Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 08:09 AM

10 posts, read 38,261 times

Advertisements

YIKES! Bad, scarey news. We will have a VA Loan and the VA sends out their own inspectors. We know a few people who've not been able to secure the VA loan after inspection...I guess I now know why.

Thank you for the information. Even with the housing issues, we still can't wait to get to San Antonio!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 08:15 AM

144 posts, read 687,061 times
Woah there killer your on a very thin ice called slandering , you can go to allmost any subdivision and people will tell you the problems they had. I agree with that the super plays an inportant role in your home getting built right but its the contactors, some call them craftsmen or skilled. Not at all, as a matter of fact they just can't keep up. They same crappy worker that doesnt care about his work in the 100k production house is the same guy building the 300k production house. As for inspectors, in Redbird Ranch DR Horton is paying for third party inspectors so you don't have too.. You just need to keep an eye on the construction process and yes, don't buy a Spec home.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
It's not slander if it's true.

Quote:
As for inspectors, in Redbird Ranch DR Horton is paying for third party inspectors so you don't have too..
But why would you use an inspector that DR Horton is paying for? The whole point of bringing in an outside inspector is that they are loyal only to you and your checkbook, not the builder and his checkbook.

Unless you mean that DR Horton is reimbursing people for the cost of bringing in the inspector of their choice, in which case never mind.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:43 AM

470 posts, read 1,952,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockheed1 View Post
Woah there killer your on a very thin ice called slandering , you can go to allmost any subdivision and people will tell you the problems they had. I agree with that the super plays an inportant role in your home getting built right but its the contactors, some call them craftsmen or skilled. Not at all, as a matter of fact they just can't keep up. They same crappy worker that doesnt care about his work in the 100k production house is the same guy building the 300k production house. As for inspectors, in Redbird Ranch DR Horton is paying for third party inspectors so you don't have too.. You just need to keep an eye on the construction process and yes, don't buy a Spec home.
"Killer"...

I totally agree, that no matter who you build with, you'll hear about problems. Still, I say get an inspector. The poster was specifically asking about "Wildhorse", which is why I addressed that specific builder. If you check out Home Owners for Better Building (org), you'll see a lot more "slander".

You are right about sub-contractors. You can have a great Super, but still end up with a lemon if he can't keep up with having to keep correcting his sub-contractor's work. It's a tough place to be, but still up to him/her to build a home that is properly built. Intent and integrity often clash under the weight of the rigorous demands and deadlines.

We also had D.R. Horton's "third party" inspector come in as well. His final walkthrough inspection was 40 minutes (one person) which included going over his 1.5 page punch list. My inspector came in with an additional helper and took over 2 hours going over my new home. His report was 13 pages. It's not secret why builders hire their own "third party" inspectors. It's in their best interest to pass homes, even if there are code violations. They do it all the time.

Redbird Ranch is supposed to have pretty good Superintendents, so I hear. I'd still hire my own guy though regardless, in order to minimize the risks.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:09 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Well, great news for everyone living in Wildhorse...the construction on Braun Road is done!

Braun is now four-laned from 1604 all the way out to 1560 (Galm Rd), a distance of a little over a mile and a half. The traffic lights at the entrance to Wildhorse and Leslie Road are not activated, they are just blinking for now, but Braun itself is wide open! I am still not sure what good this whole project will do to relieve congestion in this area, I would have wanted the money spent on an overpass at Braun and 1604 instead; but at least the construction is done and no more half-mile back-ups going down Braun towards 1604!

Cheers! M2

Old 02-23-2009, 01:47 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,178,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
The traffic lights at the entrance to Wildhorse and Leslie Road are not activated, they are just blinking for now, but Braun itself is wide open!
Actually, they switched on the signal at Leslie on Saturday without even putting it in flash mode for a week, which is very unusual. Hopefully the signal at Wildhorse/Alyssum Field will be turned-on today.

Quote:
I am still not sure what good this whole project will do to relieve congestion in this area, I would have wanted the money spent on an overpass at Braun and 1604 instead; but at least the construction is done and no more half-mile back-ups going down Braun towards 1604!
Any improvements on 1604 are still on hold pending environmental clearance. The latest estimate from ARMA is 2017 for upgrading of 1604 from Bandera south to Military. Upgrading Braun was a county project anyways, and a good one given all the heavy trucks that use Braun and the inevitable growth that will occur along 1516 once the economy rebounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio