Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 11:59 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times

Advertisements

Doesnt summer run until end of Sept-beginning of Oct in SoCal?

I have also been to Bakersfield while I was staying in Tehachapi in November. Bakersfield was actually like 10F warmer than Tehachapi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 09:25 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Doesnt summer run until end of Sept-beginning of Oct in SoCal?

I have also been to Bakersfield while I was staying in Tehachapi in November. Bakersfield was actually like 10F warmer than Tehachapi.
Of course Bakersfield is warmer than Tehachapi, Bakersfield is at just 400ft while Tehachapi is at 4,400ft, so generally, Bakersfield is 10 to 15 degrees warmer year round

Old 12-16-2017, 09:37 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,130,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Lots of good info here.

The Victor Valley is hotter than the IE during the summer, in general. I am not surprised that Hesperia was cooler than the IE this time of year (that would not usually be the case in the summer months). The VV is usually cooler in the winter, with occasional sub-freezing temperatures and very occasional snow. Ridgecrest's climate is similar, but not quite as cold as the VV or AV in the winter (but still sub-freezing often, with rarer snow), and very HOT in the summer, with 110's not uncommon.

The area along CA-58 (Mojave, Edwards, Boron, Kramer Jct) can be VERY cold in the winter. I've seen it dip to 10F in those parts several times, and those towns can get snow as well. Lancaster and Palmdale are a bit colder than the Victor Valley in the winter, and maybe a few degrees cooler on average during the summer, but still hotter than LA/OC/IE.

Tehachapi is pretty darn close to a four seasons climate, a mild one at least (they can just about count on snow a few times/winter). The Kern River Valley is similar, but warmer all around (though the far western/eastern reaches of it {Wofford Heights, Onyx, Weldon} also see snow a few times/winter).

All of the desert locations are VERY windy. Wind that will wake you up out of a deep sleep.

The reason the desert locations are not more desirable are because of the commuting distance to job centers, and in general, a lower demographic (income/education/etc).
Late reply, but anyway...

So, from my understanding, here's what I'm starting to get at.

From coolest to hottest in the summer, it goes something like this...

LA > OC > IE > Boron/Kramer Junction/Mojave/North Edwards > AV > VV > Ridgecrest

Whereas in the winter, from warmest to coldest, it's...

LA > OC > IE > Ridgecrest > VV > AV > Boron/Kramer Junction/Mojave/North Edwards

Would this be correct?

In addition, you said that you've seen the temps dip down to 10°F () several times in Boron, Kramer Junction, Mojave, and North Edwards?

But, wouldn't the Victor Valley towns (Adelanto, Apple Valley, Hesperia, Victorville) technically get colder in the winter than Boron/Kramer Junction/Mojave/North Edwards and the Antelope Valley since they all sit at a higher elevation? Or, is there something else to it that I'm missing?

Last edited by Brandon Graves; 12-16-2017 at 09:53 PM..

Old 12-16-2017, 09:58 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times
^^^All the towns you mentioned in the last 2 paragraphs of your above post have one thing in common...they are all in the Mojave Desert, & they are in the “high desert”, meaning higher in elevation, some places being around 2,000 feet in elevation.

So, it’s hot as hell in summer (I remember 116F or more) and cold as hell in winter...temps can go below freezing, with a dusting of snow, which, BTW, is beautiful on Joshua trees.

When you factor in the relentless wind, winters can be pretty cold.

Oh, yeah, and when you’re outside in the windstorms, you will get sand in every orifice of your body...so much fun!

Old 12-17-2017, 08:56 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post

LA > OC > IE > Boron/Kramer Junction/Mojave/North Edwards > AV > VV > Ridgecrest

LA > OC > IE > Ridgecrest > VV > AV > Boron/Kramer Junction/Mojave/North Edwards

Would this be correct?

In addition, you said that you've seen the temps dip down to 10°F () several times in Boron, Kramer Junction, Mojave, and North Edwards?

But, wouldn't the Victor Valley towns (Adelanto, Apple Valley, Hesperia, Victorville) technically get colder in the winter than Boron/Kramer Junction/Mojave/North Edwards and the Antelope Valley since they all sit at a higher elevation? Or, is there something else to it that I'm missing?
Yes, your rankings are fundamentally correct, though the IE is definitely colder than LA/OC at night during the winter, and one could argue whether LA/OC are hotter/colder than each other as well. And yes, 10F!

Yes, north of the AV/VV can get quite cold, and yes, definitely more so than the AV/VV. I think it might have something to do with winds, and/or the topography. The Tehachapi Pass west of Mojave may bring in colder air and wind to what is more or less a wide plain containing Mojave/Edwards/Boron/Kramer Jct/California City/etc. There are ranges of small mountains/hills separating this area from the AV/VV. I would consider this plain to go from SW of Mojave (there is a little barrier of hills between Mojave/Rosamond), north to the range separating Cantil and Ridgecrest (it has a name but I don't recall it), and SE from there probably down to just west of Barstow. There are more ranges of hills/small mountains separating Kramer Jct from Adelanto, and another range between Cantil and Atolia.

Randsburg, Red Mountain, and Johannesburg sit on the top edge/leeward side of a range of mountains, pretty darn close to 4000 feet. And Ridgecrest sits in a bowl, more or less at the bottom of a slowly flattening pit of another range of mountains to its south and west, with the Coso Range off to the north and another range to the east (you can also see Death Valley's mountains {Telescope Peak/etc} from Ridgecrest, very pretty after a winter storm), and the now in view Sierra Nevada to the west. While it does get cold, it doesn't have the wind/cold air flowing into it like the previously mentioned Mojave area plain does; it is also windy, but the passes inbound from the Sierra are further from Ridgecrest, and Ridgecrest is kept sheltered by relatively higher ground to Ridgecrest's west.

I was very happily in this area last Saturday (yes, I've taken two trips to California since mid-November). I enjoyed every minute of it.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:51 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post

Would this be correct?

LA is cooler than OC in the summer? Are you joking? Are we talking about DTLA as being "LA", because if so, it is scorching hot there compared to here.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:57 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
LA is cooler than OC in the summer? Are you joking? Are we talking about DTLA as being "LA", because if so, it is scorching hot there compared to here.
90012 Downtown LA:
July/August/September Average Highs: 83/84/83

92677 Laguna Niguel
July/August/September Average Highs: 79/80/80

But if we're talking LAX 90045:
July/August/September Average Highs: 74/75/75

Or Yorba Linda 92887:
July/August/September Average Highs: 87/89/87

Old 12-17-2017, 12:06 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,616,738 times
It's better to say "coastal areas" are cooler than "inland," lest a war of semantically-driven data catapulting erupt.

LAX is right on the coast. Yorba Linda is roughly 40 miles southeast of DTLA.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
It's better to say "coastal areas" are cooler than "inland," lest a war of semantically-driven data catapulting erupt.

LAX is right on the coast. Yorba Linda is roughly 40 miles southeast of DTLA.
Yes, the coastal areas (LA, OC, SD) are significantly, and definitely, cooler than the inland areas (IE, CV, VV, AV, Ridgecrest, Barstow Area, Boron/North Edwards Area (Boron, North Edwards, Mojave, Kramer Junction, California City, etc.)) during the summer.

BUT, the coastal areas are actually warmer in the winter than the inland areas. Or, is this wrong?

Old 12-17-2017, 12:47 PM

Another thing.

What can we refer to the area that contains Boron, North Edwards, Mojave, Kramer Junction, California City, etc., as?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties