Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 06:38 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,231,828 times

Advertisements

I killed my first scorpion of the year on Monday. At my house they are usually in the sink in my outdoor kitchen. Also, you can almost bet money that you will find one if you turn over a rock.
They hurt really bad (IMO) when they sting but if you aren't allergic you will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 08:18 AM

73 posts, read 191,775 times
A great big welcome, Verio! I'm also in Converse. I believe once you get the scorpions under control, they won't be a problem. My neighbor had a scorpion problem, but I've never had a single one in my house. I make a practice of going all around the outside of the house with bug spray once a year. After many years... no bugs in my house.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:26 AM

123 posts, read 452,541 times
Welcome Verio.

Both Cheddars and Whataburger are chain restaurants. Cheddars is definitely not the place to get a steak in this town. While I don't live on that side of town, I'm sure there are great local restaurants over there that you'll soon discover, or maybe some folks here can help you out. There is lots of great dining in San Antonio and, while I like Cheddars and Whataburger, I definitely don't want you getting your first dining impressions based on those 2 restaurants.

Sorry about your early problems. I'm glad ot hear you are getting them fixed so that you can really settle in.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:47 PM

615 posts, read 1,528,626 times
Is there a good place to grab a quick taco? We were out today, and looking for a quick bite and I wanted to try some local cuisine. Unfortunately, the only places I could find quickly were Sonic and Chik-Fil-A (this was TERRIBLE).

While Sonic is good, I'd like to try something local, and something with a southwest flair.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:59 PM
mcl

70 posts, read 151,103 times
Las Palapas and Taco Cabana come to mind.

Though both are chains, I believe they were started locally... (?) But if you want a quick taco or bite to eat they would work.

Las Palapas
Taco Cabana : Locator

Old 04-08-2010, 06:01 PM

556 posts, read 2,092,609 times
Verio - you will find a local taco place closer to you I'm sure - but we have a couple near us, that's not far from you - you could try Los Generales on Nacogdoches - just down the street from the Wal-Mart at 1604/Nacogdoches and/or Rolling Oaks Mall.

One of our local favorites is actually Las Carretas - the original location is on Perrin Central not far from the Animal Defense League and the second location is on Perrin Beitel across from the main post office.....

You can find Los Generales and Las Carretas easily by doing a google search on their name!

We live near the Comanche Lookout Park at the corner of Judson & Nacogdoches, so let me know if you have any questions about this part of town

Old 04-08-2010, 07:53 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,837,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCheck View Post
Sorry if this is slightly off topic but I'm probably also moving to San Antonio in a few months time and we don't have to deal with scorpions or the likes in the U.K. so I was just wondering what actually happens if you get stung? Do you have to take anything (medication or otherwise) when you're stung? Or is it just like say a bee sting where it's irritable but nothing much more than that.

I know there are poisonous varieties but I'm assuming those aren't the ones you'd see in your house?

Scorpion, fire ants, snakes... I don't see any of this in the U.K.
I wouldn't worry about scorpions - I haven't seen a single one in two years and I've spent enough time working in the back yard where people say they should be encountered.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:56 PM

420 posts, read 1,159,263 times
Lets see. You are not too far from Rudy's BBQ.

Braken Store Cafe is a good place to dine and not too far from you.

If you want a good taco look for a "taco truck" on the side of the road. If it is busy it is probably a good one. They tend to have some of the best tacos in town. You can also find them near the bars at night.

And another good place for a fast burger is the Freddys Frozen Custard. They are a chain out of Kansas but they have a good fast food burger. If you have time though go to Braken Cafe for a burger.

There are many dining options in the area that will allow you to avoid the big chain restaurants for a long time.

I also recommend you pickup a copy of the Current. They are free newspaper/magazines that are available to pickup all over the place. They have a large dining resource and should be doing a best of San Antonio again soon. They also have a good website. San Antonio Current

Currently my favorite BBQ in town is 2 brothers BBQ off of west avenue. There are other great places a little ways away. You are on the southern end of the Texas BBQ trail here so there is a lot of yummy smoked meat to taste in the area. A good start for that is this map. Texas's Best BBQ - Google Maps

Old 04-09-2010, 01:10 PM

153 posts, read 522,566 times
El Sabrosito on FM 78 would be a good local option. The dining in is is sit-down rather than fast food style, but they also have pretty quick take out service as well.

For burgers, Fatty's Burgers on Schaefer Road is in the same general area. We've only been there once, but enjoyed the food.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:48 PM

615 posts, read 1,528,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGSA View Post
El Sabrosito on FM 78 would be a good local option. The dining in is is sit-down rather than fast food style, but they also have pretty quick take out service as well.

For burgers, Fatty's Burgers on Schaefer Road is in the same general area. We've only been there once, but enjoyed the food.
I've been by Fatty's the last few days and the place always looks dead. I always find that to be a sign to "STAY AWAY" haha.

Thank you guys for the tips and suggestions. We tried out Taco Cabana this morning for some breakfast taco's. They were pretty delicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio