Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:25 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Do you think, Chaka, that perhaps more people willa ctually be on the road DRIVING cars they otherwise woud've never have driven? Joe Blow down the street has 4 cars, and has a clunker. he sells the clunker he never drives and then now he has a brand new car. That's 5 cars on the street now. More traffic, more exhaust and more clunkers for the future.

I dunno, might be more harm than good.
One person can only drive one car at a time, so no, I don't see it as having MORE cars on the road. Joe will probably be driving the new, more fuel efficient car and leave the other 5 at home, unless he has some way of driving all 5 at once.

But I don't know too many people who have 5 cars at home all for themselves.

I do wish the standards had been higher - like 30mpg rather than "10 mpg over the previous" (could be wrong on that, I didn't pay too close attention).

I wish people would CHOOSE to do things on their own, like be more fuel efficient, conserve water, conserve energy, consume less resources, etc. But most Americans need a push. Ideally the $$ would have gone into improving infrastructure to improve public transport and incentives to use public transport, which would reduce the environmental costs of creating cars and having any cars on the road, but that's not going to happen......and it wouldn't help the dealers or the manufacturers. Unless of course we manage to turn swords (consumption/car manufacturing) into ploughshares (public transport jobs)

Old 08-04-2009, 09:28 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
Wake up America!
I actually agree with you. I think that program is bad.

What I don't like is when people are blinded by political ideologies and only complain when "the other side" spends money.

Again,
I agree with you. But I really doubt that you called the "$8000 tax credit" wasteful spending. (I did, even though I took the money )

Old 08-04-2009, 09:35 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I wish people would CHOOSE to do things on their own, like be more fuel efficient, conserve water, conserve energy, consume less resources, etc.
What a lot of people don't realize is that what's profitable is not always what's best for the country.

I bet museums are the less profitable things that you can find in the World,
could be called "wasteful spending" because is not profitable.
Is it good for a society to have museums? Yes.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:37 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times
Don't worry, they have already put a halt on the CARS program. Its already over budget! Done spent 1 billion $$.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Can't discuss national politics in a local forum, folks. Feel free to jump into one of the threads in the Politics and Other Controversies forum discussing this issue. This thread is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio