Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 12:40 AM

138 posts, read 544,860 times

Advertisements

Hello guys,
I am thrilled to say that I just accepted a job in Solana Beach. Now we need to buy a home. We are renting in Fallbrook right now and it takes 1 hour to get there with some traffic-way too long. Now...we wanted to buy in the Orleavo Heights area in Vista which is right off of the 78. Yahoo maps says it is about 28 miles away. Thinking that San Marcos might be closer, but it came out about the same. But, I know that adding traffic to the mix will totally make things different. I plan on leaving my home around 6 am and leaving Solana Beach at around 3:45 every day. With traffic at these times, is Vista or San Marcos closer? Is San Marcos landlocked?

Do you have any recommendations as to where to buy a home? We are looking at about 400-450k (not much I know). We didn't want to buy a tract home but we are definitely willing now. I would really, really appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 12:49 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,576,464 times
I-5 traffic southbound is slow at least12 hours a day(6-6) 6 days a week
(not on Sundays)
78 traffic through San Marcos can get real slow but that is only 15 mins of slowing compared to 45+ mins on the 5

Old 07-28-2007, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
I-5 traffic southbound is slow at least12 hours a day(6-6) 6 days a week
(not on Sundays)
78 traffic through San Marcos can get real slow but that is only 15 mins of slowing compared to 45+ mins on the 5
So do you think Vista, San Marcos, or Escondido would be closer to Solana Beach including traffic time?

Old 07-28-2007, 03:29 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttoteach View Post
So do you think Vista, San Marcos, or Escondido would be closer to Solana Beach including traffic time?
Vista is closest, Escondido is worst. Traffic is heaviest from the 78 / 5 interchange to Del Mar. I would budget anywhere from 60 mins to 90 mins on a bad day.

The only way to avoid the traffic is to live on the 56 corridor or south of Del Mar.

I work in Carmel Valley now and commute from SDSU area, it is 30 mins if I leave at 6AM and 45 in the afternoon. If I leave at 5 PM and hit traffic the whole way home it is 60 minutes. The total trip is about 19 miles. If you hit solid traffic from Solana Beach to Vista it might take you 2 hours to get home.

If you are going to live in the 78 corridor traffic is the tradeoff that is keeping your house cheap. If you want to avoid traffic, don't live on the 78 corridor.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Vista is closest, Escondido is worst. Traffic is heaviest from the 78 / 5 interchange to Del Mar. I would budget anywhere from 60 mins to 90 mins on a bad day.

The only way to avoid the traffic is to live on the 56 corridor or south of Del Mar.

I work in Carmel Valley now and commute from SDSU area, it is 30 mins if I leave at 6AM and 45 in the afternoon. If I leave at 5 PM and hit traffic the whole way home it is 60 minutes. The total trip is about 19 miles. If you hit solid traffic from Solana Beach to Vista it might take you 2 hours to get home.

If you are going to live in the 78 corridor traffic is the tradeoff that is keeping your house cheap. If you want to avoid traffic, don't live on the 78 corridor.

We are looking at a home in San Marcos just before Elijo Hills. What time does the traffic get bad in the evening? What if I was to leave Del Mar at about 4pm?

Old 07-28-2007, 10:31 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttoteach View Post
We are looking at a home in San Marcos just before Elijo Hills. What time does the traffic get bad in the evening? What if I was to leave Del Mar at about 4pm?
traffic starts at 3 and is bumper-to-bumper by 4, every single day, Friday afternoons are the worst.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:54 AM

171 posts, read 879,940 times
Default Driving option:

If you are looking at buying a home on either the South End of Vista (Shadowridge) or the South End of San Marcos, then you could avoid taking the 78 freeway. You could take Palomar Airport Road to the I-5 instead. Both of these areas are beautiful and have alot to offer and come together at the east side of Carlsbad, also another lovely area. Good luck to you!
Kali

Old 08-03-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaligirl View Post
If you are looking at buying a home on either the South End of Vista (Shadowridge) or the South End of San Marcos, then you could avoid taking the 78 freeway. You could take Palomar Airport Road to the I-5 instead. Both of these areas are beautiful and have alot to offer and come together at the east side of Carlsbad, also another lovely area. Good luck to you!
Kali
This is EXACTLY what I am planning on doing. We found only a few homes in our range, but did not love them. We put an offer on one today, and we will see what happens.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:20 PM

171 posts, read 879,940 times
Wanttoteach, well good luck to you. Hope your offer goes through for you and your family....and if so welcome to North County. You'll love it here and by the way this weather right now is very unusual, it's normally a clear blue sky virtually all day long. Let us know if you get the place!
Kali

Old 09-04-2007, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,570 times
Doesn't anyone commute from Escondido through RSF via the Del Dios Hwy to get to Solana Beach anymore? I made that commute for 8 or 9 years, but that was 20 years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego