Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 6,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
No, Locco, you have way more than "15 to 20 years left"!!! More like 30+!!!
Haha from your Mouth to God's ears!!

I have the ball rolling, positively determined now! I don't pay much attention to my age either, but if heredity serves as a marker I am at least a realist. Either way - I can't imagine another winter in Michigan.. I will throw myself in front of a bus lol!

I am picturing my little man in board shorts! He is going to be 3 in little more than a week! He was born 11 weeks early, fought really hard to be here and I think he deserves to be brought up as close to Heaven as it gets. It will make it much easier not having to worry all winter he is going to catch some nasty cold!

I've done a lot of scary things in my life.. this one has me excited!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 11:02 AM

25 posts, read 68,205 times
Strong posts by all the users in this thread, nice job.

It was funny to me that there are pages of people like myself stating 'they are planning to move to SD'. It is such a great city and hopefully I can land a job without moving there.

I am work as a Call Center Supervisor/Manager so if anyone has any connections please let me know, I trying to tap all of my San Diego outlets to get the ball further rolling.

Good luck to everyone!

Old 01-23-2011, 11:00 AM

14 posts, read 33,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonDuck View Post
Even though I do not recommend this type of deception I would like to add for those willing to take this risk use Google Voice instead. You can get a free 858 or 619 number that automatically forwards to whatever phone you want (IE cell phone, home phone, both). You can also set up voice mail and more.
Good advice. T-mobile wanted to charge me $15 to change my number. I installed the google voice app on my android phone, now I can receive calls on my local number and my California number and all outgoing calls display a California area code. Thanks.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:31 AM

127 posts, read 424,363 times
I fell in love with the city on a week long trip. 7 months later I went back for a residency interview in La Jolla, and now we are planning to move out in May. I have already have a position but my husband will be in the market. I have very much enjoyed your posts, primarily because of the wealth of info, but also because of the insight it has given me.

You mention in one of the initial posts that you would not recommend living directly on the beach, how far inland do you need to go in order to avoid the "fog", but still be within in a short drive to a nice beach. I ask because the program I am in is only contracted for a year and my husband really wants to live coastal, in case my career takes us back to middle America. I am more concerned with commuting than he is, I will be working in both La Jolla (2-3 days) and Oceanside (1-2 days), and was considering the Encinitas area. Would it be better to live south of La Jolla (opposite of rush hour traffic or live closer to a mid point between the two locations.)

It was also mentioned that you found a couple really nice smaller communities that you only found once you moved to San Diego, are any of these gems in areas I am looking at. I am planning a trip in March in order to check out in person all the places that have been recommended to me and hopefully find a nice apartment for us.

Thanks again for your great post.

Last edited by DCStudent; 01-24-2011 at 10:55 AM..

Old 01-24-2011, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 6,102 times
I have been surfing the net looking at moving companies, was surprized to read so many negative things about Pods! So far the front runner is looking like U-haul, there was another company that has an affiliation with Allied, but the price was really eye popping.

I am going to make a recon trip to look at some houses maybe the second week of Feb., also check the Job situation some then. So many loose ends to tie up before I leave here, and much to toss away - I am so not dragging a bunch of crap with me.

I am debating whether to buy a new car here or wait till I get there, Michigan's tax rate is 6%, but if I have to pay all kinds of Fees on the other end when I get there on top of the gas I will have to burn getting there it may make more sense to buy it there.

Ugh.. it is like 5 degrees here today. Makes me wanna head straight to the airport NOW!

Old 01-26-2011, 05:49 PM

6 posts, read 7,230 times
Thanks so much for the responses, I'm getting the ball rolling on the move and its very nice to hear everyone's experiences good or bad.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:51 AM

41 posts, read 111,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnsd View Post
about inland neighborhoods, I'd suggest Rancho Bernardo & Rancho Penasquitos. AJ
AJ - thanks for your thoughts.

We also desire taking the leap to San Diego. We heard Rancho Bernardo is nice. What do you think of Escondido and Poway ?

Can you recomend anywhere for temp housing while we search for a home ?

Thanks,
Stephano

Old 01-28-2011, 03:05 PM

21 posts, read 62,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locco_one View Post
I am debating whether to buy a new car here or wait till I get there, Michigan's tax rate is 6%, but if I have to pay all kinds of Fees on the other end when I get there on top of the gas I will have to burn getting there it may make more sense to buy it there.
Check the CA DMV website. You WILL have to pay a large fee/tax to register an out of state car if it has fewer than something like 5000 miles on it. I don't remember the specifics, but I do remember having just a few hundred over the cut-off point when I moved to SD many years ago. That's on top of a fee if the car doesn't meet CA emissions (again, if the car is too new).

(I'm no longer there, but seriously thinking of heading back.)

Old 01-28-2011, 08:21 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,752,648 times
Wow, I'm floored to see so many posts from people wanting to move here!

Old 01-29-2011, 02:11 PM

61 posts, read 100,027 times
AJ,

Great post man! Great post! Your tips on relocating were a huge help and I'll probably use most, if not all of them. I guess like Locco, I'm done wondering "what if" and am ready to take the plunge...but not until June 2011! I've got a full head of steam and am ready to do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego