Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,515 times

Advertisements

Hi I have two small children and my husband was transfered out to Cathedral City. We rented a house out in Desert Hot Springs from a relative not knowing anything about the area. We hate it, it's full of gang activity and we want out asap. I have lived in Sanbernardino County all my life, not knowing much about Riverside County. Were looking to move to Banning. We don't care about fancy, just want a good community with little gang activity and cooler weather. Can anyone tell me if Banning is a good place to raise small children and what to expect? Any areas to avoid? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 09:28 AM

210 posts, read 744,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by issapowers View Post
Hi I have two small children and my husband was transfered out to Cathedral City. We rented a house out in Desert Hot Springs from a relative not knowing anything about the area. We hate it, it's full of gang activity and we want out asap. I have lived in Sanbernardino County all my life, not knowing much about Riverside County. Were looking to move to Banning. We don't care about fancy, just want a good community with little gang activity and cooler weather. Can anyone tell me if Banning is a good place to raise small children and what to expect? Any areas to avoid? Thank you.
Banning is not much better. The crime and drugs there have gotten a lot worse. I would recommend you look into Beaumont which is the next city over. It is growing tremendously and is relatively a safe area. 10 acre park, lots of shopping, and never seen any gang problems. I have lived here for 5 years and anytime there is crime here, it seems that it almost always comes from Banning.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:16 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,907 times
Beaumont is a pit also. I would look into Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, La Quinta and Indian Wells.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:25 AM

5 posts, read 25,252 times
I think Banning is a great place to raise a family. I have recently moved from Redlands to Banning and love it. I find it odd that the previous post stated that Banning has a higher crime rate. If I were you I would check recent crime stats. FYI Banning has a higher income per capita than Beaumont. Hope this helps.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:23 AM

2 posts, read 10,330 times
almost all of IE seems to be a pit, temecula winchester menifee and murrieta are nice areas, anything else in the IE will be a gang infested, tweeker ran, illegal immigrant town.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:32 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,381,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by issapowers View Post
my husband was transfered out to Cathedral City.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
I would look into Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, La Quinta and Indian Wells.
If your husband works in Cathedral City, then I agree with cl723. Why drive all the way to Banning or Beaumont, when there are very nice places much closer?

Old 11-12-2010, 04:05 PM

77 posts, read 347,175 times
I agree with the other posters.

Why would you choose the Banning area when you have some very nice, family friendly areas in the Coachella Valley that are no more expensive than Banning/Beaumont, like Palm Desert, parts of Indio, and Rancho Mirage?

If heat is your reason for not wanting to live in the CV, let me just tell you that both areas are unbearably hot half of the year, and you will be inside all day anyways.

The Coachella Valley offers slightly better schools, and many more recreational activities (because of tourism). The fact that there are also tons of good places to eat/shop is also a plus.

As far as gang problems go in the CV, if you stay out of Desert Hot Springs, North Palm Springs, and Thousand Palms, you will be fine. This leaves me wondering why you would want to relocate to Banning when the gang problems are even WORSE than Desert Hot Springs. Beaumont isn't great in that aspect either.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,522 times
Up-dates on Banning: Elevation 2,349 ft; Population in 2010 total 29,603; Density 1,300/sq mi;
It has better air quality than Beaumont and many of the other surrounding towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties