Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2010, 02:24 PM

7 posts, read 14,551 times

Advertisements

hello

looking to relocate to san diego (or in the general area) from long island, ny. im 33, single and need a change of scenery. im looking to be near the beach, around friendly people, good food and some live music. just visited encinitas, cardiff, solano beach and delmar. the surf and scenery was awesome so im totally hooked on moving out. i felt like the crowds in these towns were a bit older and there was not much in the way of nightlife. still had a great time. i'm not looking to party full-time but having those options would be fun. i didnt make it into san diego or the surrounding towns but i have read some other threads in regards to ocean beach and pacific beach. all suggestions are greatly appreciated. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 02:35 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,576,569 times
Pacific Beach (PB) could be a good fit for you: PacificBeach.org - Pacific Beach, California

Your job will help decide exactly where you live. No one likes a long commute.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:47 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Pacific Beach - Great nightlife, young more college aged crowd but still plenty of people in their late 20's or later. North PB tends to have an older, more subdued crowd than the rowdiness you find closer to Garnett Ave. Also check out Bird Rock/Windansea area. Quieter and more mellow but still close to PB and Downtown LJ.

Mission Beach - similar to PB but smaller. Lots of college or just out of college aged people, retirees, and vacationers.

Ocean Beach - hippy, free spirit, alternative type beach scene. Mix of young and old. Good night life.

Carlsbad prob has better nightlife than all the other North County beach towns you checked out but that's not saying a whole lot either. I'd check out PB, MB, and OB as they are the youngest and most happening beach towns in the region.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:02 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Where will you be working?

Old 10-15-2010, 03:21 PM

176 posts, read 635,118 times
Most likely PB would be a good match.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:35 PM

7 posts, read 14,551 times
thanks for all the input. greatly appreciated. i have no job currently and i am aware that it will be tough to move without employment already lined up. i tried looking for work first but had little response, maybe because I don't reside in california? i have a college degree in video production and experience in the IT field. i just need to pick up and go. thanks again

Old 10-16-2010, 06:01 PM

770 posts, read 1,798,164 times
I would say without a doubt PB, Carlsbad, Solana Beach, and especially Encinitas. I wouldn't recommend Coronado b/c of the outrages prices of local merchants/restaurants there and the mostly white/snobby crowd that frequents that area. You also have to worry about traffic as it is quite bad on the SD-Coronado Bay Bridge and throughout the village (especially when the people who work on the Military Bases go to and from work during morning and evening rush hour). I would also stay away from Imperial Beach (it's not exactly the safest area in SD with a beach), and Ocean Beach (b/c of transients and some drug addicts). One area that I forgot to mention was La Jolla. Yeah, it is a wealthy, mostly white enclave but the beaches are pristine, the area is beautiful and hilly (not flat like Coronado) with plenty of cliffs and one of the best areas to go snorkeling, scuba diving, and kayaking; you won't have any issues there whatsoever, it's a fun area. Like Coronado, however, just be aware of the prices of the local merchants and restaurants if you plan to visit the business district. I personally like Encinitas above all of the other areas. It is a very auesome place that you should spend some more time in when you get a chance. Anyway, good luck! Hope everything works out!

Old 10-19-2010, 03:46 AM

8 posts, read 12,623 times
Cardiff, Solana Beach, and Del Mar certainly are much prettier beach towns (to me at least) than PB, MB, or OB. However, I think I'd get bored pretty quickly of the nightlife up there (they've got some good bars, but don't compare to the southern beach areas in terms of variety). If nightlife is really important to you, then check out PB, OB, and MB. Good surf can be found in any of those areas.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:43 PM

418 posts, read 1,312,452 times
The best night life is in Tijuana, so I suggest living close to the border. Once you have seen a real donkey show in one of the bars down there, nothing else in S.D. will compare. You will be hooked.......a lime, some salt, tequila, a bottle of Corona, a nude mexican girl, and heehaw, heehaw! Life doesn't get any better than that. And always remember: You can be all you can be, or not be all you can be. So you might as well be all you can be.

Last edited by Beware_of_Dog; 10-19-2010 at 05:17 PM..

Old 10-21-2010, 02:07 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware_of_Dog View Post
The best night life is in Tijuana, so I suggest living close to the border. Once you have seen a real donkey show in one of the bars down there, nothing else in S.D. will compare. You will be hooked.......a lime, some salt, tequila, a bottle of Corona, a nude mexican girl, and heehaw, heehaw! Life doesn't get any better than that. And always remember: You can be all you can be, or not be all you can be. So you might as well be all you can be.
I can never decide if you're joking/posting tongue-in-cheek or if you're just a strange, strange person
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego