Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:38 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,829,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc21sa View Post
what if you had been working on your vehicle, just got it going and could show you got it inspected right after being ticketed?
Generally speaking, if you go out and get the inspection ASAP after receiving the ticket, chances are good that they'll reduce to court costs. If you have receipts to show that you'd been working on the car recently (especially with something that would have precluded its' operation on the road), that'll bolster your "case".
For the record....this "high horse rider" still watches inspection/license stickers, and when I see an expired one, I tell the driver about it. 95% of 'em have honestly overlooked 'em, others shrug, laugh and say "I'll do it when they catch me!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 08:54 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,023,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
It's one thing to come in, say "Hey - I goofed up and forgot to renew it - any way to minimize the fine?" That I'm cool with. It's another to blame "speed traps", etc., for YOUR failure to obey the law.
It's called "personal responsibility".....
Semantics. You just said there is no forgiveness on your part for people who "forget" yet you're cool with using that excuse.

The point the OP was trying to make is that $137 is EXCESSIVE. Maybe not to you, of course, but to many people it is. The OP wanted to get that reduced and I don't blame him/her.

And wow, to the people that check other people's stickers. LMAO.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:13 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,829,912 times
Sapphire, back in "the day", when I noticed that sticker you'd be getting a citation. Nowadays, with all the different things that go on in our lives, you CAN overlook it - so I let folks know as a matter of being neighbourly. That may be strange to you, but to me, it's not anything different than warning someone that they have a low tire, or a light out.
The $137 fine is generally for those that just want to send in payment. In my experience, having had the inspection done and appearing before the judge will get the fine reduced/waived. But - even if it isn't....one of the things a fine is SUPPOSED to do is to reinforce that you need to follow the law. A $25 fine isn't going to do much to someone's memory bank. $137....yeah, you WILL remember THAT one!
As to your condescending comment that $137 may not be excessive to me....got a news flash for you, hon - five DOLLARS is "money" to ME. I'm a professional tightwad - don't want to waste ANY amount of money - and a fine is just that to me - a waste. Because it means that I didn't obey a rule or law that I should have, and am paying money because of it.
So sorry that I don't let others find out the hard way that their stickers are expired....NOT. We're here to help each other - or should be - so when I see something like that, yeah - I tell 'em. Will continue to do so, too.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:05 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,325,635 times
It is a high fine, but did you not know your inspection was going to expire ahead of time? It is nothing but a huge date on your windshield and costs like $15 to get inspected. Cars must be inspected for everyone's safety. Next time, avoid this buy just getting your car inspected like the law requires.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:23 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,230,918 times
I'm not one to forget my annual vehicle inspection, but then I think on at least the last four or five vehicles I've owned the inspection sticker expired the same month or the month prior to the registration sticker. Vehicle registration renewals are normally mailed out the month prior to expiration, so when I get the renewal notice, I know my inspection sticker expires that month or the next month.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:39 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,983,056 times
I have to say where working on base helps here, as the gate guards will usually notice if your registration or inspection are about to expire and mention it to you when they check your ID. I usually keep a good eye out on mine, but it's always helpful to have a reminder...

Both are predominantly displayed in the driver’s side corner of your windshield, making it a habit to check them as you walk to your vehicle will also help in remembering when they are due…

Cheers! M2

Old 04-19-2010, 07:13 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,385,160 times
Guess I'm one of those strange people that actually thinks of it when it is due because I want to get it out of the way near the beginning of the month to avoid all the procrastinators that wait until the end.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:52 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,722,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
It is a high fine, but did you not know your inspection was going to expire ahead of time? It is nothing but a huge date on your windshield and costs like $15 to get inspected. Cars must be inspected for everyone's safety. Next time, avoid this buy just getting your car inspected like the law requires.
Let's call a spade a spade here. Vehicle inspections are nothing but a revenue generator for the state and little to do with safety.

I once had a cracked taillight. Didnt even know it was cracked. ("cracked" is the operative here, not "broken") The guy bent way down and put his eye right up to the lens with his hands to both sides of his eyes like he is looking through binoculars and says "yup I see bulb there, can't pass it like this". The 15 day fix certificate they give where if you fix it in 15 days and come back they dont charge you again, is purely discretionary and I didnt get one. Had to pay for the inspection, new tail light lens and the second inspection again.

That is why so many people (purely my opinion) hesitate when getting their cars inspected. They just "know" the guy is going to find something.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:14 PM

76 posts, read 169,140 times
never take your car to a auto shop for inspection, they will find something. Just go to the Texas Flag colored buildings, in 5 minutes you're on your way. And regardless of who's fault it is for getting the ticket I think if you get the inspection done within ten days they will waive the ticket except for the $10 court fee. At least that's how it works in SA.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:18 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd_91 View Post
never take your car to a auto shop for inspection, they will find something. Just go to the Texas Flag colored buildings, in 5 minutes you're on your way.
good point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: