Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 05:45 PM

797 posts, read 2,992,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
The BCAD how has access to sale prices of homes and real property. anytime there is a sale, the property is apprased at the sale value. It used to be that they did not have that information and increased values by percentage. Now they go by sales prices of comps. in the area, if not the actual sales prices as registered in the court house.
Can't win.
That explains why our appraised value came back exactly what we paid for it last April! Maybe we would do better than I thought if we had to resell anytime soon?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 08:27 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
Units are rented until 08 of may so do not think i can file homestead. Selling now is not good because I have only had the property for about a year and I want to wait at least 2 yrs to get descent appreciation. I think in 5yrs San Antonio will be an amazing place, but I do not think I can wait this long due to these insane taxes.
You can't file for a homestead exemption unless you occupy the building.

http://www.bcad.org/save_on_property_taxes.htm

Old 04-23-2007, 10:59 PM

679 posts, read 2,834,190 times
Is there any kind of exemption on land, or how do property taxes affect that? When do the notices go out to let you know how much you owe? Do you pay it in one lump sum, or what?

Old 04-24-2007, 06:42 AM

173 posts, read 617,525 times
I heard that if you get the property pulled from the MLS before closing it makes it harder for them to track the selling price. Any truth to this?

Old 04-24-2007, 08:11 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
The BCAD goes by the sale posted in the court house. The deed and sale get recorded in the courthouse records. BCAD now has benefit of getting this information and has begun appraisals at the sale price. Pulling it will not help.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:10 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Is there any kind of exemption on land, or how do property taxes affect that? When do the notices go out to let you know how much you owe? Do you pay it in one lump sum, or what?
Do you mean large tracts of land? You can get an agricultural exemption if the land is in ag. use. Each county sets its own requirements for determining ag use, but in general, you really have to be working the land (ranching or farming). The county agents are very good at spotting 'hoaxes'. There can be minimum size requirements (I have never heard of less than 5 acres, but there could be some cases) and some have animal loading rates (so many acres per animal, etc). OF course, a house and the land it is on do not fall into the ag. exemption, but you can separate a property into an exempt portion and a homestead portion. My folks own ~24 acres in the HC, and on the 22 that is ag exempt (sheep), they pay ~$150/yr.

There is also a habitat improvement exemption of some sort. Not as familiar with this, but you basically have to have a piece of land and imporvie that natural hibitat for native species (add brush shelter or such). Not sure what the restrictions on this type of land is, but the tax breaks are similar to ag land.

As for payment, many people pay through escrow in their monthly payments. Other people pay in a lump sum at the end of the year. If you do that, make sure you pay by Dec 31, or you cannot deduct the taxes from your federal taxes until the next year.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:38 AM

Thanks, TrainWreck. I have right around 5 acres that states I have ag/timber value. Is there a market for cedar wood? I intend to keep my oak and other hardwood and will only remove just enough to make room for my house. I would love to cell the cedar wood, if there is a market. The land has a wet weather creek that I am going to clear out and fill in with river rock, to make it decorative, with arched bridges. I intend to make it a parklike setting.

I've signed up to have the taxes paid through escrow, but I've never received a bill. I'll probably faint. Glad to know that I have until the end of the year to figure it out. I should know before then how much it will be and will pay the first year in lump sum. I was getting a little concerned, not knowing how to pay my taxes there. Thanks again.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:09 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
You should be able to get a statement from the lender re: taxes being paid into escrow. I know the big lenders (e.g. Bank of America, Chase) let you log on your account via computer and check how much is being paid. Also, at the end of the year, the county usually sends a postcard that summarizes the taxes.

There is probably a market for cedar if it is big enough. 'Scrub' cedar is pretty durn common and probably won't get you much, other than cheap firewood (cedar has lots of oil/water, so it spits and crackles like crazy, and forms lots of tar in your chimney).

Careful with altering the creek. If the creek qualifies as 'waters of the state', then you might want to check with someone. I don't know the exact definition, but if there is visible evidence of regular water flow (even if intermittant) and the creek connects to another river/lake, then it might qualify as a 'water of the state'.

Edit:
Okay, I just asked someone who knows a lot more than me on this subject, and as long as you are not altering the flow characteristics (direction, rate, etc.) you are generally fine. Bascially, be careful of daming up the flow or covering the channel in an impervious material that will incease the run-off rate.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:41 PM

531 posts, read 2,074,525 times
i bought a property in nov 06 and i get an appraised value that is 25k more then what i paid for it in nov. I do not believe that i made 25k in what 6 month.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:56 PM

Thanks TW. I have no plans to altering it or damming it, or anything. Just clean the brush out and putting some decorative river rocks in the botton and sides, as well as a cross over bridge (one you walk over).

The only taxes the lender is collecting is .42 county tax. I haven't received any other notice as to how much the true taxes are going to be. I think they are collecting the same taxes the land seller was paying...I don't know. I contacted "Sherman" at the appraiser's office and he said they will pick up on it and notify me...so I guess I just wait. I'll certainly keep that email, that's for sure...just in case.

Somebody told me about burning cedar in the fireplace and the gummy problems it causes. I would never take that chance.

I don't know what kind of cedar I have. Guess I'll find out before having the land cleared. Thanks for all of this info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio