Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:02 PM

34 posts, read 73,435 times

Advertisements

I moved out to far north San Antonio to get away from the riff-raff that has infiltrated a lot of the areas of San Antonio....yes, even in the 281 and Bitters area. Yes, I do sit in traffic, but I would much rather sit in traffic than live in some of the seedy neighborhoods I have seen just inside Loop 1604.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 09:48 PM

841 posts, read 1,748,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity View Post
I agree that our politicians do not have the courage to do what is right, but that is the result of an indifferent populace. Yes, there have always been pockets of citizens that are concerned, but they have to convince the greater body of people. Yeah, democracy is inefficient, but most believe it better than the alternative.
Agreed. It would be nice, however, to have some real leadership at the city level rather than bowing to those who yell the loudest but may also be wrong. Every once and a while we have it (Hardberger, whether you agreed with him or not), but most often we do not (too many councilmembers to mention).

Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity View Post
Sorry for the tangent. Getting back to this specific topic, I sincerely hope that a resolution can be agreed upon, less the project lose the federal stimulus dollars.
I agree again. While I believe that the ramp will only encourage greater congestion later, to lose our share of the stimulus dollars (if it can only be earmarked for this project) is perhaps not wise either. I am reminded of the controversial construction of 281 through Brackenridge Park - pollution did get reduced, but the citizens also lost park land.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:17 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,034,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Agreed. It would be nice, however, to have some real leadership at the city level rather than bowing to those who yell the loudest but may also be wrong. Every once and a while we have it (Hardberger, whether you agreed with him or not), but most often we do not (too many councilmembers to mention).

I agree again. While I believe that the ramp will only encourage greater congestion later, to lose our share of the stimulus dollars (if it can only be earmarked for this project) is perhaps not wise either. I am reminded of the controversial construction of 281 through Brackenridge Park - pollution did get reduced, but the citizens also lost park land.

I wasn't around in 1971(?) when that happened, but the fact of the matter is, how much park land do you NEED?! How many people in this city actually go to parks on a regular basis. I am in no way decrying the beauty and necessity of parks, I am just saying that if you have something that is worthwhile economically (shortened travel times on 281) why not do it? The alternative isn't necessarily any better environmentally.

And it's the same thing with this interchange! Is maintaining the status quo REALLY smarter than just building the gosh-darn interchange?

Old 08-27-2010, 01:42 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,784,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluffsatlookoutcanyon View Post
I moved out to far north San Antonio to get away from the riff-raff that has infiltrated a lot of the areas of San Antonio....yes, even in the 281 and Bitters area. Yes, I do sit in traffic, but I would much rather sit in traffic than live in some of the seedy neighborhoods I have seen just inside Loop 1604.
There are some seedy neighborhoods outside the Loop 1604 as well.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:31 AM

927 posts, read 1,391,104 times
Some people just cannot seem to realize that with continued growth you must have the improved infrastructure to go along with it. People have been and will continue to flock to this area from around the country and indeed the world for the foreseeable future. And to just throw your hands up and say "I don't want San Antonio to change or grow" is just foolish, deluded thinking that is not connected to reality.

I don't believe, like so many others, that this lawsuit is about beetles at all. It is about trying to stall progress in one of the most successful parts of town. People have been moving to the 281/1604 area because it is a great place to live with many amenities. A new interchange at that intersection to alleviate traffic bottlenecks would serve to preserve and enhance the quality of life that exists in the area.

Like so many other large projects in the past everything connected with improving the lot of commuters in San Antonio has been one big fight. Maybe, just maybe, people around here will concede that San Antonio is a major, growing, sprawling urban area that needs forward thinking citizens and effective leaders if the city is to continue to be an attractive destination for people around the country.

Last edited by bresilhac; 08-27-2010 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 08-27-2010, 05:02 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,034,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
There are some seedy neighborhoods outside the Loop 1604 as well.

For example? ???

Old 08-27-2010, 05:52 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,716,990 times
Good thread. I admit I came in anti-aQua, but now I see their point and have to agree with dvlpr.

More about that later. Carry on.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:11 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,955,586 times
So, were these people against the 410/281 interchange as well?

Old 08-27-2010, 07:29 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,127,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Anyone interested in urban planning needs to check this out: Songdo International Business District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

South Korea's spending its money on cutting-edge infrastructure....why can't we? Not necessarily to THAT degree, but certainly something similar. Self-contained cities that limit the need for miles and miles of driving are certainly a step in the right direction.
Songdo looks beautiful Soviet!

Old 08-27-2010, 07:48 AM

810 posts, read 1,426,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
South Korea's spending its money on cutting-edge infrastructure....why can't we?
Because the words “cutting-edge” and “San Antonio” don’t go together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio