Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 12:54 PM

6 posts, read 54,914 times

Advertisements

My husband recently got transfered from Michigan to Fontana, CA. I will be following him with the kids sometime this late spring early summer. I know nothing about california. I want my kids in a good city, good schools that has low crime, but also something we can afford to live in. The relocation people are looking in Riverside for us at the moment, but im not sure if thats the best place to go. Any advice would be great thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 01:21 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
That's going to be a tough one Becky - I have heard Fontana referred to as "Fontucky" as well as "the armpit of the Inland Empire". I don't think a commute from Riverside would be all that great either. I wish I had more personal experience with IE, but I'm a beach cities girl myself and avoid any trips to the IE at all costs. I have been to Fontana quite a few times and all I can tell you is 'dusty, dirty, desolate'. I did have a boss at an old job who lived in Highland - not too far from Fontana - and he seemed to think it was a creme de la creme place.

The problem with Fontana and the area is that you are so far away from everything that is worth anything. Summers are scortching, winters are deathly cold. For reference, it just snowed in Fontana a few weeks ago.

For safe schools with no or low crime, you need to get out to the coastal areas. Just have your hubby commute to and from work. My brother works in Fontana and lives in Manhattan Beach. It's do-able; I know of worse commutes. Is the company paying for the housing and/or relocation? Are you planning on buying or renting?

For the price of a typical SFR in the IE, you can probably get a condo (albeit a much smaller one) in a coastal area. Your kids will thank you for not sending them to a school that may as well be juvie based on the enrollment. Yeah, you might not have your own backyard and whatnot, but there are safe and clean parks everywhere in the beach cities and you can even bbq. Ok, maybe not so safe or clean in Santa Monica, but the rest of the beaches yes.

Good luck Becky and welcome to So Cal!

Old 01-26-2007, 01:39 PM

yes the company is paying all relocation fees etc.....he is going to rent until i do decide to move also. We also have pets 1 dog 2 cats. My main concern is my kids daughter 16 son 7 so i really want them in a good school distict. Thanks for the reply

Old 01-26-2007, 02:58 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,611 times
Becky, look into the other cities of the Inland Empire. I'm not sure about Fontana, but their are plenty of nice communities in the area. I can't give you the information right now, because I'm on a library computer, I'll give it later. Fontana low 40's to high 60's in winter, high 60's to mid 90's in the summer. I'm not sure if Fontana has a problem with smog, but many interior Inland Empire cities in relation to the ocean, can have terrible smog. This problem fortunately occurs in the summer. California is much different than Michigan, if you live in the Inland Empire, you will be thirty to an hour's drive to the mountains! What is the Inland Empire? It's Riverside and San Bernardino County!! I'll get more information later, anymore questions!

Old 01-27-2007, 12:14 AM

852 posts, read 3,814,707 times
Look to northern Rancho Cucamonga (the Alta Loma area), northern Upland (the San Antonio Heights area) and, maybe, the Summit part of northern Fontana.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:21 AM

Check out these cities; Chino Hills, Loma Linda, Grand Terrace, Redlands, Yucaipa, Montclair, Rancho Cucamonga.

Old 01-27-2007, 12:04 PM

59 posts, read 222,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyMI View Post
My husband recently got transfered from Michigan to Fontana, CA. I will be following him with the kids sometime this late spring early summer. I know nothing about california. I want my kids in a good city, good schools that has low crime, but also something we can afford to live in. The relocation people are looking in Riverside for us at the moment, but im not sure if thats the best place to go. Any advice would be great thanks
Hi Becky,

I am from the Inland Empire and I can definately point you in the right direction. #1. I used to leave near the beach cities and it is ok. The problem is congestion every where you go. That would be a heck of a hike going from beach cities to anywhere in the Inland Empire. Your commute would be brutal Let's talk about a two hour commute in both directions. I don't think your hubby would be a happy camper

There are many beautiful cities in the Inland Empire that you can choose from. The closest to Fontana would be, Rancho Cucamonga. your looking at a 10 to 15 minute commute if that. SFH there range anywhere from 450k - very small, Condo to 2 mil. The next very nice city is Corona. Corona has grown by leaps and bounds. Your looking at maybe a 20 minute commute. Home prices are pretty much the same. The nice thing about both of these cities are the fact that all of your major stores and shops, and restaurants are located right at your finger tips. In Rancho Cucamonga, they have every restaurant you could possibly think of from Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, you name it to Fridays and the list goes on. There is a beautiful upscale area of shopping called "Victoria Gardens" that offers a wide range of shopping options. Williams Sonoma, Coach etc. Your close to everything. The mountains are practically in your backyard. In the winter, you can see the snow on the mountains. It looks like a picture on a post card. The weather here is excellent. The summers can get hot but that is expected for nice summers anywhere you go : The beaches would be approximately 30 minutes away. I take my children all the time. Where can you go anywhere in the US to the beach in the winter except California

Fontana is not completely bad. However, I would not purchase a home there. Fontana has one of the worst school districts in California. Rancho Cucamonga is among one of the top School districts in California. They are rated the top school district in the Inland Empire. And to top that off they are listed on the top 100 places to live in the United States.

If you could provide me with more of what you are looking for rentals or homes and price range, I would be more than happy to steer you in the right direction. I know people mean well, but if you don't live in the IE than your advice is limited. Driving from Santa Monica to Fontana is just ridiculous. I would "NOT" wish that commute on anyone!

Take Care

Old 01-28-2007, 11:25 AM

well he will be renting something until i decide if im going or not, we have now a sfh around 1200 square foot with a basement and garage. with having 3 pets also will probably have to buy something. Something affordable of course we only paid 75,000 for what we have now here, i know thats low compared to out in california, but 450k? wow to me its not worth it since he wont be making much more than what he is now to transfer

Old 01-30-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyMI View Post
i know thats low compared to out in california, but 450k? wow to me its not worth it since he wont be making much more than what he is now to transfer
Well, when he sees the winter weather, he will be estatic!

Old 01-30-2007, 08:23 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times
Becky, please get used to the reality of So. Cal that incredibly expensive home prices accompany the weather here. $450,000.00 buys a small house in terribly unsafe areas around here. Cami's suggestion of Rancho Cucamonga sounds like the most realistic to you, as well as looking for house rentals there. It should be a pleasant, very So.Cal experience overall. Commuting to a beach area is not only ridiculous, but impossible: it's a day trip within itself, due to our traffic congestion realities. Distances aren't applicable here- we speak of "drive time." Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties