Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 02:07 PM

490 posts, read 1,094,954 times

Advertisements

I've got way too many smokeybrown cockroaches that show up dead and alive in my Alamo Heights-area house. My wife is about to go nuts, and while we like our pest control guy, he seems to only have 1 sprayer of pesticide in his aresenal, and it doesn't seem to help.

We're not messy people, we don't live in filth, clutter or other trash and our yard is no overgrown jungle. It is a highly embarrasing problem for our occasional house guests to see.

Any ideas or recommendations on a cockroach expert? I need them eradicated and I am willing to do anything or hire anyone at nearly any expense to get it resolved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 02:12 PM

135 posts, read 551,076 times
I recommend Hometeam, their warranty makes it well worth it. If you see a bug after they treat, they'll come out again for free. DM me for more info.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:29 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Check out CelesteDF's post in this thread:
Need pest control for new house

Old 05-13-2009, 02:29 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,993 times
Cats are the best Pest control you can buy. Once they find one, they'll patrol your house for days looking for another.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:16 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,666,076 times
The first thing you need to do is stop them from coming into your living area. Go to the hardware store and get a couple of tubes of silicone caulk and a caulking gun. This will cost you about $10.
This is going to be labor intensive, but once it is done, you don't have to do it again.
You have to go through all your cabinets, all the plumbing fixtures, The top and bottom of the floor molding, All around the doors molding, all the electrical outlets and light switches, all the lighting fixtures etc and seal everywhere that they can get in. A cockroach can get through a 1/64 inch space. Pay particular attention to plumbing connections, A lot of builders do not put the metal flanges around the pipes so there is a big hole. They are cheap so buy some and use them and seal them with the silicone. Sprinkle borax (20 muleteam borax, in the soap isle at the market) in the back of all the cabinets and under the edge of the kitchen cabinets and appliances at floor level. This is not harmful to people or pets so it's ok for it to be in your cabinets. Cockroaches cannot burp. Borax causes them to creat gas and they explode and die. If you find any dead roaches, re-do the sealent. Once you are sealed up, you need a good service inside and out for a while to prevent further infestation. You need to remove your pet food feeder and just put down enough food for meals and wash the dishes every day. Once they cannot get in, they will leave to find food and water elsewhere. When they are gone, just continue to spray outside. Inspect your attic space for roaches periodically, however, if you have eliminated them from your home they should not stick around. They usually live where there is food. Good Luck

Old 05-13-2009, 05:56 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
The first thing you need to do is stop them from coming into your living area. Go to the hardware store and get a couple of tubes of silicone caulk and a caulking gun. This will cost you about $10.
This is going to be labor intensive, but once it is done, you don't have to do it again.
You have to go through all your cabinets, all the plumbing fixtures, The top and bottom of the floor molding, All around the doors molding, all the electrical outlets and light switches, all the lighting fixtures etc and seal everywhere that they can get in. A cockroach can get through a 1/64 inch space. Pay particular attention to plumbing connections, A lot of builders do not put the metal flanges around the pipes so there is a big hole. They are cheap so buy some and use them and seal them with the silicone. Sprinkle borax (20 muleteam borax, in the soap isle at the market) in the back of all the cabinets and under the edge of the kitchen cabinets and appliances at floor level. This is not harmful to people or pets so it's ok for it to be in your cabinets. Cockroaches cannot burp. Borax causes them to creat gas and they explode and die. If you find any dead roaches, re-do the sealent. Once you are sealed up, you need a good service inside and out for a while to prevent further infestation. You need to remove your pet food feeder and just put down enough food for meals and wash the dishes every day. Once they cannot get in, they will leave to find food and water elsewhere. When they are gone, just continue to spray outside. Inspect your attic space for roaches periodically, however, if you have eliminated them from your home they should not stick around. They usually live where there is food. Good Luck
Do NOT USE BORAX in areas where pets or children have access. Borax is LETHAL even in small quantities. Google it! This information above is incorrect and dangerous. Seal all you want, but leave the chemicals to experts!

Old 05-13-2009, 07:06 PM

358 posts, read 821,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post
I've got way too many smokeybrown cockroaches that show up dead and alive in my Alamo Heights-area house. My wife is about to go nuts, and while we like our pest control guy, he seems to only have 1 sprayer of pesticide in his aresenal, and it doesn't seem to help.

We're not messy people, we don't live in filth, clutter or other trash and our yard is no overgrown jungle. It is a highly embarrasing problem for our occasional house guests to see.

Any ideas or recommendations on a cockroach expert? I need them eradicated and I am willing to do anything or hire anyone at nearly any expense to get it resolved.
1. You cannot eliminate cockroaches, try as you might. You can only semi-control them.
2. Try to become one with the cockroach. They're relatively harmless. They don't bite, even when they crawl across your face while you're sleeping. We go way back with them. We've lived with them since we were little lemur-like creatures staring at T. Rex out of a hole in the ground. They're really like family, when you think about it. Maybe the black sheep of the family, but still...can you really kick 'em to the curb and feel good about it?
3. Borax is not acutely toxic. You'd have to eat a boxful to have a serious reaction. You're not a cockroach after all.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:02 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
I understand it is due to the drought we are experiencing...it doesn't always have to do with your level of cleanliness.

Apparently the cockroaches are looking for water just like every other living creature. We actually had our first one in the house the other day, but at work we get them all the time...

Cheers! M2

Old 05-13-2009, 08:04 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg2ntst View Post
They don't bite, even when they crawl across your face while you're sleeping.
No way did I just read that right before bedtime. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits for that.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:13 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,246,257 times
omg LMAO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio