so new) apartments along Callaghan, between Fredericksburg Rd and I-10.

Also along Medical Drive between the same two streets. Right North of 410 and Vance Jackson.....keep driving and you'll find a mecca of all kinds of apartment complexes. East of I-10 and Heubner also has a number of fairly new complexes that are gated and very appealing. Because of the Medical Center as well as UTSA's North Campus AND USAA HQ, there should be quite a few young professionals throughout that area.

My suggestion is to call an apartment locator and tell them EXACTLY what you want. Price? sq footage? pets? amenities? shopping? etc. They have the skinny on move in specials....and they know the demographic make up of most of the apartment communities. You don't pay the fee....the apartment complex does.

All of these areas will be within a very convenient driving distance to your work....and just a hop on I-10 would take you downtown to see the fam.

Good luck.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:33 PM

993 posts, read 2,490,143 times
I live and work east of the airport, and am a professional as well with a college degree. I am looking to meet some like minded individuals too. Good luck in your search.

Here are some suggestions for apartments:
Lakeside Villas
Villas of Oakwell Farms
Newport Apartments

Old 04-01-2009, 11:19 PM

Thanks for all the advice so far....I am nervous about moving to a city where I only know a few people --- how easy is it to get out there and meet new people in San Antonio? I'm planning on visiting soon just to get a feel for it, but how easy would I be able to meet new people? Thanks.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:24 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times
How close do you want to me to your job?

Old 04-01-2009, 11:32 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave View Post
Thanks for all the advice so far....I am nervous about moving to a city where I only know a few people --- how easy is it to get out there and meet new people in San Antonio? I'm planning on visiting soon just to get a feel for it, but how easy would I be able to meet new people? Thanks.
Here's a place to start! San Antonio, TX Meetup Groups - Meetup.com
Close to 250 interest groups and counting! Or start your own.

Also, will you be working for a large company? That's often the best way to meet people. Even if it's not too large, people are great about introducing you around. Join a church or volunteer at many organizations around town too....where ever you meet people with similar interests....you'll be fine!

Old 04-01-2009, 11:32 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave View Post
, but how easy would I be able to meet new people? Thanks.
That question is subjective. How can we possibly answer that without knowing you? if you're a nice person, it'll be much easier to meet people than if you are a total jackass.....

Old 04-02-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
How close do you want to me to your job?
I don't have to be super close, but would like a short commute (less than 10-15 miles if possible). I live in Dallas right now & I dreaded my 30 mile commute in to work, so that is a no go.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, please keep them coming. I need all the help I can get!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio