Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:11 PM

204 posts, read 635,300 times

Advertisements

Is it reasonable, expensive, cheap...

I also hear San Antonio and its suburbs are among the most affordable cities in Texas. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 09:14 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
Depends on how much you use. You'll hear figures that are "all over the board" once this thread runs it's course. Summer can range from $75 ish..to over $400 per month. Some like to ease the pain and spread the payments over the entire year.
Yes, it's affordable here....but wages tend to be lower too...

Old 10-02-2009, 07:02 AM

432 posts, read 3,659,496 times
I have a new 2000 SF single story house... we keep the thermostat at 74 and highest electricity bill was agust at $130. I just got my september bill and it was about $120. My bills this past january and february were about $70/month.

My 600 SF apartment that i used to live in cost about $220/month!!! I guess it all depends on the energy efficiency of where you are living.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
San Antonio has a city-owned gas and electric utility. That means the city keeps the profits from the sale of those utilities to ratepayers, not the stockholders of a corporation. Electricity is so cheap in San Antonio that big companies are setting up datacenters here. Datacenters use a lot of electricity and can be located in just about about any major city in the country. The fact that they locate here tells you that electricity is about as cheap here as it is in any major city in the country.

Even so, as the other examples make clear, you'll still have to use plenty of it to keep your home comfortable with air conditioning.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:18 PM

546 posts, read 1,500,235 times
We had a tiny apartment and our last bill was 300 bucks then again it was old and crappy. We recently purchased an 1800sqft home and can hopefully expect lower bills as it is energy star and probably more efficient than the apartment we were residing in.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:54 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
San Antonio has a city-owned gas and electric utility. That means the city keeps the profits from the sale of those utilities to ratepayers, not the stockholders of a corporation. Electricity is so cheap in San Antonio that big companies are setting up datacenters here. Datacenters use a lot of electricity and can be located in just about about any major city in the country. The fact that they locate here tells you that electricity is about as cheap here as it is in any major city in the country.

Even so, as the other examples make clear, you'll still have to use plenty of it to keep your home comfortable with air conditioning.
It's not going to be cheap much longer. We'll be paying more in the future for increasing our capacity to keep up with demand from these data centers and others.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:39 PM

399 posts, read 1,139,584 times
It's significantly cheaper in SA than other cities in Texas whose utilities opened up their markets to competition. You only have one choice in SA, CPS Energy. This would seem like a bad idea but it's worked out very well for San Antonians.

However, everything else that people tell you is cheaper in SA, it's no cheaper than Houston. I can't speak to other TX cities, but I came from Houston and have been sorely disappointed in the cost of living. I'm not saving a dime aside from energy costs.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:32 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Good rates and great rebates if you're savvy! Check Welcome to CPS Energy

Old 10-03-2009, 07:55 AM

418 posts, read 1,240,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Apples and oranges.

Our politicians have given away electricity to corporations at rates that you nor I will never receive.

Now we will have to pay 5% hike per year, for electricity we don't even use.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:59 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traficdogn View Post
Apples and oranges.

Our politicians have given away electricity to corporations at rates that you nor I will never receive.
They're giving those rate deals for the 3 dozen jobs each datacenter brings and bragging rights. But that's a gripe for another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: