Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 02:35 PM

824 posts, read 1,816,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
yep, a good grocerty store would be great, I also have trouble finding an easy access way to downtown when friends are visiting. They don't find this area 'walkable' and the busess stop running too early. plus, no good parking downtown.
Hard to understand what you're saying re: walkable. If you're in King William, you're about a 10 minute walk from downtown. S. Alamo & S. St. Mary's will take you right in. And you can walk from almost every house in KW to restaurants, bars, galleries, shops, etc., so I think by any objective standards that's pretty walkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 02:43 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
More vintage Sapphire!

What a classic. This one's going on the bulletin boards.

(Oh, and don't forget to change your status to call me a stalker)
Ha! I knew you'd come crawling out to chime in. How DO you sleep at night?

Whatever helps, I suppose. And, a Southtown resident HERSELF is the one who says that this is what is happening. chaka lives there. Hello?

Old 09-12-2010, 02:53 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Schmoove comeback.

I don't dislike lower income people. I dislike the richers kicking them out of their homes. Because that is what truly happens. Then they pooh-pooh the suburbanites from their high horses.

Sickening, although it can be humorous.

It is quite humorous.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:19 PM

824 posts, read 1,816,419 times
Quote:
Ha! I knew you'd come crawling out to chime in. How DO you sleep at night?

Whatever helps, I suppose. And, a Southtown resident HERSELF is the one who says that this is what is happening. chaka lives there. Hello?
Oh, right, the comment that Chaka made three years ago...that one...well, here's a quick update:

You can still buy houses in Lavaca for less than $150k. And SAHA has constructed 2 new subsidized apartment complexes in the last 3 years. And there are plenty of rental options in the Southtown area that are less than $800/month. There is no affordable housing crisis in King William/Lavaca.

Moderator cut: off-topic/personal

Last edited by Bo; 09-12-2010 at 05:47 PM..

Old 09-12-2010, 04:47 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,723 times
As a Southtown resident for nearly 4 years now, I can say that what Dvlpr is saying is the honest truth. Living down here is affordable for ANY and ALL walks of life, considering there are not only the King William-priced homes, but also low income and starter levels too.

I don't see developers in the area trying to 'push' out the poor at all. Quite the contrary... There are more old buildings being converted to livable, affordable spaces than ever. It's what makes Southtown an incredible, and diverse, place to live. You might want to do a little more research on the subject before making comments about locations you're not totally familiar with.

As to the walkability factor of the area: It's amazing. The VIA Blue-line trolley will take you all over downtown and parking is not an issue, as per a recent thread here on CD. You've just got to do some research. Most of what I hear from suburbanites of San Antonio about the 'evils' of downtown is simply misinformation... That, and laziness. They don't really want to make the trip downtown, so basically any excuse will do.

BN

Old 09-12-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
Oh, right, the comment that Chaka made three years ago...that one...well, here's a quick update:

You can still buy houses in Lavaca for less than $150k. And SAHA has constructed 2 new subsidized apartment complexes in the last 3 years. And there are plenty of rental options in the Southtown area that are less than $800/month. There is no affordable housing crisis in King William/Lavaca.

Oh, and I sleep better at night by knowing whatever it is that I'm talking about. Maybe as a "happy suburbanite" who's clearly ignorant about the subject matter in this post, you ought to sit this one out...
My home in the suburbs, that someone like you most likely developed, is less than 150K. I live in the 'burbs, play in the 'burbs, and work in the 'burbs, unlike many who live DT and come out to the 'burbs for work and shopping, and to school their children. And who wants "subsidized housing"--that sounds like something for a person with a victim mentality. Someone who's been pushed out of their home, maybe?

Old 09-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Stay on topic and keep it friendly, folks. It's fine to disagree, but don't make it personal when you do. Nobody else wants to read that, which is probably a big reason why it's against the ToS.

Back to discussing King William/Southtown.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:04 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
My home in the suburbs, that someone like you most likely developed, is less than 150K. I live in the 'burbs, play in the 'burbs, and work in the 'burbs, unlike many who live DT and come out to the 'burbs for work and shopping, and to school their children. And who wants "subsidized housing"--that sounds like something for a person with a victim mentality. Someone who's been pushed out of their home, maybe?

Shapphire:

Subsidized housing is for people that fall in between the low income folks (that you don't hate) to moderate income folks. I would have assumed you knew this already, but you stated that it was for folks with a victim mentality or perhaps rejected folks?

Subsidized housing and/or apartments is not only available downtown, but in the "burbs" or surrounding areas as well.

While we on the subject of subsidized housing, that doesn't mean that everything priced around 150K downtown falls under subsidized housing. Plenty of affordable options DT. I just wanted to make that clear.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:27 PM

When something is "subsidized" it means that the people can't pay their own way. It's a vicious trap people fall into, matty. Like it or not, believe it or not, makes no difference to me.

Where did I say I don't like low income people? Quit harping on that, I never said it nor implied it. I simply quoted an actual resident of Southtown who said they are "unfortunately" driving long-time, lower-income residents out, due to higher property taxes. She said it, not me. Be pissed at her, not me. And yes, it was a whopping 3 years ago, so it's probably even worse now.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:14 PM

151 posts, read 299,522 times
Both areas are beautiful and I love taking a quick drive through there when I don't have errands to run during lunch since I'm so close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio