Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 08:06 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times

Advertisements

This is a preview of the Riverwalk during the Christmas season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U9oSQaPpQE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 11:56 AM

72 posts, read 165,354 times
WOW, thanks for the preview Steel Man, I loved it!! I have such a great feeling about our trip. No matter what, I know that we will have a great time. Telling friends and family that we are moving to San Antonio is not going so well. They tell me that graffiti and gangs are everywhere and blah, blah blah...

It's really frustrating to say the least. Getting great information from all of you and pretty much making me feel welcomed makes my family and I feel a lot better about our choice in moving to SA.

Thanks again for everything and a special thanks to Mike, AKA: majormadmax who has given me so much great information regarding where to live in Helotes!! I'll keep you all posted on our trip and I'll make sure to take lots of pictures!

Old 11-20-2009, 12:21 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,618,137 times
almitainco, I say, "Pffftttphhhttt!" to the naysayers. San Antonio is a big city, so yes, of course there is crime, there is grafitti, there are gangs... just like in ANY big city in this country.

I personally know one person who has had their home broken into. One. I know one person who had his truck broken into. One. The only gang related stuff I run into is stuff I hear about on the news. It isn't like we spend all of our time in a bunker or never leave the house, either. We're out and about all the time, all over the city, doing all the fun stuff there is to do in San Antonio.

So. Screw the naysayers.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:46 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
almitainco, I say, "Pffftttphhhttt!" to the naysayers. San Antonio is a big city, so yes, of course there is crime, there is grafitti, there are gangs... just like in ANY big city in this country.

I personally know one person who has had their home broken into. One. I know one person who had his truck broken into. One. The only gang related stuff I run into is stuff I hear about on the news. It isn't like we spend all of our time in a bunker or never leave the house, either. We're out and about all the time, all over the city, doing all the fun stuff there is to do in San Antonio.

So. Screw the naysayers.
Agree. The biggest crime in San Antonio is theft and more so during a recession. Just keep things locked and don't leave stuff in your car in plain sight...common sense things. There are some gangs here but most violence is against each other. Helotes is a nice area, but as is most of San Antonio is getting more crowded. You'll like the Hill Country next to us!

Old 11-20-2009, 02:24 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
Welcome to Texas...

While in Boerne or Helotes there is a Mexican restaurant called El Chapparel...in Boerne it's right on Main Street, you can't miss it --- it's very good food --- I have heard several on the board say they prefer the Helotes location, but I have only ever eaten at the Boerne location --- very very good beef fajitas, homemade tortillas, refried beans have a great flavor --- yum, now i'm hungry...

On the way out to Boerne there is a little area just before you enter Boerne called Leon Springs --- there is a BBQ place just off the highway called Rudy BBQ --- great food --- the cream corn is excellent --- also, a pizza place called Fralo's is just before Rudy's on the left ... also very good ...

Helotes and Boerne are both great areas/locations --- i am partail to Boerne, but only because I live out this way ... Love the low traffic going into Boerne from my area and the big yet small town feel of Boerne ... Boerne market days 1x a month, Farmer's Market every Saturday in Leon Springs, etc... i love everything about this area ...

Enjoy your visit!!!
Agree with both recommendations, but we prefer the Helotes el Chaparral and it is the nicer location of the two (but the Boerne one is nice too!).

There is also a Rudy's BBQ across from SeaWorld on 151, which is closer than the Leon Springs (but that one is the original Rudy's!). Both are excellent BBQ!

Cheers! M2

p.s. Steer clear of a place called Bill Millers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio