Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 01:02 PM

226 posts, read 926,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Thats why they're are standards and codes.

Just my 2 cents.
When most of these homes were built I bet the foundations were not engineered to the soil conditions. According to my KB salesman, KB used the same engineered foundation for many areas of the city. Problem is that soil conditions are different throughout the city. Now they test every lot and take soil samples. The foundations are engineered for each lots soil conditions.

Standards and codes also have gotten more strict over the years. Homes built today are engineered and designed to stricter requirements. However, it doesn't mean that poor work doesn't happen. Every house should be inspected by the home owner during construction.

I wouldn't trust ANY BUILDER PERIOD. They make mistakes, cut corners sometimes, but you are the one that is going to live with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 02:23 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsndip View Post
Yes, those pesky folks feeling "entitled" to things like construction built to code... it's really quite annoying when they want their roofs to have shingles, or to have the frame of their houses actually anchored to the slab. Some people have all the nerve...
We all know that the homes were built to code. If they weren't - where was the city inspector that signed off on them prior to completion?

Old 05-28-2009, 02:31 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,000,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
We all know that the homes were built to code. If they weren't - where was the city inspector that signed off on them prior to completion?
If you think that was code the you must have seen a different new cast than I did.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I usually choose not to respond to post like this because it gets you no where and helps no one but..... the way i read you post your are being very judgmental and dare I even say ( hope it doesn't get deleted). Your just being mean and nasty. Sorry if I'm wrong and I apologize. If I understand this story correctly, theses are people that have bought homes. They paid good money thinking they were getting a decent product. Thats why they're are standards and codes.

Just my 2 cents.
They bought in a public housing subdivision...which means that the purchase of their home was subsidized by folks like you and me. I'm not being nasty or mean. I am simply saying that if you go to any subsidized housing complex/development in any major city in the US - they tend to be run down and poorly taken care of. I am just stating the facts. They may (and many probably are) poorly and cheaply constructed - but that doesn't change the fact that they were built to code and passed the standard set by the local municipality.

If poeple have a problem why aren't we looking also at the civic leaders that decided that the bare minimum home evidently barely passing code was good enough? KB was given a project - they took it (I wish they hadn't) and completed it according to the plan and budget they were given. You can't build custom homes for bargain basement pricing.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123456 View Post
When most of these homes were built I bet the foundations were not engineered to the soil conditions. According to my KB salesman, KB used the same engineered foundation for many areas of the city. Problem is that soil conditions are different throughout the city. Now they test every lot and take soil samples. The foundations are engineered for each lots soil conditions.

Standards and codes also have gotten more strict over the years. Homes built today are engineered and designed to stricter requirements. However, it doesn't mean that poor work doesn't happen. Every house should be inspected by the home owner during construction.

I wouldn't trust ANY BUILDER PERIOD. They make mistakes, cut corners sometimes, but you are the one that is going to live with it.
Well said.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:33 PM

299 posts, read 608,001 times
Like I've posted previously, why would anyone buy a KB home?

Old 05-28-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
If you think that was code the you must have seen a different new cast than I did.
They couldn't have been occupied if they didn't pass the city inspector just like any other house. They had to have been built to code. If they weren't - then the local city inspector turned a blind eye to the majority of the homes in that community. If that happened...then we have a corruption issue on the part of both the builder, the city and good old Henry Cisneros...who is alway in the mood for a good bribe.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:39 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,864 times
Quote:
You're kidding , right? Several of San Antonio's esteemed inspectors have spent time in Huntsville.

Red tagging a site built by the largest home builder with Cisneros at the helm? I can think of worse ways to sabotage one's career with the city but....now I can not think of it.

I find it somewhat akin to the Southwest ticket scandal and the DA not seeing anything wrong with using a stolen ticket. Legal exposure? NONE.

San Antonio isn't Chicago, but it isn't Hooterville either.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:40 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,000,621 times
Quote:
They couldn't have been occupied if they didn't pass the city inspector just like any other house. They had to have been built to code. If they weren't - then the local city inspector turned a blind eye to the majority of the homes in that community. If that happened...then we have a corruption issue on the part of both the builder, the city and good old Henry Cisneros...who is alway in the mood for a good bribe.
Ya think????

(I'm not sure thats the right phrase but you know what i mean)!!

Old 05-28-2009, 02:43 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,864 times
Quote:

Ding, Ding, Ding, We may have a winner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio