Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:13 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,315 times

Advertisements

I'm hanging on to these pics and will post them a few years from now in the Gone But Not Forgotten thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 10:15 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
I'm hanging on to these pics and will post them a few years from now in the Gone But Not Forgotten thread.
"A few years?!?" Heck, at that rate they're gonna be eligible for that thread within a week!

Cheers! M2

Old 08-31-2010, 10:50 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Waaaaay to go, creepy old people. Rather than do architectural salvage for what Habitat would've gladly taken and reused it'll go to a landfill instead.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:52 PM

159 posts, read 785,060 times
Awww I drove by early Sunday morning to take some pics, very sad to see it was gone. This was all that was left.
Attached Thumbnails
NE Side - Abandoned/Haunted House on Stahl Rd?-stahl.jpg  

Old 07-19-2011, 04:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,877 times
I went to high school near this property and was intrigued then at its size and apparent grandeur for the area. I also saw it fall into disrepair and overgrowth as nature claimed it back. A few years back my interest was again piqued.

I emailed the owner and got a very terse email. I asked about the property and was told "how would you like someone to ask about your house" Seemed very suspicious of questions and defensive. Perhaps I was out of line for inquiring? I offered assistance, if they were ailing or in need of assitance.

There is a nearby cemetery, Wetmore Community Cemetery, I remember seeing the owners names listed on a some cemetery records once. Not sure if they were interred or simply own a plot there. The link is below and appears that there was no date of death at the time this was recorded

http://files.usgwarchives.net/tx/bex...s/wetmore2.txt

I remember on the old thread here a member had mentioned seeing a grave on the property, it was this trespass I believe that led to the thread being closed.

If my memory serves me correctly the grave marker said something to the effect of "Here lyes "XXXXXXXX" the only one to have ever stolen from me." It may have been anything from a possum to an animal, or something more macabre (which I doubt) or simply intended to scare of unwanted visitors.

I remember the church being named "None but Christ Christian Church".

NBC Development Company still has a website.

If the owners ever come by this thread, I mean/meant you no harm, did not post your names, just trying to shed some light on a Northeast mystery that seems to finally be coming to an end. It seemed a beautiful house and property.

Last edited by siliconjones; 07-19-2011 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: additional information

Old 07-19-2011, 05:42 PM

1,099 posts, read 2,074,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideteacher View Post
I've lived by this house for years, and I can't find any information about it.

Put this address into Google Maps and hit "satellite view":
4496 Stahl Rd, San Antonio, TX, United States

Does anyone know anything about the house at this address? It caught my eye because it is huge and frankly, it is out of place for the area. It looks like it has three stories (or maybe just tall ceiings for a two-story house) and I can see what I think are three chimney stacks from the road. I checked out google maps and you can see the property has several buildings and even a tennis court! From the road, you can tell the house was once really nice - big front porches and white columns. I can only imagine the house was pricey in its day. You can only tell it must be abandoned because across the top, you can see significant roof damage. It has a keypad and rolling gate to block entry (and the view!) from the street. Did rich people live here? Celebrities? Fallen politicians? Drug dealers?

This house has my imagination going - does anyone know what house I'm talking about? Does anyone know anything about this house?
I too lived by that house for years and never knew about it. I do remember a house on the train tracks on classen road which had a sign out in front saying "we'll shoot to kill" house is still there but the sign is gone.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:48 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
None But Christ Christian Church

NBC Development Company?

Coincidence or connection? Maybe there's more to this mystery...

Old 07-21-2011, 04:53 PM

You can still see the house on Google maps, so might as well take a screen print for posterity.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:58 PM

There is a None But Christ Church listed at:

None But Christ Christian Church
4493 Stahl Rd
San Antonio, TX 78217

The address of the house is shown as both 4493 and 4496 Stahl Road on Google Maps.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:28 PM

4493 Stahl Rd is also the address that Hoover's has for NBC Development company.
Although I seem to have found a newer one that is in the same area code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio