Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2008, 08:02 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,280,433 times

Advertisements

Hello all... I've read this forum and found good information, but not direct answers to my questions, so I am posting some here, please excuse any redundancy. Also, for those who read the LA, Orange County forums, I will be posting this exact post.

I have an opportunity to be relocated with my company to LA from Houston. My wife also has an opportunity for employment with the same company.

Our combined income will be 200K sans bonuses, about 230-250K with bonuses. We currently live in a 3K sq. ft. single story home with a large lot that we paid 159K six years ago. Unfortunately, our real estate does not appreciate as quickly as it does in CA, but we can sell for ~200K, even in today's housing market and pocket over 100K.

No debts. We have three kids, aged 5 and under, the oldest starts Kindergarten this year.

My company is located in the Westwood, UCLA Medical Center area.

Now the questions, I don't know where to start, or what to ask, so I'll just throw some out....

Where do most people live who work in this area? I know I will have to commute to afford a home in the area. We don't have state taxes, or high real estate costs here in Houston, so I know I can't live in the area where my company is without spending a fortune.

I know this is a hard question to answer, but what are good options for me and my family in regards to owning a home in a nice, safe neighborhood?

How much home can we afford on 200K and still live within our means, and save money?

With regards to homes, what area would be good to have a nice home (knowing I can't get what I can in Texas for the same price), with good schools, and be safe?

What area would be best to keep commute times to a minimum (wife and I can carpool).

I don't think that what I see on TV actually represents LA; I've been there, in certain areas it looks like Mexico to me. Spanish is not a problem, I speak it fluently, and my wife is from Spain, and our children are bi-lingual (although they speak the Castillan version of Spanish). But I know there are nice areas around LA too, I just don't know where they are.

I could ask fellow employees, however, I must keep this to myself for now and cannot mention this potential move just yet.

If I think of more I'll post again, but thank you in advance for any advice.

Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 12:50 PM

20 posts, read 112,017 times
Hey hows it going hook, To start off 200k in LA city or county wont buy you Nothing its a good down payment.

Los Angeles is like every where in the world it has its ghettos and its nice areas, you will hear alot of bad things about it and a lot of good things. i was born and raised in L.A. 5 miles from main downtown.

To be honest with you i think you will have to do like most people drive 50 to 100 miles to be able to afford a nice home. As far as L.A. youll be looking at 1k sq ft homes in the ghetto maybe east l.a. or south central for about 300k.

I notice you said alot of areas look like mexico not sure if you have anything against that but if for any reason you do dont even move to L.a. or work there thats all you will see even in the nice areas hispanic/latino dominate California in a major way.

You have a real good income so im sure you will find what you want, i know you said your getting a new job or something you may wanna really think about it if you do get a decent raise it might not make a difference being your gonna spend 3 times or more to have the same home in L.A. county as you do over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties