Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 12:44 PM

15 posts, read 17,450 times

Advertisements

Hello forum peoples! I'm hoping some of you here can help me.

My husband and I will be moving to SD around July. We have no kids, but we plan on starting a family after moving. We also have a small dog (corgi). Right now we live in DC and rent an apartment in a large complex. While we like having access to a pool and gym, etc, we would like to rent a house when we move so that our dog can have some place outside to run around. My husband will be working at the naval hospital in Balboa and I believe that we would like to live in one of the surrounding neighborhoods, based on the other moving threads that I have read (North Park, Cortez, etc). My question is, are there homes to rent in these areas or is it mostly apartments or homes to buy? Are there other areas that are semi-close to Balboa that we should look at instead? We have some time to narrow it down, but we may have to move fairly quickly and would like to have some ideas. We believe that will we be allotted $2000-2500 a month for housing, and we would like 2 bedrooms.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 01:38 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Check out Craiglist for what you're looking for in the following neighborhoods:

North Park
Normal Heights
University Heights
South Park
Mission Hills

You should be able to find what you want, and since your dog is small, you shouldn't have a problem finding a place that will accept it.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:31 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,576,569 times
Your rental budget should get you a nice house. In addition to Craigslist, try a couple of property management companies. They maintain an inventory of rental houses. Here are two reputable property managers:
San Diego Property Management
SAN DIEGO CALIFORNIA - SAN DIEGO Homes and Real Estate For Sale - ,

Old 01-21-2011, 07:11 AM

Thanks guys. I've been looking through Craigslist just for price ideas, so that's been a great help. cruitr- Thanks for the links. I'll check them out.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:15 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,406,148 times
Hermione,

Moved and Cruitr gave you good advice, I just wanted to reinforce what they said. However, I just looked at the websites Cruitr supplied, and these companies don't have many homes in the area you should be looking in. Maybe they know the names of the companies that do specialize in the areas you want.

Mission Hills is a great neighborhood, but also the priciest. Given that your only 'kid' is a dog, I believe you can forego Mission Hills if you want to save some money, particularly until such time as your kid enters school.

These urban neighborhoods have more kids, particularly younger ones, than people give them credit for. You just need to get linked into the 'play date' crowd.

When the time gets closer, give us some general locations for some of your house choices and we will give you our opinions about the particular areas.

While these neighborhoods are generally safe, the usual caveats apply. These are urban neighborhoods, not Mayberry RFD circa 1962. You won't run across Sheriff Taylor and Opie hiking down the road to the fishing hole.

Last edited by kettlepot; 01-21-2011 at 11:24 PM..

Old 01-24-2011, 07:05 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
You can also try VRBO.com. Most of the houses are more expensive but almost all the owners will give you a deal on a longer term rental. We rented a house for a few months this Fall while we look for the one we will buy.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:19 AM

Thanks kettle and early. Yeah, when I checked there wasn't much listed, which is why I was wondering if there were homes in the area that rented or if it was mainly apartments.

We are hoping to come out in May to check out the areas so that we have a good idea of what they are like. We are both from SD area originally, but I haven't lived there since I was 12 and that was nearly 15 years ago, and we lived in Penasquitos. I have no idea what the downtown area is like, aside from when I was there in 2008 for SDCC.

I will definitely check out that site, early.

Thanks!

Old 01-25-2011, 10:27 AM

63 posts, read 173,131 times
All of those areas have houses for rent. I just drove by one in Normal Heights that was for rent, and I would guess that it is on Craigslist also. Another neighborhood to add to your list is Kensington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego