Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 06:39 PM

13 posts, read 45,470 times

Advertisements

xambanga-

The school factor looms large for us in 2 or 3 years for sure. We are really thinking about Encinitas, my only concern is that we will be too far from the city. In non-peak rush hrs, is it less than 25 min drive to dt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 06:41 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,536,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolo09 View Post
xambanga-

The school factor looms large for us in 2 or 3 years for sure. We are really thinking about Encinitas, my only concern is that we will be too far from the city. In non-peak rush hrs, is it less than 25 min drive to dt?
About 30 mins.

I would look at Mission Hills, Point Loma, or even Coronado with your price range.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:54 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,865,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolo09 View Post
xambanga-

Yes, it is right around there. We drive downtown and it takes us about 20 minutes, give or take a few. I think if you settled into Encinitas, you'd find you wouldn't go into downtown San Diego all that often. You'd find what you need for day to day life closer to home.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:51 AM

15 posts, read 44,950 times
Yeah, a beach town like Encinitas may work for you. Depends on the kind of nightlife you're looking for. I wouldn't worry about the drive time to downtown if you're not working there.

Several beach towns are served by a commuter train called "the coaster." So, if you live near the center of old Encinitas or Carlsbad you could bike or walk to the train stop and quickly be downtown. Reminds me of suburbs I've visited in Europe and Japan. Pretty rare in the US.

Several years ago, I moved from the La Brea/Beverly area of LA to the South Bay (of LA). Though I never felt a complete part of the beach culture, I did appreciate the "village" atmosphere, and being able to walk/bike to recreation, food, and nightlife. It's definitely different from city life but not exactly suburban either.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:50 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,865,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xambanga View Post
Yeah, a beach town like Encinitas may work for you. Depends on the kind of nightlife you're looking for. I wouldn't worry about the drive time to downtown if you're not working there.

Several beach towns are served by a commuter train called "the coaster." So, if you live near the center of old Encinitas or Carlsbad you could bike or walk to the train stop and quickly be downtown. Reminds me of suburbs I've visited in Europe and Japan. Pretty rare in the US.

Several years ago, I moved from the La Brea/Beverly area of LA to the South Bay (of LA). Though I never felt a complete part of the beach culture, I did appreciate the "village" atmosphere, and being able to walk/bike to recreation, food, and nightlife. It's definitely different from city life but not exactly suburban either.
Re: the Coaster, yes it does make two stops in Carlsbad and one in Encinitas (as well as one in Solana Beach) but to say it's a quick trip to downtown is not exactly true. Like most modes of public transit, it's not faster than a car. It takes about an hour to get downtown on the train. In a car, it's about a half hour.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:21 PM

15 posts, read 44,950 times
You're right, driving is probably faster in most cases. The Coaster schedule shows 43 minutes from Encinitas to downtown and 38 minutes from Solana Beach to downtown. May be competitive with rush hour drive times, especially if your commute leaves you sitting in one of those 10-minute on-ramp queues or if you have a slow parking garage entrance/exit. Of course, if home and work aren't near the train stations there's extra time required on either end. You might see that as a negative or as exercise. Since commute particulars vary widely, so cars may be better for some and trains for others.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:20 PM

13 posts, read 45,470 times
Thanks for all of the info from everyone. We will be down for a visit this weekend and checking out a couple of these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego