Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 06:14 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy0349 View Post
I live in Northeast (Bitters& Blanco) area of San Antonio 78232. I have used Sprint for two years. My 450 min. talk, unlimited data plan, service for 3 G network. Most of the time I have 4 or 5 bars and have never had a drop calls.
I've heard that Sprint does not have 4 G network service in my area..is this true?
According to their website map, they do: 4G Coverage and Speeds

However, MY reality is slow, slow, slow data speeds (iPhone 4s). I realize that this phone is not 4g capable, but everywhere I go (78258, 78232, 78228, 78260, 78216) I get incredibly S-L-O-W data speeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,174 times
Default I love solavei!

I recommend this phone service. Only $49.00 a month. Unlimited voice, text and data. I have had it for a month now and happy not to be tied to a contract. I have not had any missed calls or bad reception.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:26 PM

172 posts, read 238,644 times
Solavei basically rents space on the T-Mobile and AT&T networks. The biggest problem with that is that T-Mobile and AT&T members will have priority over Solavei members if the network starts to get bogged down. But seems like a pretty good deal if you don't mind AT&T or T-Mobile service.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:06 PM

363 posts, read 748,585 times
Dropped T-Mobile a year ago as we could not get a signal at our new house. Switched to Verizon and their LTE network is super fast! No dropped calls anymore. T-Mobile was $25 cheaper a month for 2 phones but Verizon's signal strength is better than any other company I've seen. Especially outside 1604.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:30 PM

381 posts, read 768,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I have Tmobile with a family plan for two smartphones sharing 3000 minutes, unlimited text, and 200 mb of data for $107/month inluding taxes. (I know that's not much data but we use the wifi at home and only download stuff while we're using the wifi).

I live at 1604 and 90 and the signal strength isn't the greatest here at the house, but my phone will call on wifi, so I have it set up to use wifi when we're home. It seems to work everywhere else within 1604 but the other day I was on Culebra outside 1604 about 4 miles and couldn't get any bars at all.

I looked into Straight Talk but read too many reviews saying they could cancel your service for the remainder of a month if they thought you were using it too much. Also, the phones I wanted would have run on the Sprint network which I'd heard didn't work well in our neighborhood.
since I live off the 1560 close in silver oaks, which is about two miles from the 1560 and culebra intersection, I'm pretty sure that tmobile would be an issue for me. Thanks for that info.
Right now we have two lines with verizon, $132 one unlimited 4glte and the other 2gb with no text messaging plan and 700 minutes to share. Coverage is awesome and lte is blazing fast.I do get employee discount.I'm also grandfathered unlimited since verizon doesn't offer that anymore.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:59 PM

166 posts, read 571,470 times
I live at Potranco/Talley. I've been there for eight years and have Sprint. Texting/Phone calls are good. I've never had a drop. There's no 4G in that area. 4G is available around Potranco/1604. I pay about $70.00 (Unilimted Everything).

Old 02-11-2013, 07:07 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
I'd carry wood and wet blanket before I'd ever have Sprint. Best of luck if you have any billing issues. I haven't had Sprint since 1998 yet they keep turning me into a collection agency for an account that's not even in my name....and obviously I haven't had one of their phones. And of course the credit reporting agencies they take it off only to have Sprint put it back. Nope, I'd carry wood and wet blanket before Sprint ever saw any of my business. Bunch of crooked, self important, creeps running it.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:20 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,438,175 times
My wife and I have been very happy with T-Mobile pre paid. The plan we are on is $30 a month (we purchase at callingmart.com and actually get it a little cheaper) with 100 minutes voice, unlimited text and web.

Another option if you need more voice minutes is Straight Talk. They have a pre paid plan for $45 a month that is unlimited everything. I've tried this plan as well and if you choose the ATT sim (you can pick that or a T-Mobile one) the coverage is a little better, especially in more rural areas.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:21 AM

4 posts, read 8,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Cop View Post
Ok ladies and gentlemen....I'd like to ask your opinion on cell company service. I live in far west Bexar County, off Talley Road, and am wondering which service is best (with best of course having a very flexible definition). Consider coverage area, frequency of dropped calls, high speed data transfer and last but not least, cost of monthly service. Not looking for what may or may not be happening in the future. Looking at, let's say, what's best today. Thanks. John
Living in the same area Potranco/Talley Rd I rock AT&T w/LTE (never really goes away in SA), never any issues, it is the FASTEST of all carriers speed wise. Coverage is good, traveling across then country never had an issues unless in your in the mountains or middle of no where coverage may be spotty. Some dropped calls happen but not to the extent that it should render you completely useless maybe like 1-3 over a 6 month period if that at all. Cost of monthly service is probably most expensive with AT&T & Verizon, Sprint would be next, followed by T-Mobile in terms of price. I myself prefer GSM based tech so AT&T or T-Mobile. Never will I have Verizon or Sprint... GSM is a global standard for a reason.
I forgot to mention if interested in pre-paid service look up MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) in google to find a cheaper solution to the big 4 carriers, there is always a MVNO that piggybacks off their networks.

Last edited by cheddabob1185; 02-12-2013 at 08:31 AM..

Old 02-12-2013, 11:22 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,502,455 times
Don't laugh, but I use Straight Talk. 45 bucks a month, unlimited everything. I do a bit of traveling on the back roads to get away from it all, and have never lost a signal anywhere. Went out to Marfa a while back and never had a problem with reception. As far as speeds go, it's faster than anything I had with AT&T. My bill has been cut in half and it is very easy to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio