Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 06:29 PM

7 posts, read 14,080 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about retiring and moving from Ventura ca. To the Del Webb suncity Shadow Hills community in Indio. But we are concerned about the wind, & the sand storms. How bad and how often are they? Is it a good area outside of the del Webb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 10:01 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Just remember to dress appropriately for summer:

If you can stay in Ventura, I think you'd like that more over the long haul.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:06 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,279,234 times
I haven't been to the Del Webb in Indio but have been to the one in Palm Desert. Usually, anywhere off the 10 freeway is very windy. That's why all those wind farms are there. Since there are walls and other buildings all around the community, the wind is not as extreme as if you were just standing out in the middle of the desert unprotected. Anyway, wind is common.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:48 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Sun City Shadow Hills (Indio) is newer and on IID, which is a lot cheaper than Edison and better service. Sun City Palm Desert is older and serviced by Edison. But, Palm Desert has two 18-hole golf courses, whereas Indio has only one and apparently people get into fights to get on the course. I don't golf, so I wouldn't know first-hand. That's what I hear from people who do golf.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:29 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,838,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Just remember to dress appropriately for summer:

If you can stay in Ventura, I think you'd like that more over the long haul.
Hahaha! I can't argue with you there.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:14 PM

Location: OC, Big Bear Lake, Las Vegas NV, Laughlin NV, Palm Desert CA
113 posts, read 422,625 times
The Dell Web community is really nice. I am in Palm Desert (2nd home) but I have spent a lot of time (years) in the Indio, Palm Desert and Palm Springs for work. While it does get warm 3 months a year, it's not an oven. You have A/C in your home, A/C in your car and you enjoy the mornings and evenings outside. All restaurants, stores, theaters and the club house at communities are air conditioned. You just get use to it and learn not to go golfing at 1PM in middle of August heat. It's common sense. The rest of the 9 months are cool, mild and very cold in the winter time. It can really rain a lot here in non-drought years. We recently had a flash flood of 1/2 year's worth of rain in 2 hours a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't a big deal except for a few homes with poor drainage.

I would live full time in Palm Desert if I could and the heat is not a problem (and I hate heat) It's a few short months and not a big deal at all with A/C. The rest of the time I am very comfortable to needing to put on a jacket. It does get windy, but not bad. The wind power generators are in the pass because of the tunnel effect of the mountains there. You might get a little blowing sand from sand traps ( I am on a golf course) but not bad at all. It's called a Dustbuster or Shopvac twice a year if that. I get that with my other homes in Las Vegas and Laughlin, Nevada, too. It's the desert. No big deal. It also gets hot in those locations and not a problem with A/C and ice tea. Don't let a few months of warm temps or a little sand keep you from retiring in a really cool place. There are many full-time residents in the area and everyone's fine and happy.

Good luck with your home search. =)

Last edited by Oldwestgambler; 09-28-2014 at 12:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties