Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 03:27 PM

5 posts, read 15,345 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Just found out my husband is getting transferred with his job from the Midwest to Riverside. I am currently a stay-at-home mom with a child who is not yet school age. I have been to SoCal many times (as a tourist) but am not entirely familiar with the Riverside County/ Inland Empire area. Sincerely seeking any and all advice on areas outside of Riverside to live ("affordably"- if that is possible).

I understand traffic is a nightmare and that minimizing the commute is key. Socially, we are not looking for a "singles" scene, not immediately interested in being near the water, and DEFINITELY not looking for the LA/ showy lifestyle. . . the less "glitz", the better. (No offense meant to anyone, those days are just over for us now that we are parents and in our late 30s.) Looking for safe family areas with good communities/ good school districts/ "decent" housing prices. I have heard there are still a few real estate "jewels' to jump on in the area before housing prices and interest rates get any higher/ just wondering if anyone might be willing to divulge more information :-) I have read here and heard elsewhere about the benefits of Temecula / Murrieta, but wondering if there is any other information anyone could provide. I would be so incredibly grateful!!!!
Thank you in advance!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 09:22 PM

542 posts, read 1,549,475 times
It would help if you gave a housing budget. Riverside itself is a good area to live (I grew up there). I do not know if you want to have your husband commute from Temecula every day.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:32 PM

5 posts, read 15,345 times
Thank you Galaxie Girl!
Housing budget is $350-375K MAX as far as I am concerned. . . Unless my husband has a better idea. . .I am terrified at the sticker shock. . .

Old 02-06-2014, 02:28 PM

542 posts, read 1,549,475 times
I don't think you should have any trouble finding a 3 bed 2 bath home in a nice little neighborhood that feeds into good schools (Poly High School is regarded as the best high school in Riverside, or at least it was 12 years ago). Don't know what number of bedrooms and square footage and age of home you want, but neighborhood probably won't be an issue. Here are a few I found, just some samples:

2856 MIGUEL St, Riverside, CA 92506 | MLS# IV13229679 | Redfin
2717 KATHLEEN St, Riverside, CA 92506 | MLS# IV13212475 | Redfin
1558 VIA VISTA Dr, Riverside, CA 92506 | MLS# IV13248200 | Redfin

And if you're looking for a fixer (don't know if you're handy and willing to paint/upgrade):
2856 MOLLY St, Riverside, CA 92506 | MLS# IV13238118 | Redfin

Canyon Crest and Hawarden Hills are typically good areas, just make sure you like the schools they feed into (I don't know about all the elementary schools). The Wood Streets are also a generally good area as far as neighborhood, but I think they're all really old houses (like 80-100 years old), so I don't know if you want to deal with that kind of maintenance. Avoid the Casa Blanca area, and Rubidoux (which I think is technically just county land, not part of the town of Riverside). Moreno Valley (which is its own city) was considered to be "crummy" compared to Riverside when I was growing up, don't know if it still is. A long time ago it was called Sunnymead, and people called it Scummymead. You can look up various areas of Riverside on googlemaps.

You also didn't mention where in town your husband's job would be, that could affect where you want to live, although the areas I mentioned above shouldn't be too bad of a commute to anywhere in town I think. I'm sure there are lots of other great areas near Riverside that could work as well, I just don't really know what they would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties