Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:06 PM

21 posts, read 53,550 times

Advertisements

Hello! I've been reading these boards trying to get an idea of the area there. We are currently living in the panhandle of FL. We have also lived in Spokane WA, VA, and NC. We have two school age children.

My questions..

1.Now, I know I've read that there are nice areas in MV and Riverside, but Murrieta/Temecula would be better with kids?? Google maps says its 30 mins away from base, but how accurate is that? Google also says its 1 hr from LA? Should I double that? I just want to find a really safe area for my kids that is still within 30 mins max of MARCH. I guess I'm just not use to "real traffic" and don't know what to expect.

2.Another worry of mine is the earthquakes. I've rather have a hurricane any day!!! lol Isn't the Murrieta area around the san andreas fault?

3.Are there any previous "east coasters" on here that can give me any major comparisons/differences between the southeast vs. socal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 08:35 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyfacebabe86 View Post
Google also says its 1 hr from LA?
What is, the ARB? Yes, one hour to LA from the ARB under perfect conditions, which is another way of saying "3am when it's not raining and there are no accidents."

Quote:
I guess I'm just not use to "real traffic" and don't know what to expect.
Expect the worst, hope for the best. If you're lucky, you'll land somewhere in between. Also, Temecula/Murrieta to the ARB would be a reverse commute, assuming normal working hours, which is definitely in your favor.

Quote:
Another worry of mine is the earthquakes. I've rather have a hurricane any day!!! lol Isn't the Murrieta area around the san andreas fault?
All of the Greater LA Metro Area and parts of San Diego County are within the kill zone of the San Andreas, and the Southern section of the fault has been locked since 1857. That should ease your mind...

Additionally, the Murrieta/Temecula area are near another major fault: Southern California Earthquake Data Center at Caltech

Old 11-15-2013, 04:44 AM

728 posts, read 1,899,743 times
Quote:
Hello! I've been reading these boards trying to get an idea of the area there. We are currently living in the panhandle of FL. We have also lived in Spokane WA, VA, and NC. We have two school age children.

My questions..

1.Now, I know I've read that there are nice areas in MV and Riverside, but Murrieta/Temecula would be better with kids?? Google maps says its 30 mins away from base, but how accurate is that? Google also says its 1 hr from LA? Should I double that? I just want to find a really safe area for my kids that is still within 30 mins max of MARCH. I guess I'm just not use to "real traffic" and don't know what to expect.

2.Another worry of mine is the earthquakes. I've rather have a hurricane any day!!! lol Isn't the Murrieta area around the san andreas fault?

3.Are there any previous "east coasters" on here that can give me any major comparisons/differences between the southeast vs. socal?
Really? You are worried about quakes? We haven't had a decent one here in 20+ years. How many hurricanes have their been in the meantime? You east coasters and your fears of earthquakes crack me up. You're more likely to get shot by gang members from Perris and Moreno Valley than experience any kind of quake.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
Really? You are worried about quakes? We haven't had a decent one here in 20+ years. How many hurricanes have their been in the meantime? You east coasters and your fears of earthquakes crack me up. You're more likely to get shot by gang members from Perris and Moreno Valley than experience any kind of quake.
Kinda like west coasters who fear hurricanes. When in reality, you know when one is coming, and you leave if you don't want to be hurt/killed, simple as that. Earthquakes carry no warning. Yes, people tend to fear what they do not know.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:15 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:

My questions..

If you want good schools for your kids, live in an area served by Nuview Union School District - Nuview Elementary (Preschool on grounds), Valley View Elementary, Mountain Shadows Middle School, and Nuview Bridge Early College High School.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:56 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Kinda like west coasters who fear hurricanes. When in reality, you know when one is coming, and you leave if you don't want to be hurt/killed, simple as that.
Your house, on the other hand...

Old 11-16-2013, 01:03 AM

9 posts, read 18,577 times
I dont think Hurricanes or Earthquakes should be feared. Tornados on the otherhand, yes those are scary.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:56 PM

6 posts, read 13,526 times
The Temecula area if you are commuting in busy times is about an hour depending how far you are from the freeway. I would look in the redlands/yucaipa area. Do not live in San Bernardino or Moreno Valley. LA is a good hour and a half to two hours away.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:30 AM

Would anyone recommend the orangecrest community of Riverside? I saw it was right next to the base and had decent schools. If you were me and you cared mostly about a good, safe area for your children...would you pick somewhere like orangecrest or Murrieta/Temecula?

Old 11-20-2013, 02:17 PM

93 posts, read 279,175 times
Given what you're looking for I'd recommend Orangecrest, Mission Grove, and Canyon Crest neighborhoods of Riverside. Temecula/Murrieta is much too far from the base in my opinion. I can't think of many good reasons to commute that distance when you have great neighborhoods that are less than 10 minutes from the base. Traffic's unpredictable sometimes in SoCal so live as close to work as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties