Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 11:11 AM

4 posts, read 16,356 times

Advertisements

I am about to receive final details on a new job offer in Rancho Bernardo so I expect to be relocating from North Texas in the next few weeks. I'd really appreciate some recommendations on where to narrow down a search for a rental property, either a small house or condo/townhouse. It's just me, SWF w/cat, and I'd prefer a relatively easy commute. I expect to rent for the first year at least.

The thing is, from scanning these boards so far, my impression is that the immediate RB area is very family-oriented and might be a little stifling for singles. I'm not looking for a raving party nightlife, just don't want to be completely inundated with minivans . Are there any areas that strike a nice balance, that won't require me to spend 10 hours a week in my car? (Incidentally, that's something I'm trying to get away from - lesson learned)

Many thanks for all replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 11:39 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLCfrmTX View Post
The thing is, from scanning these boards so far, my impression is that the immediate RB area is very family-oriented and might be a little stifling for singles. I'm not looking for a raving party nightlife, just don't want to be completely inundated with minivans . Are there any areas that strike a nice balance, that won't require me to spend 10 hours a week in my car? (Incidentally, that's something I'm trying to get away from - lesson learned)
RB is dull even for some married people :-)

Depends on your commute really. If you can stomach 45 minutes, you could live almost anywhere in the SD metro - Coastal North County, Coastal SD, or the city of SD itself.

Generally speaking the commute is going to involve some traffic no matter what, but you do have the advantage of a semi-reverse commute if you live to the south or west.

It depends what sort of stuff you are into. Do you like the beach bars and lots of take-out, or do you want a more dressed up scene? Do you like dive bars? Indie rock scene? Hip-hop?

anyway here's a rundown of the singles scene in SD:
- North County: lots of girls, lots of BMW's, lots of biff-type guys.
- SD Beaches: lots of drunk girls, lots of tats, lots of biff-type guys.
- SD City: lots of drunk girls of all types, lots of tats, scooters, and primer-ed out chevelles, lots of tight jeans and 120lb semi-homeless-looking dudes.
- Downtown: big clubs, drunk people from all over the world, and a lot of people from all over SD county. $12 drinks.

Good luck!

Old 01-27-2007, 08:33 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,433,414 times
I live in RB/Plano now (getting ready to move family out the other direction)

RB/Poway/Carmel Mtn (they all meld together and feel like 1) is the West Plano of San Diego. Almost no crime, great schools, lots of family activities, gorgeous homes, clean, close to shopping.....again, West Plano. You'd go nuts there being single, butf married people with kids would want ot want to live anywhere else. It's a trade off.

To me, one of the better places to live and be single is Mission Valley. It's just right there in the center of everything and there are lots of young professionals. You'll also be going against the traffic in both directions.

I would recommend the coast, but the only affordable spots are less than desirable in my opinion. Carmel Valley is another spot you may want to look and it is right at the other end of the 56. Carmel Valley itself is another RB, but all the areas close to Carmel Valley (La Jolla, Del Mar, Encinitas, Solana Beach) are nice to hang out at....then return to your nice home in Carmel Valley.

If you don't mind me asking, which company in RB ?

Old 01-28-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
I live in RB/Plano now (getting ready to move family out the other direction)

RB/Poway/Carmel Mtn (they all meld together and feel like 1) is the West Plano of San Diego. Almost no crime, great schools, lots of family activities, gorgeous homes, clean, close to shopping.....again, West Plano. You'd go nuts there being single, butf married people with kids would want ot want to live anywhere else. It's a trade off.

To me, one of the better places to live and be single is Mission Valley. It's just right there in the center of everything and there are lots of young professionals. You'll also be going against the traffic in both directions.

I would recommend the coast, but the only affordable spots are less than desirable in my opinion. Carmel Valley is another spot you may want to look and it is right at the other end of the 56. Carmel Valley itself is another RB, but all the areas close to Carmel Valley (La Jolla, Del Mar, Encinitas, Solana Beach) are nice to hang out at....then return to your nice home in Carmel Valley.

If you don't mind me asking, which company in RB ?

It's an aerospace company, if you're familiar with the area you probably can identify it.

You're right about the West Plano factor - I made the mistake of buying a house in McKinney and deeply regret it. It's a great place to raise a family but for those who are single by choice, it's a bit too restrictive. At the time, however, I worked up here and it seemed like the right decision given that it wasn't the greatest commute from, well, anywhere.

It seems like Carmel Valley & Mission Valley are probably my most likely choices - any areas that should be avoided? Is one significantly pricier than the other? Thanks so much!

Old 01-28-2007, 04:56 PM

Mission Valley has alot of older housing, Carmel Valley is much newer. I'd say Carmel Valley probably cost more as a whole, but they are two totally different areas. Carmel Valley is alot more upscale (i.e. Stonebridge Ranch) and Mission Valley is alot more youthful (i.e. Addison).

Now here's a tip............follow Bernardo Center drive to where it ends. You'll see that they already have a road across the mountain that will open soon. On the other side of the mountain is Carmel Valley, on the side your sitting is 4S Ranch/Rancho Bernardo. That part of RB is now getting hammered with foreclosures, so there may be an investment opp there, and your still 5 miles to the coast. Remember the old addage, 'buy when everyone else is selling'. That's a great area with no crime and great schools, the home values there wont be depressed for long.

It's also 5 mins from where you work.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:59 PM

To be honest, I'm not sure where I'd live if I were single and worked in Mckinney. I know your employer there - they build weapons guidance systems :-) What kind of work do you do ? You'll love CA...if you haven't tried our Mexican food yet, try it. In my opinion, it is much better than this tex mex stuff out here in Tejas. Ironically, I just bought a house in Mckinney and still own a home down the street from your new employer. Small world.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
To be honest, I'm not sure where I'd live if I were single and worked in Mckinney. I know your employer there - they build weapons guidance systems :-) What kind of work do you do ? You'll love CA...if you haven't tried our Mexican food yet, try it. In my opinion, it is much better than this tex mex stuff out here in Tejas. Ironically, I just bought a house in Mckinney and still own a home down the street from your new employer. Small world.
It's a very small world indeed, especially in my industry I work in the financial end of things. I actually have made it a point in my career to avoid working on projects that actually explode - most of the programs I've supported have been radio systems, things like that. My current employer does a lot of commercial avionics and made a recent acquisition in Poway. I'm sure you'll recognize them as well....

Where is your house in McKinney? I'm in Westridge. I'm worried about selling, my cousin was talking to a realtor last year who told her she wouldn't even take a listing here, resales were sitting on the market for a year and it wasn't worth her effort to even enter it in the MLS. I'm afraid it's going to be a long wait to unload this house so I'm prepared to rent for a while, which is probably just as well so I have a chance to really acclimate to the area before I even think about trying to buy out there. But, the company is helping with closing costs so that helps a bit.

If you're interested in another investment in McKinney I've got an assumable 30 year loan at 4.72 fixed.......you could make money if you're in it for the long haul........

Old 01-29-2007, 08:19 PM

I bought in Stonebridge within La Cima Meadows. Up the street from you off Bristol. You can also get into the communiity from the 380 and Stonebridge Pwky ( Did you know that the same company -Newland- developed Stonebridge and built 4S Ranch where your new emplyer is located ?) Homes in Stonebridge stay on the market 60-70 days.

Stonebridge itself will be completely built out in 2 years, so the area will be mostly developed and they will charge north to start the next community.

I drive by Westridge when I go out to the property I'm building on. Those are Meritage homes right ? There is also a Falcon Ridge there as well. How is that community ?

There is currently a 4.6 month supply of homes for sale in Mckinney, so I don't think it is that bad if you prep your home to sell. Remember this is Texas, so the home needs to look like a model in order to compete with new construction. The Realtor you spoke to is a moron. Shoot me a PM if you want a Realtor that can help you sell. You may also want to consider renting the house out you own. With that location on Custer, commuting to Richarson, Plano, Carrolton, Allen or Frisco is pretty cut and dry because it is located in the exact center between 75 and the Tollway. You can also advertise at Raytheon. I'm guessing alot of people there would be looking for homes in that area.

Check this site out:
http://realtytimes.com/rtmcrloc/Texas~McKinney

More positive than negative.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:51 PM

I'm in the DR Horton community right behind Westridge golf course, the cape cods. I think I have to go thru the company's relo provider when it comes to selecting a listing agent, but when I get to that point I'll definitely get in touch depending on what my options are. I've only received the outline of the relo package, haven't gotten the fine print yet.

I have to differ with you on the convenience of my commute. I commute every day to Richardson and it's a mess to even get down Custer Road. The morons in the Collin County zoning office allowed the Super Target/strip mall at Custer/121, and McKinney's 3rd Super Wal-Mart at Custer/380 (why we need 3 escapes me) and it apparently has yet to occur to them to WIDEN THE FREAKING ROAD. It has, on many occasions, taken me 30 minutes to get to 121. It's 4 miles. It took them a year to manage to widen El Dorado from Stonebridge to Custer (that one dinky bridge was a real puzzler) and I'm just glad I'll be gone when they finally do decide to widen Custer. Why? Because Westridge, my only outlet, is a T-road to Custer and once they start working on it it's going to be a complete mess. They've been working on the intersection of 720/Custer for 3 years now. From what I've heard, the city of Allen required that ALL infrastructure be complete before they allowed the developers any permits, and McKinney would have done very well to follow that lead. Oh well, I'm soon gone - thus endeth my rant.

Still, it can take me an hour and 10 minutes to get to Renner/Shiloh on a bad day. Seriously.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:10 AM

Interesting. I did the commute north from Richardson last night and it took 30 mins at 6pm (18 miles?); 6pm is typically gridlock on the 75. There was traffic, but everything moved north just fine. I know others that take Stacy off the 75 then go up through Lake Forest. The problem I found with the 75 is it takes you way too far east, then you have to exit El Dorado/Virginia and go like 7-8 miles back into the interior of Stonebridge. Using 121 and Custer/Lake Forest you save many miles. I'm also an FAE, so I don't have a 8-5 kind of schedule. I mean I typically work 12 hour days, but alot of work I can do from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego