Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,215 times

Advertisements

My husband runs an optical company in Vista off Sycamore and Business Park Drive. After our 18 year-old twins graduate this May we will be moving our family of five to be closer to his work. I attend Palomar right now, and my twins will be joining me there next fall. We are looking to rent/lease a place for a couple years while they are still living with us, and then probably buy a smaller place when they move out. We have an 8 year old as well, and are concerned about schools and safety.

I've looked around on the forums and it sounds like San Marcos is a better choice over Vista. Carlsbad sounds good too, but we really want to stay between $15-2000 for rent/mortgage. Also, we really want to be close enough to school/work so that we can ride our bikes and drive less. Of course, we both would LOVE to live in Encinitas but the cost and drive time would be too much of a deterrant.

Drive time/commute is a huge issue and mainly why we are moving. I know we could find something in Escondido, but then he'll be stuck in traffic on the 78 for almost as long as he is now, and then we might as well stay in Temecula where there's familiarity and it's less expensive.

Would love any suggestions you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 01:53 PM

204 posts, read 641,924 times
$15-2000 will not be enough for a mortgage on a single family home in any of those areas unless you are willing to consider a condo, townhouse or a rental. I think you can find some options in the area so I wouldn't look in Escondido because of traffic concerns.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:08 PM

233 posts, read 885,800 times
You could rent a two bedroom with a loft in the Prominence Apartments next to CSUSM. 2 bedrooms, 2 baths a loft and a garage for $1,400. You could have the master suite, give the 18 year olds the second bedroom and have the 8 year old up the circular staircase in the loft. Check it out online.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:05 AM

239 posts, read 723,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htnspz View Post
$15-2000 will not be enough for a mortgage on a single family home in any of those areas unless you are willing to consider a condo, townhouse or a rental. I think you can find some options in the area so I wouldn't look in Escondido because of traffic concerns.
OP stated she is looking for a rental.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:23 AM

204 posts, read 641,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soymabelen View Post
OP stated she is looking for a rental.
Oh, I saw they mentioned rent/mortgage later on in the post.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 6,215 times
Thank you everyone for your replies! I got busy with holiday stuff and forgot to check back. Yes, we are looking to rent, and then possibly buy in two years when the twins move out. I'm hoping then we might be able to get something smaller and less expensive that way. BUT, my hope is to stay in the same area so that my son will stay in the same school/neighborhood. I will definitely check out those apartments in the Prominence Apts. I'm curious what your opinion is about San Elijo? We checked that area out last weekend. Thanks again!

Old 12-26-2010, 05:15 PM

59 posts, read 158,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkergirl View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies! I got busy with holiday stuff and forgot to check back. Yes, we are looking to rent, and then possibly buy in two years when the twins move out. I'm hoping then we might be able to get something smaller and less expensive that way. BUT, my hope is to stay in the same area so that my son will stay in the same school/neighborhood. I will definitely check out those apartments in the Prominence Apts. I'm curious what your opinion is about San Elijo? We checked that area out last weekend. Thanks again!

San Elijo is a really nice area and probably the best region when looking at San Marcos and Vista.

I owned a house in the Santa Fe Hills section of SM near Palomary College and that area is nice too but the school districts are not as good beyond elementary school. I moved out of the area one year ago and if I were to raise kids there it would be in San Elijo which has a good elementary and middle school. From what I believe kids in San Elijo still get funneled into San Marcos High. Maybe by than you can buy a townhouse in Carlsbad or Encinitas and have your child in one of those school districts.

Good luck on the decision and the move.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:52 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdpt View Post
San Elijo is a really nice area and probably the best region when looking at San Marcos and Vista.

I owned a house in the Santa Fe Hills section of SM near Palomary College and that area is nice too but the school districts are not as good beyond elementary school. I moved out of the area one year ago and if I were to raise kids there it would be in San Elijo which has a good elementary and middle school. From what I believe kids in San Elijo still get funneled into San Marcos High. Maybe by than you can buy a townhouse in Carlsbad or Encinitas and have your child in one of those school districts.

Good luck on the decision and the move.
San Marcos High has better API scores than La Costa Canyon. Sometimes reality is different than perception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego