Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:31 AM

299 posts, read 607,813 times

Advertisements

My wife and I went there this weekend. I think I'll be sticking to the more questionable malls in town. At least they have air conditioning!

It was absolutely miserable shopping there with the heat. It feels like Fiesta Texas- one big sauna.

My pregnant wife was not amused with the whole experience. We won't be back any time soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 10:39 AM

175 posts, read 303,783 times
Well, it's the most "upscale" shopping you'll find in San Antonio. It's an open air concept, so it's not meant to have air conditioning.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:40 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,615,008 times
I thought they were insane when they built it. Who wants to walk around outside in the kind of heat we get in the summer???

I have to say I do love it during the cooler months. And I think it's beautifully landscaped.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:41 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
La Cantera's attempts to shade shoppers and cool them with fans are no match for the triple-digit temperatures we've had lately.

You'll find more discussion of the upscaleness of La Cantera in this thread about shoppertainment. To avoid creating a two-headed mess that leads to insults and tangents about other parts of town, let's confine discussions of the "upscale experience" to that thread and the heat at La Cantera to this thread we're in now. I just updated the title to reflect this thread's focus.

Last edited by Bo; 06-15-2009 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: Added sentence about updating the thread title.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:03 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,689,106 times
I'm a fan of the Shops at La Cantera, but mainly because it only takes me 10 minutes tops to get there from home. During the cooler months I'll go just go and wander. But, during the warmer months I go on missions with certain things and certain locations in mind, because of the heat and general crappy-ness. Maybe they could add some misters? I mean, there are lots of trees and coverings, but then again...there isn't much of a difference from 105 to 95 is there?

It's different strokes for different folks, I guess. And I don't see any indoor malls or entertainment areas coming anytime soon..anywhere in the San Antonio area. Sorry indoor shopping fans.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:13 AM

203 posts, read 561,183 times
First of all if you were truly shopping you would have been inside a store most of the time. Secondly, this is the perfect way of keeping thugs from just hanging out at a mall (Rivercenter). Lastly, since you knew it was an outdoor mall and 100 degrees it may have made more sense for you to go in the evening, say after 7. Had they built an indoor mall it would have just been another North Star and nothing special.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:02 PM

299 posts, read 607,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakssa View Post
First of all if you were truly shopping you would have been inside a store most of the time. Secondly, this is the perfect way of keeping thugs from just hanging out at a mall (Rivercenter). Lastly, since you knew it was an outdoor mall and 100 degrees it may have made more sense for you to go in the evening, say after 7. Had they built an indoor mall it would have just been another North Star and nothing special.
You mean it isn't hot at 7? Wow, I'll have to remember that next time and plan my shopping accordingly. I chose that mall because it was the closest location for the item my wife was looking for, and turned out, that happened to by a concession stand that wasn't in an air conditioned store.

Also, do I have the wrong definition of shopping? Usually when I go to the mall to shop, it's because there are lots of different stores in one location to look at.

Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by Bo; 06-15-2009 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Don't use the word "troll" to describe another member. It's considered a personal attack here.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:06 PM

69 posts, read 202,867 times
There are tons of stores at La Cantera, all within walking distance. I would just plan accordingly knowing its outdoors. Looks like you're going alone or using the internet for a time. Good luck w/ the pregnancy.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:55 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,383,829 times
California has a lot of outside malls, but they also have weather (I'm talking Coastal California) that a human can actually live outside in during the summer. I would never go to an outside anything here in the summer if I could help it. This weather is just stupid hot

Old 06-15-2009, 02:59 PM

322 posts, read 774,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
This weather is just stupid hot
crazy stupid hot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio