Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:03 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,121 times

Advertisements

If you live in an area that encroaches on wildlife like that I think it should be live and let live. If you have outdoor pets expect them to be hunted. Sounds brutal and uncaring but it is the circle of life and all that. Only if it becomes a human safety issue should the whole survival of the fittest (traps, poisons, hunting, etc) come into it.

We've pushed wildlife far enough back and endangered enough species/habitats as it is without sterilizing the few places they have to survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 07:31 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
If you live in an area that encroaches on wildlife like that I think it should be live and let live. If you have outdoor pets expect them to be hunted. Sounds brutal and uncaring but it is the circle of life and all that. Only if it becomes a human safety issue should the whole survival of the fittest (traps, poisons, hunting, etc) come into it.

We've pushed wildlife far enough back and endangered enough species/habitats as it is without sterilizing the few places they have to survive.
I'm all for limiting the building of dwellings in open space but there is nothing illegal about hunting a Coyote or any other animal if done in the proper seasons. There is no season on Coyotes as they are considered a varmint as it is rated "least concerned" on the threatened list. As the owner of a ranch and farm Coyotes are indeed a serious pest. If you had to watch a bunch of Coyotes eat a calf (still alive) hanging half out of it's mother during birth you might change your mind. I've also seen a Mink kill over 200 chickens in a night just because it "could".

Certain predators prosper in all surroundings, Coyotes being one of them. They also consider small children and pets a food item so I'll do my part to keep them in check. People have to live somewhere.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:50 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,217,528 times
I live in a rural area of AZ. We are surrounded by state land and ranches. I have no fence in backyard. I have not seen ONE coyote in my neighborhood. I hear them at night...most everynight but I do not see them. When I lived in another area of Arizona, that was city, the coyotes would be seen walking down the street.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:54 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,060 times
In truth, the coyotes have a people problem, they were here first.

For the last two hundred years the coyotes have been the target of an enormous eradication effort, trapping, shooting, poisoning, yet there are more coyotes in the US today than two hundred years ago.

There is a Federal department of Wildlife Services, a euphemism, as their job is to kill animals.

Sometimes when a dog doesn't come home, it is because it has eaten bait animals, poisoned animals left for coyotes, sometimes it has been trapped, Wildlife Services sets traps, your dog gets trapped, the trapper shoots it and tosses it, he doesn't come to your house to let you know he trapped your dog. I have run across the Federal Trapper within a mile of my Northern California house.

Wildlife Services may still throw poison bait from airplanes, stuff lands anywhere, kills any predator that eats it, lions, bears, coyotes, raccoons, your dog.

I have known a number of three legged dogs, they got trapped and either ripped their leg off trying to escape, or chewed it off.
Quote:
Used to but after I re-zeroed my scope I don't miss anymore.
An example of how to increase the coyote population. When a coyote population is stressed by eradication efforts, the coyotes compensate by increasing litter size.

You control coyote depredation by removing food sources, no garbage, no pets outside. Works for bears and lions also

We have a cat, it grew up on an isolated Nevada ranch, a tough customer. It was attacked by a coyote in our yard, it ripped the coyotes face and nose and got away., quite a vet bill to stitch her up.

Quote:
As the owner of a ranch and farm Coyotes are indeed a serious pest.
As an owner of a ranch and farm, I say not. In my experience, a coyote will hunt mice and ground squirrels in a field, thereby helping the rancher, rather than go after a calf amidst cows. If a rancher leaves a pregnant cow in a field where he cannot observe her health, and protect her from predators, any calf loss is his fault.

Coyote depredation in the US runs about, 0.11% of range cattle.

I am willing to bet that more cattle are killed by lightning and drowning each year than by coyotes.

Last edited by Clarks; 06-16-2010 at 08:07 AM..

Old 06-16-2010, 10:39 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:

+1

Old 06-16-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm all for limiting the building of dwellings in open space but there is nothing illegal about hunting a Coyote or any other animal if done in the proper seasons. There is no season on Coyotes as they are considered a varmint as it is rated "least concerned" on the threatened list. As the owner of a ranch and farm Coyotes are indeed a serious pest. If you had to watch a bunch of Coyotes eat a calf (still alive) hanging half out of it's mother during birth you might change your mind. I've also seen a Mink kill over 200 chickens in a night just because it "could".

Certain predators prosper in all surroundings, Coyotes being one of them. They also consider small children and pets a food item so I'll do my part to keep them in check. People have to live somewhere.
What a statement, like we haven't taken over enough land?

Old 06-16-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post

For the last two hundred years the coyotes have been the target of an enormous eradication effort, trapping, shooting, poisoning, yet there are more coyotes in the US today than two hundred years ago.

There is a Federal department of Wildlife Services, a euphemism, as their job is to kill animals.

Sometimes when a dog doesn't come home, it is because it has eaten bait animals, poisoned animals left for coyotes, sometimes it has been trapped, Wildlife Services sets traps, your dog gets trapped, the trapper shoots it and tosses it, he doesn't come to your house to let you know he trapped your dog. I have run across the Federal Trapper within a mile of my Northern California house.

Wildlife Services may still throw poison bait from airplanes, stuff lands anywhere, kills any predator that eats it, lions, bears, coyotes, raccoons, your dog.

I have known a number of three legged dogs, they got trapped and either ripped their leg off trying to escape, or chewed it off.
An example of how to increase the coyote population. When a coyote population is stressed by eradication efforts, the coyotes compensate by increasing litter size.

You control coyote depredation by removing food sources, no garbage, no pets outside. Works for bears and lions also

We have a cat, it grew up on an isolated Nevada ranch, a tough customer. It was attacked by a coyote in our yard, it ripped the coyotes face and nose and got away., quite a vet bill to stitch her up.

As an owner of a ranch and farm, I say not. In my experience, a coyote will hunt mice and ground squirrels in a field, thereby helping the rancher, rather than go after a calf amidst cows. If a rancher leaves a pregnant cow in a field where he cannot observe her health, and protect her from predators, any calf loss is his fault.

I am willing to bet that more cattle are killed by lightning and drowning each year than by coyotes.
Damn thing won't let me rep you again but very well stated,

Old 06-16-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
What a statement, like we haven't taken over enough land?
You willing to give your house back to nature? I'm not.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post

For the last two hundred years the coyotes have been the target of an enormous eradication effort, trapping, shooting, poisoning, yet there are more coyotes in the US today than two hundred years ago. Absolutely true, just like there are more humans.

Sometimes when a dog doesn't come home, it is because it has eaten bait animals, poisoned animals left for coyotes, sometimes it has been trapped, Wildlife Services sets traps, your dog gets trapped, the trapper shoots it and tosses it, he doesn't come to your house to let you know he trapped your dog. I have run across the Federal Trapper within a mile of my Northern California house. Also true but not within the inner City of large Cities like San Diego or Denver. They use live traps but not kill sets, leg hold or box traps that break the neck.
Wildlife Services may still throw poison bait from airplanes, stuff lands anywhere, kills any predator that eats it, lions, bears, coyotes, raccoons, your dog. Not in populated areas. I just talked to DFG about bait we found in an area we hunt and they said absolutely not, it was probably a Rancher.

An example of how to increase the coyote population. When a coyote population is stressed by eradication efforts, the coyotes compensate by increasing litter size. Absolutely not, you think by cutting off the leg of a Coyote it will increase the population? The healthy animals produce more as in mating season they will fight each other to mate. If anything efforts to remove them drive them into safer areas, outskirts vs people's backyards.

Populations are based more on food source. In wet years there is more natural food, plus grain crops for mice, rabbits and deer. This is the years that the Coyote population explodes.

Even City Yotes eat a variety of food sources.

You control coyote depredation by removing food sources, no garbage, no pets outside. Works for bears and lions also They will not "leave" based on that if they have mice and rabbits to eat. A Coyote will eat about anythng, including water melon and other vegetables.

They will hunt natural food if available, if not they eat what is available. If snow is too deep to reach the cattle in the spring you cannot blame the farmer, you say you are one????? Should we blame the Parents of the kids attacked by Coyotes? I'll blame the Yote, thanks. The Yote is one of our competing predators. It's pretty much that simple.

I'm willing to bet most cattle are killed by humans

Old 06-16-2010, 11:57 AM

770 posts, read 1,797,727 times
Quote:

I agree. As long as any wild animals out there don't pose an immediate and constant threat to my family or pets, and stay away from my house and the immediate yard surrounding my house, I wouldn't mind them at all on any other part of my property.

Coyotes are a native creature out here, so I wouldn't freak out if one came onto my property. They have every right to live out here as much as we do. I would only kill one if it was absolutely necessary.

By the way, I would think that packs of wolves and mountain lions would be more of a serious threat out here in Southern California than coyotes, since those animals are much bigger and tend to be more aggressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego