Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite Inland Empire city?
Riverside 19 20.00%
San Bernardino 3 3.16%
Fontana 2 2.11%
Moreno Valley 2 2.11%
Rancho Cucamonga 18 18.95%
Ontario 3 3.16%
Corona 6 6.32%
Victorville 1 1.05%
Murrieta 11 11.58%
Other 30 31.58%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 03:35 PM

4,125 posts, read 2,807,807 times

Advertisements

Probably Idyllwild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 08:56 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,776,012 times
You know, the city I "voted" for I only voted for because it's where I'm from.

However, I could totally see myself growing old in Forest Falls.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:10 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,426,792 times
If I could retire with lotsa cash to live in the IE I'd say Lake Arrowhead. I'd have a well stocked library and bar, do some cross-country skiing in the winter, lake activities in the summer. A quick jaunt to the city should I wish, or stay there when snow gets tiresome (and screw the "I HEART FOUR SEASONS" contingent--it does get tiresome and that's the bottom line truth). I could be happy.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:41 PM

74 posts, read 241,792 times
Corona is hands down my favorite I.E. city. I spent a lot of time here growing up and still do today. It's grown so much, and most of the city is newer, clean, safe, lots of great shopping, nice houses, landscaping, and its so close to activities in OC.
The people are nice and the city is great. Definitely my favorite city in the world.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:59 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,118,621 times
I like Temecula the best. The wine country is gorgeous, and as it's growing the city is becoming less boring. The oldtown strip has some little wine bars & cafes now. I hope it keeps going in that direction, instead of "cookie cutter" suburb.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:31 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,927,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal794 View Post
Corona is hands down my favorite I.E. city. I spent a lot of time here growing up and still do today. It's grown so much, and most of the city is newer, clean, safe, lots of great shopping, nice houses, landscaping, and its so close to activities in OC.
The people are nice and the city is great. Definitely my favorite city in the world.

I know Corona like the back of hand after working every single part of it for 18 months now. Corona is nice but its not THAT nice.

I'd go with Rancho Cucamonga. Even up in the hilly spots, its not far from things you need. Corona is just way too large even with Eastvale breaking off to be my favorite. Most of the 92883 area is super far from everything.

I don't get why people like Redlands so much. There is a large chunk of the city which sucks. Same thing with Riverside. Yea I know, every city has a crappy area but theirs are pretty vast.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:53 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,360,492 times
And then there's those of us who prefer to live in rural communities - a family-owned store, a real estate office, a post office, no street lights, and one or two stop signs. But hey, I live on a paved dead-end road

There's a lot more to the Inland Empire than big cities.

CDP's (census-designated places, unincorporated, no municipal government, and much lower taxes) in San Bernardino and Riverside counties, some of them are absolute jewels ...

Aguanga
Anza
Baker
Bermuda Dunes
Big Bear City
Big River
Bloomington
Bluewater
Cabazon
Cherry Valley
Coronita
Crestline
Crestmore Heights
Desert Center
Desert Edge
Desert Palms
East Hemet
El Cerrito
El Sobrante
Fort Irwin Military Reservation
French Valley
Garnet
Good Hope
Green Acres
Highgrove
Home Gardens
Homeland
Homestead Valley
Idyllwild-Pine Cove
Indio Hills
Joshua Tree
Lake Arrowhead
Lake Mathews
Lake Riverside
Lakeland Village
Lakeview
Lenwood
Lucerne Valley
Lytle Creek
March Joint Air Reserve Base
Mead Valley
Meadowbrook
Mecca
Mentone
Mesa Verde
Morongo Valley
Mountain Center
Mountain View Acres
Muscoy
North Shore
Nuevo
Oak Glen
Oak Hills
Oasis
Phelan
Piñon Hills
Ripley
Romoland
Running Springs
San Antonio Heights
Searles Valley
Silver Lakes
Sky Valley
Spring Valley Lake
Temescal Valley
Thermal
Thousand Palms
Valle Vista
Vista Santa Rosa
Warm Springs
Whitewater
Winchester
Woodcrest
Wrightwood

Old 11-20-2011, 09:50 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,349,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I don't get why people like Redlands so much. There is a large chunk of the city which sucks. Same thing with Riverside. Yea I know, every city has a crappy area but theirs are pretty vast.
Architecture.

If you love beautiful old buildings and homes, then the only two places with an abundance of both in the Inland Empire, are Riverside and Redlands.

In 1895 Riverside had the highest per capita income of anywhere in the United States, due to the orange groves - and the people poured that money into their homes. Then in the 1950's and 60's, when cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco and San Diego were starting to tear down those old buildings, to put up shiny new modern buildings - Riverside was going through an economic slump - so the old homes and buildings got to stay. That economic slump has lasted into this century, and it saved a lot of great architecture that might have been lost otherwise.

And Redlands? In 1900 it was known as The City of Millionaires - and it's obvious why - there are so many beautiful mansions from that period that still exist.

And the good thing about money? It allows for the building of great things, that all of the public can enjoy. In Riverside the Mission Inn is loved by the residents - even if you've never stayed there, everyone has eaten there, and enjoyed the Christmas lights - it's a community gem. And the courthouse is a smaller version of the Petit Palais in Paris, France - it's really really beautiful! And Fairmont Park, and Mount Rubidoux... And all of that is within walking distance of some of the nicer neighborhoods. If you want to feel like you live in the city, but still live on a quiet beautiful tree-lined street in a great old historic home - you can do that in Riverside - even if you're not a millionaire. It's not that easy in Los Angeles or San Francisco.

And Redlands has the A.K. Smiley Public Library - which is my favorite library in the world - it was built in 1898 and you can still park right in front of it, and go on in - it's just a beautiful small town library that is exceptional in every way. And out back they have the Lincoln Memorial, with all this really great memorabilia from the Civil War - who would expect that in Redlands? And across the street is the Redlands Bowl - where all the performances are free - Shakespeare in the spring, and concerts in the summer - and the concerts are renowned enough, that you can occasionally find them on PBS.

Both cities have walkable downtowns, and little local places to get something to eat and to shop. They feel like a real downtown - and a place you want to be - forever.

Yes, both cities also have less desirable areas, but who choses a place to live based on the worst part of the city? If you fall in love with the good parts, then the bad parts cease to matter.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:10 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,776,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
And then there's those of us who prefer to live in rural communities - a family-owned store, a real estate office, a post office, no street lights, and one or two stop signs. But hey, I live on a paved dead-end road

There's a lot more to the Inland Empire than big cities.

CDP's (census-designated places, unincorporated, no municipal government, and much lower taxes) in San Bernardino and Riverside counties, some of them are absolute jewels ...

Aguanga
Anza
Baker
Bermuda Dunes
Big Bear City
Big River
Bloomington
Bluewater
Cabazon
Cherry Valley
Coronita
Crestline
Crestmore Heights
Desert Center
Desert Edge
Desert Palms
East Hemet
El Cerrito
El Sobrante
Fort Irwin Military Reservation
French Valley
Garnet
Good Hope
Green Acres
Highgrove
Home Gardens
Homeland
Homestead Valley
Idyllwild-Pine Cove
Indio Hills
Joshua Tree
Lake Arrowhead
Lake Mathews
Lake Riverside
Lakeland Village
Lakeview
Lenwood
Lucerne Valley
Lytle Creek
March Joint Air Reserve Base
Mead Valley
Meadowbrook
Mecca
Mentone
Mesa Verde
Morongo Valley
Mountain Center
Mountain View Acres
Muscoy
North Shore
Nuevo
Oak Glen
Oak Hills
Oasis
Phelan
Piñon Hills
Ripley
Romoland
Running Springs
San Antonio Heights
Searles Valley
Silver Lakes
Sky Valley
Spring Valley Lake
Temescal Valley
Thermal
Thousand Palms
Valle Vista
Vista Santa Rosa
Warm Springs
Whitewater
Winchester
Woodcrest
Wrightwood
Find me a person who can show me the boundaries for Coronita, and I'll show you a smart person.

Home Gardens in the HOUSE!

I've always liked the Lake Mathews area, Woodcrest, and unincorporated "Perris 92570". And of course all of the snowy mountain communities.

I doubt too many people here have been to Searles Valley aka Trona. It is only about 5 minutes from Hell.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:32 PM

38,612 posts, read 22,598,255 times
Corona is my favorite Inland Empire city. My second favorite is Lake Arrowhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties