Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 07:46 AM

4 posts, read 11,070 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are retired, have lived in both Palm Desert and now in PS. Except for the summer heat June-Sept it is a lovely place to live. My preference is PS because of the downtown section, the art gallery and the many activities downtown. Palm Desert and the east valleys are more commercial; shopping centers, etc. There are many condo developments available and I would recommend leasing or renting for a season to get acquainted with the town, the various neighborhoods, etc. Very little crime, very friendly people and easy to get around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 11:51 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredjournalist View Post
I am 63, retired, and have visited the desert all of my life -- always on vacation for a couple of weeks at a time -- starting in the 1950s as a child with my family. A year ago, I purchased a home in Palm Desert, after deciding against purchasing in Palm Springs, CC, Rancho Mirage, and La Quinta.

The desert has changed and the experience was absolutely ghastly. I had no idea. Crime is rampant. Large scale gang raids (one was staged at the Tennis Garden in Indian Wells and involved hundreds of law enforcement personnel and tanks and armored vehicles that moved out from there to other locations!). Just this past week, a live hand grenade was found on El Paseo in Palm Desert, and a 2-year-old girl and her father were shot and killed by a 49-year-old neighbor after a complaint about noise. Gang shootings occur nearly every week in Indio, Cathedral City and Desert Hot Springs. A man was shot in the parking lot of The River in Rancho Mirage. Palm Springs is full of homeless folks and drunken drivers, not to mention constant charges of police discrimination by the gay community (after arrests were made for sex in public).

I have never been around such miserable, unhappy people as I found in the desert. Everywhere I went (including Eisenhower Medical Center), I was met with either indifference or hostility. I purchased my home in 2010 for 50 percent off the peak prices, and the price has dropped significantly since. The house is now for sale and I have moved to Oregon. My life has improved significantly. It is such a relief to be away from the dreadful Coachella Valley and the fire ants, house crickets, rats on the roof during fruit season, and generally nasty, uncaring people. The only positive experience was my neighbors from Alberta, who had owned their home for many years and decided this year would be their last. They, too, have decided the valley has become unpleasant and a bad investment.

Perhaps some people like living there half-time or full-time, but if you are looking for a friendly, small-town atmosphere, this is not the place to be, unless you rent a place for a few weeks in the winter to enjoy the sunshine. I strongly urge you not to buy.
I am sure that many people are happy to see you and your Alberta friend leave.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gregg View Post
The man from Alberta sounds nuts to me and good riddens to him in Oregon which is "Shangrila" to him. To each his own. I don't know why there are so many Oregonian's living 6 months in the Coachella Valley - they must see something nice here. Yes, 400,000 people does not make a small town, but it is a conglomeration of over 10 cities both incorporated and unincorporated sprawled out over a very large valley that goes from small town suburban to rural agricultural. And yes there are fire ants, crickets and rats, but there are birds and bees and butterflies, and star fillled skies, carpets of wildflowers, more golf courses than anywhere else in the world and beautiful snow capped mountains in the wintertime. I have lived part time and full time in Palm Desert and Indian Wells for the past 21 years and I find it to be quite a lovely area. Wherever I go, the merchants, supermarket checkers, and restaurant servers all address me by name, so to me it feels as though your living in a small town. Palm Desert's population, I believe is around 55,000, so it is the size of a mid size suburb. I think, if you look around Rancho Mirage, Palm Desert, Indian Wells or La Quinta, you should be able to find something to your liking, housing-wise. Check the crime stats, yes there are gangs, but they are not living in these areas, and are not rampant through the valley, as the transplanted Albertan stated.
I don't believe the poster was from Alberta. It was hsi friends/neighbors that were rom Alberta. Nevertheless I do agree that he is nuts.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:11 PM

209 posts, read 316,511 times
I think the person who moved to Oregon really must be from a very small town. Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, Indian Wells, and La Quinta are all reasonably safe towns. Palm Desert, RM, IW, and LQ are more suburban in nature with a lot of chains. Palm Springs is a little more quirky with more individually-owned places and many neighborhoods that are walkable. The cove part of La Quinta also has some nice hiking trails and a few neighborhood restaurants. It depends on what type of place you prefer. As someone else said, IID offers better electricity rates than SCE.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,585 times
I have NEVER had any of those experiences cited by that man who moved to Oregon. I find it friendly and beautiful. The Alberta couple were probably getting too old to continue being snowbirds. It is expensive after a certain age to purchase travel insurance. we live half the year in PS and absolutely love it. I feel very safe there!

Old 05-29-2014, 08:23 PM

219 posts, read 448,478 times
Whew!!! After reading that guy's diatribe I was afraid to even consider looking at anything in that area when my husband and I come down in July. Thanks for the feedback!! I guess I'll disregard his negativity and make my own assessment. Wonder what his agenda is??

Old 05-30-2014, 05:11 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,027 times
As someone born and raised in Oregon for 35 years and who lived in the desert for a couple years (and can't wait to get back!) you couldn't pay me to live back in Oregon. Endless drizzle, mold and mildew. Unfriendly, insular nutjob residents (there's a reason "Portlandia" became a TV show). Those in the CV, whether "desert rats" or "snowbirds", are friendly, happy people and I never encountered a single problem - with the sole exception of a guy on a motorcycle passing through PS in some biker rally who didn't understand or appreciate the diversity of Palm Springs and who thought he was going to be sexually attacked by gangs of marauding homosexuals the moment he set foot in town. (Dude, if only!! )

Old 05-30-2014, 07:02 AM

247 posts, read 525,718 times
Ha. Maybe some suppressed Freudian stuff going on there.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtxn View Post
Whew!!! After reading that guy's diatribe I was afraid to even consider looking at anything in that area when my husband and I come down in July. Thanks for the feedback!! I guess I'll disregard his negativity and make my own assessment. Wonder what his agenda is??
This is common on all the CD forums. Treat them as the trolls they are. You are going to be in for a shock if you are going to Palm Springs in July. It will be very hot. We go to Palm Springs and Rancho Mirage very frequently.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:45 PM

219 posts, read 448,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
This is common on all the CD forums. Treat them as the trolls they are. You are going to be in for a shock if you are going to Palm Springs in July. It will be very hot. We go to Palm Springs and Rancho Mirage very frequently.
After spending 7 long COLD months here in PA, I'm looking forward to some sunshine and heat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties