Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:10 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,850,288 times

Advertisements

I don't know whether to say "congrats" or "sucker",sorry. Saying nothing wouldn't be any fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 04:15 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,633,593 times
Welcome to San Antonio! Sorry about your rental issues - that bites. (Or, you know. Stings.) You've come at a good time of year. I know we're getting a little rain but once you've lived here a little bit you'll learn to appreciate it!

We are so happy to have you here in town! If you are wondering about restaurants or events or what to do or anything, just come in here and ask. You'll get a million responses!

Old 04-07-2010, 04:51 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,580,886 times
Welcome fellow Bay Stater! I am from MA, but have lived here for nearly 22 years...still haven't gotten used to the heat!

As for the scorpions...they tend to seek undisturbed areas...chances are, they are not all over the house, but simply came in to seek some shelter. They will be getting active shortly tend to hide during winter. If you are in a wooded, rocky, or under construction area, you may see them from time to time.

Again, Welcome!

PS enjoy this weather...this is the two week season called "Spring"...Summer is right around the corner, and lasts until October

Old 04-07-2010, 05:08 PM
mcl

70 posts, read 151,053 times
Welcome!!

My hubby is from Somerset MA, and I am from central/upstate NY and we love it here! The scorpions used to scare me to death, but I have been fortunate enough to see less than 10 of them since I moved here in 1993.

I'm in the Canyon Springs area if you need any information for this neck of the woods.

Glad to have you here.
Marie

Old 04-07-2010, 05:39 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,633,593 times
Put some shoes on and step on the scorpions. They make a VERY satisfying CRUNCH.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:15 PM

615 posts, read 1,527,827 times
I wanted to thank everyone for the warm welcome. Were actually on the eastern sidein Converse. The landlord has swiftly rectified many issues in the last 8 hours after we threatened to moveout due to safety and code violations. The dryer vent will be fixed in the next few days were assured.

The exterminator took care of four (I couldn't believe it) fire ant hills in the back yard as well as spraying the entire house and exterior. The hospitality down here is unparalleled to mass.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:17 PM

7,132 posts, read 11,891,323 times
Verio, welcome to San Antonio! As others have noted, you came at a good time of the year - just before FIESTA!! Be ready for a party the likes of which you've never seen before - when this city parties, it ROCKS!
If you're a motorcyclist, there's LOTS of neat roads to explore - so drop me a line & I'll send you some neat ride suggestions!

Old 04-07-2010, 09:00 PM

874 posts, read 2,900,810 times
Fire ants, too? Scorpions and fire ants don't make for the best welcome, but I'm glad the exterminator was out so quickly and will hopefully have the situation rectified.

Welcome to San Antonio! The weather has been mainly beautiful and more wildflowers are popping up on the drive home every day.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:34 AM

14 posts, read 19,497 times
Sorry if this is slightly off topic but I'm probably also moving to San Antonio in a few months time and we don't have to deal with scorpions or the likes in the U.K. so I was just wondering what actually happens if you get stung? Do you have to take anything (medication or otherwise) when you're stung? Or is it just like say a bee sting where it's irritable but nothing much more than that.

I know there are poisonous varieties but I'm assuming those aren't the ones you'd see in your house?

Scorpion, fire ants, snakes... I don't see any of this in the U.K.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:08 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,082,715 times
I got "stung" a few days after we moved into a brand new house (Jan 2007). I keep a towel on the back porch to wipe the dog's feet; bent down to pick it up at 6:00 a.m. and "got it". This was right before the big ice storm. It hurt, but not that bad... put ice on it and took Benedryl b/c I was alone at the time and didn't know what re-action I would get. It was a "baby" scorpion, which the exterminator says can be worse than the bigger ones.
We saw them from time to time inside the first year of occupancy; haven't seen them since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio