Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 09:27 AM

214 posts, read 1,084,378 times

Advertisements

Trolley service comes and goes | Inland News | PE.com | Southern California News | News for Inland Southern California (http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_S_trolley29.3e251c1.html - broken link)

A good way to reduce traffic...

"The proposed routes in Temecula are not final, but the Red Line will likely connect Old Town Temecula to the Winchester Road area. The Green Line will link The Promenade mall to the Harveston residential development east of Murrieta. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 11:13 AM

12 posts, read 59,026 times
Being new to Temecula and living in Paseo, will any of these routes benefit us? What is the Wichester RD area and what is there?

Old 04-29-2009, 12:16 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansan View Post
Being new to Temecula and living in Paseo, will any of these routes benefit us? What is the Wichester RD area and what is there?
Winchester Rd. is the main street that turns into the 79N- that's where the mall, Trader Joe's, Outback Steakhouse, etc. are. I skimmed the article and basically because the primary funding is coming from Lennar who built Harveston, the lines are serving predominantly that community and surrounding neighborhoods. If it's a success, I'm sure there will be expansion in the future.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:27 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
I was Fleet Manager for an OC city when one of the brilliant counsel members came up with the idea of buying a trolley to serve to community. He saw one somewhere while he was on vacation and thought it was a cute idea. Let fools make decisions and you get dumb ideas..!
It was supposed to be a service to provide senior citizens with a way to get around town. It was a free public service. The one we had was exactly like the picture.
It was mostly used by teenagers and trouble makers. the older people didn't want any part of it. The seats were too uncomfortable and the teenagers too noisy, so the whole idea was a complete waste of time and resources. It got to the point we had to have an undercover cop on board to try to contain the kids riding on the bus. Another waste of resources...
After a few years of operating way over the budget, we sold it and never looked back. Maintenance is very expensive on those things....
Since it looks like you're stuck with it, I hope Temecula has better luck with the system...

Old 04-29-2009, 07:22 PM

214 posts, read 1,084,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I was Fleet Manager for an OC city when one of the brilliant counsel members came up with the idea of buying a trolley to serve to community. He saw one somewhere while he was on vacation and thought it was a cute idea. Let fools make decisions and you get dumb ideas..!
It was supposed to be a service to provide senior citizens with a way to get around town. It was a free public service. The one we had was exactly like the picture.
It was mostly used by teenagers and trouble makers. the older people didn't want any part of it. The seats were too uncomfortable and the teenagers too noisy, so the whole idea was a complete waste of time and resources. It got to the point we had to have an undercover cop on board to try to contain the kids riding on the bus. Another waste of resources...
After a few years of operating way over the budget, we sold it and never looked back. Maintenance is very expensive on those things....
Since it looks like you're stuck with it, I hope Temecula has better luck with the system...
One year pilot, paid for by Lennar (developer of Harveston). Thanks for sharing your cities experience. We'll see how well it works out here.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:36 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,552,191 times
Is there a trolley now?

Old 08-26-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
Is there a trolley now?
Yes, the trolley is up and running. Here's the link to city info: Free Trolley: Harveston-Mall-Old Town

There's one route that runs on weekdays and two that run on weekends. It's totally free, and when I see it going by, it usually only has a couple of passengers. It's air-conditioned and everything, so seems like a great deal in this heat!

Old 08-26-2009, 10:11 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,552,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
Yes, the trolley is up and running. Here's the link to city info: Free Trolley: Harveston-Mall-Old Town

There's one route that runs on weekdays and two that run on weekends. It's totally free, and when I see it going by, it usually only has a couple of passengers. It's air-conditioned and everything, so seems like a great deal in this heat!
It would be ideal if it went to the community college...

Old 08-29-2009, 06:33 PM

518 posts, read 1,451,036 times
Wow. That "trolley" looks terrible. I don't ever recall seeing it in Riverside. Free isn't bad though, and families might try it for fun once, but I don't see it catching on. Personally, I'd much rather drive that short distance.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:18 PM

I think its main appeal is for people to take it into Old Town on Saturdays for the Farmer's Market, parades, and other events not because driving that distance is pain, but rather parking is very, very slim. There are two large free parking structures at the mall, so you can park there, shop if you want, take the trolley into Old Town to enjoy whatever without worrying about finding a parking space, and then catch it back. It's really just like a bus- no track, has air conditioning. And of course, free is a good price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties