Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 01:24 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,244,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnsd View Post
--Be aggressive. If you score an interview, you must be ready at a moment's notice to be able to drive/fly to San Diego to present yourself. This demonstrates your commitment.
this is so freakin true! i was living in NJ and got called for an interview for a job as a police dispatcher for the SDPD. they gave me a few days notice and i could not go that week since i was getting married that week. i was unable to reschedule the interview and was told to reapply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 04:15 PM

53 posts, read 112,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnsd View Post

--Buy a cell phone and secure either an 858 or 619 area code. You can do this online or during your next trip out here. Use that as your contact number for prospective employers and on your resume. It's what I did and I still have the same 619 number.
Even though I do not recommend this type of deception I would like to add for those willing to take this risk use Google Voice instead. You can get a free 858 or 619 number that automatically forwards to whatever phone you want (IE cell phone, home phone, both). You can also set up voice mail and more.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:06 PM

20 posts, read 41,747 times
I am a little confused about how getting a SD adress and phone number works to your advantage. I was told to do this by another poster on a different forum, but I thought it seemed unethical. What happens when the prospective employer calls you and asks you to set up an interview? At that point, you're going to have to tell them that you live miles away and will have to get a flight to come in. Won't they be upset that you lied on your resume about where you live? Has this method actually worked for a lot of people? To me it just seems that employers would disregard your application as soon as they found out you don't really live in SD. Thanks for your input!

Old 01-06-2011, 05:57 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,864,693 times
I don't know. It sounds like starting out on the wrong foot with a prospective employer. Lying in the application process can't be a good sign for later conduct once hired.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:05 PM

134 posts, read 310,555 times
Why do you have to tell them you have to book a flight to come in? You agree on a time and a place for the interview, and you be there at that time and place. No one needs to know how you go there. Could get expensive with flights and all. I don't think you are obligated to tell an employer the truth about every aspect of your personal life.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:34 AM

2 posts, read 4,799 times
As someone else who moved to PB in 2005, (Although from Murrieta and not by choice or having planned it.) I agree with everything you've said. San Diego is a fantastic place and I can't really imagine living anywhere else, or possibly wanting to.

I also echo your sentiments about tourists and living near the ocean. Especially being in PB during spring break and summer, it's easier just to avoid anywhere near Ingraham.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 11,222 times
Wow! As someone who has lived in SD my whole life, I can see they passed out the rose colored glasses on this one. Some things to consider before moving here: SD has a lot of crime and very high crime index,mostly rapes and burglaries and growing number of kidnappings. Because of the proximity to one of the most populus border towns in Mexico, most crimes go unpunished and unsolved here, the SDSO and SDPD are extremely under staffed and the criminals know it, check here for recent info [url=http://www.arjis.org]ARJIS Public Web Site > ARJIS Home[/url] . Also there are no jobs out here at all. Unless you are in bio-tech , medical or a gov't contractor. Everything else are low wage go no where jobs working for indifferent business owners who would drop you in an instant if you ask for more than $10/hr, they would just go to the pool of 4 million people who are begging to get that $10/hr job. The cost of living and the endless fees and costs have driven away most of the middle-class here. You'll find it's all rich and upper-middle class and their minimum wage gardners and care-takers. Consistantly the highest gas prices in the nation, the roads and water pipes are falling apart. Though these last few years here have been the mildest on record (60',70's summer w/ lots of overcast days) we usually have heat in the 90's and 100's a lot. The beaches are over rated (thanks to a great chamber of commerce) always overcast. The food banks out here feed more people every month than the whole population of Wyoming. I wouldn't move here, just a warning.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:32 PM

20 posts, read 41,747 times
Ok, mlarsen23, what do you tell them when they ask why your current job is listed at a place that is 1500 miles away from San Diego? Don't you think at some point in the interview, the fact that you don't currently live in San Diego is going to come up? I agree that this would help the resume filtering process, but what happens after that?

Old 01-07-2011, 02:00 PM

205 posts, read 508,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty762 View Post
Wow! As someone who has lived in SD my whole life, I can see they passed out the rose colored glasses on this one. Some things to consider before moving here: SD has a lot of crime and very high crime index,mostly rapes and burglaries and growing number of kidnappings. Because of the proximity to one of the most populus border towns in Mexico, most crimes go unpunished and unsolved here, the SDSO and SDPD are extremely under staffed and the criminals know it, check here for recent info ARJIS Public Web Site > ARJIS Home . Also there are no jobs out here at all. Unless you are in bio-tech , medical or a gov't contractor. Everything else are low wage go no where jobs working for indifferent business owners who would drop you in an instant if you ask for more than $10/hr, they would just go to the pool of 4 million people who are begging to get that $10/hr job. The cost of living and the endless fees and costs have driven away most of the middle-class here. You'll find it's all rich and upper-middle class and their minimum wage gardners and care-takers. Consistantly the highest gas prices in the nation, the roads and water pipes are falling apart. Though these last few years here have been the mildest on record (60',70's summer w/ lots of overcast days) we usually have heat in the 90's and 100's a lot. The beaches are over rated (thanks to a great chamber of commerce) always overcast. The food banks out here feed more people every month than the whole population of Wyoming. I wouldn't move here, just a warning.
can somebody else chime in on this.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:17 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,244,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty762 View Post
Also there are no jobs out here at all.
will you please shut the hel_l up. no jobs at all ? really? dummy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego