Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 07:45 PM

48 posts, read 98,582 times

Advertisements

I have never lived in CA, but visited many times and always felt like I was "home" when I was there. This last winter in the Buffalo NY area has KILLED our spirit (both mine & my husband's) and we are trying to get our little family to CA as well.... I feel for ya & hope you get back home sooner than later! Life is too short to be spent in misery!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 09:00 PM

219 posts, read 448,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWE2007 View Post
I have never lived in CA, but visited many times and always felt like I was "home" when I was there. This last winter in the Buffalo NY area has KILLED our spirit (both mine & my husband's) and we are trying to get our little family to CA as well.... I feel for ya & hope you get back home sooner than later! Life is too short to be spent in misery!
I hope you escape Buffalo soon We live in the snow belt here in NW PA and you're right...this winter was horrible!

We're in the process of getting our house ready to list. Our realtor was here today and gave us good news that they (ERA) would like to list it as a Gold Star home, which means it is "top-of-the-line" and will be featured above other homes in the area. Hopefully, that means we can get top $$$

So we're making progress. The hard part is we're not young any more (73/67) and even though we've moved A LOT in the past 39 years, it's a lot of work. We're not looking forward to it but it's the only way we can be closer to our "kids".

I think we've decided to look for a rental home for a while until we know for sure where we want to be. Our target area is Murrieta. Any one know a reputable management company we could talk to when we go out in July?

Good luck, RWE. You can do it if you really want to. The funny thing is, once you get out there and get established, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner

Old 05-23-2014, 03:26 AM

48 posts, read 98,582 times
Thank you retiredtxn! Hope you can get out there soon as well!

I agree, once we get out there we will wonder what we were thinking staying in this hell hole of Buffalo for so long!

Old 05-23-2014, 06:14 AM

147 posts, read 217,529 times
I hope you guys make it back soon. I'm hoping to make it back this year hopefully. My wife has family in San Diego area so that's where we will end up.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosted View Post
I hope you guys make it back soon. I'm hoping to make it back this year hopefully. My wife has family in San Diego area so that's where we will end up.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:07 AM

96 posts, read 205,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifico View Post
Or maybe completely flip the script and head to the northeastern US.
It's cold and dreary here during winter...winter sucks...you'd hate it after a year or so if you've been living well in CA before.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:15 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somersetguy View Post
It's cold and dreary here during winter...winter sucks...you'd hate it after a year or so if you've been living well in CA before.
I agree. I moved from the NE, specifically Manhattan, to SoCal to escape the cold winters and humid summers, and I'm very glad that I did it.

Here, I sometimes have to pinch myself in midwinter to remember the season.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:16 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,881,406 times
I've only been in Dallas for six months but I've already had to deal with a four-day ice storm which immobilized the city, as well as two recent tornado warnings where we had to close all the blinds and move our patients into the hallways away from the windows. How I miss the endless sunshine of Palm Springs! I always enjoyed watching the clouds bumping up against the mountain and trying to get through the Banning Pass but not being able to get through.

Luckily, I get to come out for a visit at the end of the year, and hopefully begin the process to get myself back out there with a job in 2015.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
I've only been in Dallas for six months but I've already had to deal with a four-day ice storm which immobilized the city, as well as two recent tornado warnings where we had to close all the blinds and move our patients into the hallways away from the windows. How I miss the endless sunshine of Palm Springs! I always enjoyed watching the clouds bumping up against the mountain and trying to get through the Banning Pass but not being able to get through.

Luckily, I get to come out for a visit at the end of the year, and hopefully begin the process to get myself back out there with a job in 2015.

Good luck rah62 Most people think TX is TX and every where is hot, but NOT so! Dallas gets awful weather. We lived in south TX (Victoria) for several years and it was HOT< HOT< HOT and HUMID and buggy (mosquito's the size of chickens!!) all the time!! YUCK! I hated it there. You couldn't enjoy doing anything outdoors because it's so humid and hot!! That's why I'm not afraid of Palm Springs....at least there's no humidity!!

Old 05-26-2014, 01:12 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,881,406 times
I lived in Austin for a few years and liked it, but Austin is not representative of Texas. 200 miles north in Dallas, and it's much more redneck, much more right-wing (the carpet-cleaner warned me not to move into this apartment complex because it's "full of dam furriners", and the weather is considerably more extreme. We had a few nights this winter where it was down in the low teens! Give me Palm Springs' 65 in January any old day. I loved the heat in summer - and always guesstimated the temp 8-10 degrees lower than what it really was, because there was no humidity. Mind you, it's still hotter than all get-out (I posted pics on my Facebook a couple summers ago of when I cooked s'mores on the sidewalk in Palm Springs!) but I'll take heat over cold any ol' day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties