Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:53 PM

61,706 posts, read 87,101,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Kids just need to play outside more. We drank sodas all the time when I was young. But we played outside ALL the time. Parents had to constantly hunt us down for dinner. THAT'S the difference.
I agree that kids need to play outside more often. But kids cannot go out and play by themselves like we used to do 30 years ago. Backyard option is great, but park is not. Today kids are facing all kinds of danger: traffic on the street, drunk drivers, kidnappers, pedophiles; they cannot just walk to the playground – they must be accompanied by parents, and not many parents want to make the time for it. Parents are busier today than 30 years ago: they have errands to run, shopping to do, they are tired or working second job or are just lazy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
This is my last comment on the subject, only because I see it going downhill fast, but is people not willing to enact self control really a reason to get the government involved? Do we now have to protect people from themselves? This is what's going to happen if the government gets involved in health care. They're going to regulate food, alcohol, cigarettes, and generally anything that's ever been accused of being bad for you.

The best choice is for people to be big boys and girls and be responsible. You can't help those that don't want to help themselves. No amount of regulations will ever help that.

Kevin, I didn't say a word about regulating it or involving the government to do so. All I suggested was to stop or slow down the advertising of fat food or at least start to advertise a healthy food more!
We all know that there is a problem with parenting and self-control. But what is the solution? Counseling? Education? How to make parents to be more responsible? How to teach common sense?

Old 03-19-2010, 08:31 PM

The original post was about “ $15 million in federal stimulus money”.
In my understanding the city will get $15 million dollars to invest in projects that encourage healthy living.
The money will go to:
- encourage kids to exercise
- ride to own bicycle program
- healthier food ( more salads, fruits and juices) for kids at school
- improving city parks
Now tell me what is wrong with the programs?
Where do you see regulations or government involvement?

And here are your comments:
Scuba Steve said: The government doesn't have any business spreading funds around for this.
BN said: When in the world did we think it was alright for the Government to tell us what was right and what was wrong?
MMM said: This will be $15M wasted.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:38 PM

272 posts, read 640,115 times
What a waste of money.

I agree with stop feeding kids the fast food, but I think another reason is the culture of SA. You have to start at home and completely reconstruct the way people think here. The motto seems to be here: clean your plate and eat, eat more....

Old 03-19-2010, 08:38 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,888 times
i kind of think all this talk about regulating commercials and mcdonalds is silly. What 6-year-old is doing her own grocery shopping or pulling up to the drive-thru. The responsibility lies with the parents first and foremost.

Find it interesting that no one mentioned the fact that junk food, fast food, that box of tuna helper all costs less than nearly anything you can find in the produce section these days. That's where this money should go -- to help subsidize farmers and make healthy foods more affordable. Especially these days, when you're counting every dollar.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:43 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
i kind of think all this talk about regulating commercials and mcdonalds is silly. What 6-year-old is doing her own grocery shopping or pulling up to the drive-thru. The responsibility lies with the parents first and foremost.

Find it interesting that no one mentioned the fact that junk food, fast food, that box of tuna helper all costs less than nearly anything you can find in the produce section these days. That's where this money should go -- to help subsidize farmers and make healthy foods more affordable. Especially these days, when you're counting every dollar.
1. Children grow up to be consumers, and spend $$$.

2. The gov. has an interest in subsidising meat and dairy and not veggies and fruit b/c of lobbies and public institutions like prisons and schools.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:57 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
I think a little different.

People do not eat enough. Yes, I don't think people eat enough food. I'm talking about things like nuts, vegetables, fruit, fish, etc. Take your 2-3 big meals of the day, break them down into 5 smaller snack-sized meals and they will arrest any urge you have to eat junk food. replace the junk with the quality stuff like fish/potato, etc and you will ramp up that metabolism and lose weight. Heck, you don't even have to do exercise as long as you're not sedentary 24/7. Humans are scavengers. Keep moving, keep eating.

The problem also lies in nutrition education. Lets see...how many peope opt for the "low fat" peanut butter and think they are eating healthy? Well, the problem is the sugar. The fat is good for you. Same goes for the diet coke. Wow, no sugar? Great, I'll drink 2! Etc.

Ignore my ramblin's...just sayin'

Old 03-19-2010, 09:21 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
I Take your 2-3 big meals of the day, break them down into 5 smaller snack-sized meals and they will arrest any urge you have to eat junk food.
Good point there!
Another big mistake folks are doing is skipping breakfast! The usual reason for not eating is because there's not enough time or not hungry at that time of day but if folks find some creative healthy foods and train your body to eat breakfast, the pounds will comes off, have more energy, etc, etc. Of course, no going overboard throughout the day so overeating is reduced.

There is a program in California that is very community involved in this very issue and the program has staff working directly with the families in presenting viable alternative and healthy options. Moms attend workshops and kids are taken out for recreation time. Not sure if its working but community based models have some more teeth in making some leeway on the issue instead of just sending out the message to the community indirectly with billboards or other means.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:27 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,030 times
I feel that it's totally immoral to use federal tax dollars this way. How would you feel if you lived in any other state in the nation and saw your tax dollars go to attempt to get some San Antonio fatties into diet/exercise rehab? Even if all these programs were 100% effective (ha!), it's still not the responsibility of someone in Iowa to give up their hard-earned money for something that only benefits people in San Antonio. It's slavery through government.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
It's a problem that won't solve itself or get better on its own. Hopefully this will at least be a program that's vetted by health and nutrition professionals, rather than just a bunch of committee meetings and grant-funded positions sprinkled around the area.

I shudder to think of the "solution" or regulations that would result if we left it to our 9 $10/week city council reps (and one temp) to solve the city's problem with obesity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio