Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 11:25 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Nobody said the whole city was a ghetto, just that large portions are ruined because there are gangs, lots of crime, lots of drugs, and lots of poor people...ie, GHETTO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 10:37 AM

452 posts, read 619,917 times
Quote:
Riverside isn't a "ghetto," it's just not a place that an upwardly-mobile individual would want to live in. No one graduates from Standord or Cal Tech and says "yeah, I want to move to Riverside!" unless that grad landed a job with a big enough salary, but again, employers with the resources to pay big salaries wouldn't be located in Inland California in the first place.
Oh my! Someone drink their tall glass of Hater-aid this morning?

On the contrary, most of Riverside is NOT ghetto.

On the south side of the 91, the first few blocks are shady, as is the University Ave downtown residential area, but south of Lincoln Ave and MLK (ish) all the way to Perris is quite high end real estate. There are a lot of multi million dollar homes in Hawarden Hills, and Canyon Crest, Woodcrest, Lake Matthews areas are nice.

North of the 60/91/215 interchange is spotty. The closer you are to the freeway the worse it is.

North of the 91 you have the Downtown and Wood Streets areas, full of early century craftsmans and mid century brady bunch ranches. Recent price increases have driven most of the riff raff out.

Continuing down Magnolia, again, the further north you get away from the freeway the nicer it gets. Arlington Ave and Central Ave areas are Normalville USA.

The La Sierra Ave area has sketchy parts.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:40 AM

347 posts, read 1,282,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post

On the south side of the 91, the first few blocks are shady, as is the University Ave downtown residential area, but south of Lincoln Ave and MLK (ish) all the way to Perris is quite high end real estate. There are a lot of multi million dollar homes in Hawarden Hills, and Canyon Crest, Woodcrest, Lake Matthews areas are nice.

North of the 60/91/215 interchange is spotty. The closer you are to the freeway the worse it is.

North of the 91 you have the Downtown and Wood Streets areas, full of early century craftsmans and mid century brady bunch ranches. Recent price increases have driven most of the riff raff out.

Continuing down Magnolia, again, the further north you get away from the freeway the nicer it gets. Arlington Ave and Central Ave areas are Normalville USA.

You nailed it.

BTW: i'm in Normalville

Old 03-10-2015, 12:26 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
And I lived near/went to high school in "sketchy parts".

Old 03-11-2015, 12:15 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post

Read my comment. I did not call Riverside a "ghetto." I was actually contending with someone else's comment that called Riverside a ghetto. I was simply saying that Riverside is not a "destination city" to the same extent that other cities are.

From an urbanity point of view, I have actually argued in the past that Riverside is built rather similar to Pasadena. In some ways, Riverside reminds me of a less-vibrant Pasadena. If you want to compare Riverside to another city with a UC campus, you could say that Riverside is sort of like a less vibrant, more suburban Berkeley.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:24 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
In some ways, Riverside reminds me of a less-vibrant Pasadena.
True, and its vibrancy is coming back. (You may be too young to remember when Pasadena was as dead as a door nail.)

Riverside has a great performing arts center, too.
http://www.riversidedowntown.org/wp-...uide346503.pdf

Old 03-11-2015, 01:23 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Who here remembers going to Castle Park or the Tyler Mall to hang (play and for that much needed AC too)? Only geeks need to respond. I used to have a good friend who lived in Riverside, so I spent a lot of time there as a teen because of him. When I visited him there, I always thought it was so far away from civilization. Now Riverside County is developed all the way to LA/OC.

Riverside has very nice areas and some that are not great.

The Mission Inn is amazing. Riverside certainly has some underrated aspects to it.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Who here remembers going to Castle Park or the Tyler Mall to hang (play and for that much needed AC too)? Only geeks need to respond.
You just described my childhood/adolescence.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:14 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
You just described my childhood/adolescence.
Whoa, no other geeks around here huh?

Old 03-11-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Whoa, no other geeks around here huh?
They're all playing on their computers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties