Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 01:45 PM

4 posts, read 7,457 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

I'm hoping you can help! My husband has been offered a job in Riverside and we are thinking of relocating from the UK with our son who is nearly 3 years old. I am a stay at home Mom.

We've been told to look at living in Temecula or Corona and from what I have read so far it seems like both places would suit us. We currently live in a very small town (no MacDonalds or Starbucks here!) so we aren't looking for the high life! We would be looking to rent a property as we own one in the UK which is rented out.

So any thoughts? Which would be the easier commute for my hubby? Which would be the better place for me and our son? I love the gym and swimming - are there good gyms everywhere in SoCal? (picking up the slang already!)

How does pre-school childcare work? In the UK I get 15 hours a week free when my son is 3 years old. Do all children attend daycare?

How easy will it be for us to integrate and make friends?

Also, does anyone have any knowledge or experience about how the cost of living compares to the UK?

We've been told that taxes, cars, gas, bills are all less than in the UK and my hubby has been offered the same salary that he earns here. So we are hoping that we would be better off.

Any advice/tips etc will be gratefully received!

Cal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 09:27 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
I know of a place nearby where you can get Brit food, should you have a hankering for FEB, fish & chips, bangers and mash etc etc. The only thing missing from the FEB are beans and black pud.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:32 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
Corona would be an easier commute, but keep in mind Corona is very large so that varies. Might be a significantly longer commute, might be 10 minutes. Hard to say. Neither of them are "small town" anymore, though you can find developments that make you feel part of a small community in a much larger city in both.

As far as preschool, I'm not sure. I've seen some cities offer it freely and others not offer it at all. You'll want to check with the school districts in the areas you're looking at.

Integration depends. Activities with my child are where I meet most of our friends. Obviously he's a little too young for most sports, but there are other activities and most cities have Parks & Recreation departments that organize them. Neighborhood matters as well. Some neighborhoods are full of people that don't know each other and some are more friendly, have block parties, etc. Make sure you take a few good looks at the neighborhood during the day on the weekend, afternoon on a weekday, etc to see what kind of activity happens, or just go talk to the potential neighbors, if that is important to you.

Cost of living I wish I could say. I have no idea how it compares anymore. I don't think I'd want a single income household for renting purposes in that area with an income under $80k for a small home, obviously more for nicer places and neighborhoods.

Keep in mind the British pound is worth significantly more than the US dollar, so what you'll really want to look at is a cost comparison, or maybe talk to a financial adviser(since this is a significant move). Dollar for dollar at current exchange rates, the salary should be at least 50% more. Doesn't mean the relative costs are the same or not, just looking at it purely on the exchange rate

Anyways, good luck

Old 12-17-2011, 12:23 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
even the most western part of corona is still much closer to riverside than the northern most part of temecula. from temecula, you'd also have to worry about the 15 freeway, which i hear gets fairly congested during commuting hours. while temecula is probably a nicer city overall, corona has plenty of nice family friendly areas and is not too far from riverside.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:39 AM

4 posts, read 7,457 times
Thanks so much for the replies. The salary offer does work out at about 50% more in dollars, so that should be fine.

I looked on the map and can see that Corona is closer to Riverside, but yes I understand that it depends on the area etc. The plan would be to come over just for a week next month to have an initial look around, so it is good to narrow the areas down before we get there.

If it does all happen, when we eventually move over my husband would be at work straight away, so I guess the house hunting will be down to me! But I love your system with realtors who will find properties for you to look at. It doesn't really work like that over here and you have to find your own house!

We relocated within the UK 2 years ago, so at least we know that we managed that ok, made friends etc and I have worked abroad before, so I am prepared for the homesickness, missing family and so on.

Thanks Fontucky I'll bear that in mind - it took me a while to work out what FEB stood for! I'm a veggie so I can do without the black pud and maybe I'll ship some beans over with me!

Cheers

Cal

Old 12-17-2011, 08:13 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,663 times
You have talked with a realtor? I know of one in Temecula, who also showe us places in/near Corona, if you want a name (presumably you'd end up contacting more than one and seeing who you're most comfortable with). You can send a Direct Message to me (note: I have no financial interest in that person's company; I was referred to them by a friend who's known them for years). My wife thought Corona was too dry. You don't say why you were told to look in Corona and Temecula. Is you husband's new employer helping with finding housing? Good idea to rent first and then see what areas appeal to you most (and are within your budget). What I like may not be the same as what you like. Plus people's tolerance for long commutes varies widely.

We went to the Twisted Kilt "pub" and restaurant in Temecula, but I think you'd likely find it not anything like an actual pub (more of a sports bar atmosphere). The wild salmon and Irish stew were good, however.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:36 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post

We went to the Twisted Kilt "pub" and restaurant in Temecula, but I think you'd likely find it not anything like an actual pub (more of a sports bar atmosphere). The wild salmon and Irish stew were good, however.
Twisted or Tilted? Because the Tilted Kilt is like Hooters with women wearing miniskirt sized kilts

Old 12-17-2011, 11:46 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callilac View Post

Thanks Fontucky I'll bear that in mind - it took me a while to work out what FEB stood for! I'm a veggie so I can do without the black pud and maybe I'll ship some beans over with me!
You can buy them here in most major supers. Same item you get there, Heinz Baked Beans. Warning: American-style baked beans will make you pucker from their sweetness. Word to the wise...

And another thing:"Fanny" doesn't mean here what it means there.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:32 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Twisted or Tilted? Because the Tilted Kilt is like Hooters with women wearing miniskirt sized kilts
Yes, Tilted (maybe I'm twisted). I'd describe it as a sort of Hooters Lite, with better food. Most places have farm-raised salmon. My wife prefers wild, ever since I learned that most farm-raised salmon has dyes added (because people often insist on their salmon being pink or orange, even if most varieties aren't naturally that color). Anyway, Tilted it is.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:39 PM

185 posts, read 512,129 times
Corona is relatively close for commuting purposes, and is very nice (clean, safe, parks, shopping, family oriented). The east part of Corona (around McKinley and the 91) would be best for a commute to Riverside, and is a great area in my experience. Also, why not try looking in certain parts of Riverside?
Both areas will have plenty of gyms and day-care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties