Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:30 PM
mcl

70 posts, read 150,655 times

Advertisements

Very nice area indeed-we are right down the road in Canyon Springs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 10:30 AM

Location: 281 north of 1604 - otherwise known as traffic hell
450 posts, read 1,599,540 times
yeah - I got goofed up. I forgot about the overlook - despite the fact that I drive by it about 2x a week.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:58 PM

70 posts, read 168,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Yeah, but if you give a mouse a cookie...

Stone Oak wouldn't have so many detractors if it didn't constantly refuse to fix it's own problems. Uncontainable growth is a seriously bad issue. I too lived there (3+ years) and am thankful everyday that I am now away in King William, where people actually smile and talk to each other.

Overall, I'm just looking to save the OP from a years long headache... as well as push forward my 'anti-Stone Oak' agenda in typical Communist fashion. When I run for Mayor in a few years, I want folks to know that they can count on Benjamin Nicholas to wipe out SO, one stucco McMansion at a time.

BN
LOL, you've got my vote!

Seriously, to the OP, I'd look elsewhere, specifically somewhere in AHSD. Not that you asked, but that's my advice to any who will take it!

Old 03-09-2010, 11:52 PM
mcl

70 posts, read 150,655 times
Default Obviously I don't understand

I can't get on the bandwagon to bash other areas of town. I can see merit to many areas in San Antonio. I love the beauty of King William and interesting architecture in Alamo Heights, the North West Crossing area where I was able to afford my first home 17 years ago, and yes, where I am now, north of Stone Oak in Canyon Springs. I also I own land further north in Bexar county that I hope to build on someday in the future....

I been lurking on this site for a little while now and have been reluctant to post because of some of the rabid-sounding opinions. But I have to ask-Isn't the spirit of this forum more meant to help people find the right fit for them and their needs? Often I feel these discussions lose sight of that and somehow become a forum for bashing other neighborhoods in San Antonio because they just aren't the best fit for the people who don't live there.

Yes-of course I am partial to where I live right now, and I have my opinions about the other areas I've lived in as well. However, there is merit to most areas in town, and it seems to me it some people lose sight of that. For the most part doesn't it just depend on what you are looking for?

Old 03-10-2010, 07:14 AM

45 posts, read 123,116 times
I agree...what is the point??? Once someone has choosen a neighborhood I don't see the point in being negative. If you can't help with info on that area, then why bother posting.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:04 AM

824 posts, read 1,816,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcl View Post
I can't get on the bandwagon to bash other areas of town. I can see merit to many areas in San Antonio. I love the beauty of King William and interesting architecture in Alamo Heights, the North West Crossing area where I was able to afford my first home 17 years ago, and yes, where I am now, north of Stone Oak in Canyon Springs. I also I own land further north in Bexar county that I hope to build on someday in the future....

I been lurking on this site for a little while now and have been reluctant to post because of some of the rabid-sounding opinions. But I have to ask-Isn't the spirit of this forum more meant to help people find the right fit for them and their needs? Often I feel these discussions lose sight of that and somehow become a forum for bashing other neighborhoods in San Antonio because they just aren't the best fit for the people who don't live there.

Yes-of course I am partial to where I live right now, and I have my opinions about the other areas I've lived in as well. However, there is merit to most areas in town, and it seems to me it some people lose sight of that. For the most part doesn't it just depend on what you are looking for?
Great post.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:17 PM

62 posts, read 132,313 times
Stone Oak isn't as bad as some of the detractors make it out to be. Gosh, you'd think they were robbed there or something.
Traffic - bad in the morning heading south, bad in the evening heading north
Food - some great restaurants nearby
Schools- some of the best public schools in the city
Homes - all types for all price points
People - generally a mix of mostly transplants but some native
Education level - mostly graduate
Hospitals - best ER wait times in the city....bar none. Even get the residents from downtown riding up to SO in order to be treated without waiting for 3 hours.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:55 PM

443 posts, read 1,506,456 times
I second you, I don't understand them either.. But here's what comes to mind:

These people need to always convince themselves that they are much in a better position/location. And the way they convince themselves is by putting others down.. then they feel better

So I live in Stone Oak and I'm not putting other areas down. In fact, when outsiders ask me where are the nicer areas in the city, I would mention several including Stone Oak of course..

Quote:

Old 03-18-2010, 03:19 PM

487 posts, read 1,118,240 times
"Schools- some of the best public schools in the city"

I would actually say some of the best public schools in the country. I'm not a teacher, just grateful for the teachers who taught my daughter!!!

Old 03-20-2010, 03:59 PM

4 posts, read 7,717 times
Quote:

Thank you so much for writing this. I'm moving to SA in August, but I was becoming discouraged by a few of the comments.

I've visited SA a couple of times, and stayed with my cousin, who lives in Stone Oak. The people seemed friendly enough. One lady struck up a conversation with me while I waited for take-out. Maybe that's an isolated incident... I hope not. I also visited a church, and the people were extremely kind.

I guess it depends on where you feel comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio