Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2017, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,446 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My wife and I will be moving to California to work at Loma Linda and wanted to get some advice on places/areas to live. We would like to be max 30 minute driving commute to Loma Linda, looking to rent, no kids, and in our early 30's. We are not looking for a college party atmosphere but more of a town like feel where we could go out at night for dinner if wanted, go see a movie, places to walk around outside when we get home, farmers markets, outdoor parks and tennis courts.

I have been reading about Riverside, Redlands, Rancho Cucamonga, and Corona but wanted to get your thoughts.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 02:08 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,616,738 times
If you're going to work in Loma Linda, you're probably better off living in/near there, like in Redlands (stay well south of the I-10).

Living in those other cities would subject you to the traffic woes of the 91 and 10 freeways.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:05 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Why not live in Loma Linda. It's a nice town and has lots of rentals due to the university. You don't need to worry about a "college party atmosphere". LLU is a teaching hospital and students are more concerned about passing their medical exams than attending a party. It's a serious place.

I lived there for a year while my wife finished her residency. Other than the air quality, I enjoyed my time there. (San Bernardino/Loma Linda/Redlands 'sits' in a topographic bowl surrounded on three sides by hills/mountains. Because of the prevailing winds, air pollution tends to 'build up' in the area.)

The only unusual thing you'll need to get used to is that the city shuts down on Saturdays. Almost all the stores are closed and even USPS mail delivery is made on Sundays instead of the usual Saturday, (all this due to the strong Seventh Day Adventist influence in Loma Linda). No worries though because there is abundant shopping in Redlands and San Bernardino.

If you can't find anything in Loma Linda that you like, then Redlands is a close second choice. Redlands has a 'cute' downtown and a lot more activities during the year. However, the two towns are side-by-side and almost indecipherable from each other.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-11-2017, 02:09 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenisfan View Post
I have been reading about Riverside, Redlands, Rancho Cucamonga, and Corona but wanted to get your thoughts.
Riverside, Rancho Cucamonga, Corona . . . you'll have to deal with freeway traffic. Not something I'd want to do on a daily basis. Redlands . . . you can take surface streets and your commute will be a lot less than your specified half-hour.

However, excluding Redlands, which you should seriously consider in addition to Loma Linda . . . of the three remaining, Rancho Cucamonga is probably the one I'd live in. Corona is just too far, and it gets really hot there. Riverside is closer, but just doesn't excite me.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-13-2017, 04:46 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,750,850 times
Other than Redlands and Loma Linda, I'd say Riverside is feasible because you can hop onto the 91 freeway north of the 60 interchange (there is a bottleneck there during rush hour) by street. In fact you can avoid using the freeway all the way to Loma Linda (through Colton). I'd recommend areas around the Canyon Crest community.

Yucaipa is a possibility, but I'm not sure about the rush hour traffic. Others would have to chime in on that.

Don't get anywhere near the San Bernardino city limits!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties