Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 05:49 PM

5 posts, read 60,083 times

Advertisements

I will be commuting into Downtown Los Angeles from Moreno Valley. Can anyone please tell me about this commute and what to expect? My commute times will be early morning (6 or 7am) and late evening (4 or 5pm). Thanks so much. Oh, and I will also be able to use carpool lane since I will have an additional rider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 05:52 PM

332 posts, read 2,149,440 times

expect hell. Carpool lanes don't matter anymore.

LA Times article: Caltrans seeks ways to unclog its overflowing carpool lanes (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-carpool23jun23,1,1966143.story - broken link)

Old 06-25-2007, 06:11 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kymmid View Post
I will be commuting into Downtown Los Angeles from Moreno Valley. Can anyone please tell me about this commute and what to expect? My commute times will be early morning (6 or 7am) and late evening (4 or 5pm). Thanks so much. Oh, and I will also be able to use carpool lane since I will have an additional rider.
Commuter traffic begins at 5am and if you are leaving MoVal @ 6-7am the 60 westbound into Riverside itself will be a parking lot. Traffic coming out of OC eastbound can start as early as 2-3pm and last until 8-9pm. The carpooling/fasttrack will help some but be ready for one heckuva tough commute morning and evening. I feel for ya big time!

Old 06-25-2007, 06:18 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,486 times
Rats' is not a joke, nor are dajammer's calculations.

"TripMaster found NO trip(s) leaving from MORENO VALLEY to LOS ANGELES AMTRAK" (downtown) according to the Los Angeles/SoCal public transportation website. Therefore you are relegated to car commuting. We locals regularly multiply Mapquest by 2x, unless you're driving between 11 p.m. and 5:00 a.m., and Mapquest puts it at way over an hour. Therefore, unobstructed driving would therefore be about 2 hours each way. A caveat: this is a heavily trafficked commute along the east-west corridors like the 60, with massive congestion and breakdowns during our rush hours, which are 5:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., and 3 pm. to 8 p.m. I would try out a three hour timeframe each way and see how much it really varies. And yes, the carpool lanes have the same congestion. Solidarity amongst all drivers stuck in L.A.'s infamous gridlock.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:37 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,212 times
I should mention that there is a metrolink train stop in Riverside that goes to L.A.

Metrolink :: Riverside-Downtown

I bought a house back in '80 in what was called Sunnymead (before it became incorporated in '84 as Moreno Valley) and could leave my house any time in the morning and make it to the city of Orange in about 50 minutes. Over the next 26 years I have seen the incredible growth that has caused the commuting nightmare from MoVal through Riverside and Corona and into the canyons of OC. I don't know how these folks do this every day.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:52 AM

Default thanks for your help

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. I will seriously look into the metrolink as an alternative to driving in.

Thanks again,

Old 06-26-2007, 07:33 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,476 times
I'm assuming you have a good reason for doing this to yourself, otherwise....WHYYYYYY????? This is beyond dreadful...so bad I can't even think of it....

Old 06-27-2007, 12:35 AM

14 posts, read 99,461 times
yep...the best in that situation is to hop on the Metrolink. It is VERY convenient to just stop at the Riverside station and coast to downtown. Driving would be horrible. The redline subway can take you where you need to once you get off or hop on a bus. Saves lot of time, money, and energy. There are tons of people who do a commute to downtown everyday.

Jeff

Old 06-27-2007, 12:25 PM

Thanks Jeff,

I've purchaased a home and will need to commute in for a few months before I am able to work from home, so I was just exploring my options. The train sounds best, could possibly catch up on some reading or much needed sleep while I ride...thanks again all for your suggestions.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:46 PM

1 posts, read 16,437 times
I COMMUTE 4 DAYS OUT OF THE WEEK, I LEAVE AT 6:30 AM AND ARRIVE AT DOWNTOWN AT 7:30 AM. I HAVE MY DAUGHTER AS MY CARPOOL BUDDY, AND I ENJOY IT. WHEN I TRAVEL BY MYSELF I LEAVE AT 6;00 and still get there with alot of time. i have given mind to tking the metro but only because gas prices are going up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties