Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:15 AM

4 posts, read 25,227 times

Advertisements

I am a full time student with a part time minimum wage job. This is not a sob story just explaining my circumstances. I got a redlight camera ticket, hasn't come in the mail yet. Through some research I've found that I can request a trail; it would just be the judge no jury. I was told to say no thank you to the stipulations or something like that which as far as I could understand no use of the photo or video in my trail. Thus in turn no evidence and I'm left not guilty meaning no ticket either. Is this true?What should I do? I just need the fee lowered drastically, I fully understand I broke the law so please no sarcastic remarks. I just am unable to pay the astronamical fees. Help please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 09:34 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,390,954 times
Just out of curiosity, how do you know you got the ticket if it didn't come yet? Also, what is the city charging these days for a red light violation?

Old 03-07-2011, 09:56 AM

4 posts, read 25,227 times
I'm assuming I got the ticket because the lights flashed as a went through so now the waiting game for it to come in the mail. And it's about $550 that I've seen and heard from people who've had to pay.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:55 AM

15,131 posts, read 32,361,461 times
My neighbor got one at Aero Drive and Murphy Canyon Road. It was $528, and he was too lazy to bother with traffic school. I'm waiting to see how much his insurance goes up.

When your notification comes in the mail, I would go to traffic court. The judge will reduce your fine, but I don't how by much. He might also let you do community service, it'll just depend on the judge.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:56 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,390,954 times
Wow! $500 bucks.... Stiff stiff fine for red light violation. I guess I'll be really careful running red lights.

If you definitely ran the red light, I'd follow moved's advice and maybe try for traffic school or ask if you ask if you can do community service or get on a payment plan.

But I doubt that you have a winning case. Besides, why ask for a trial? You'd be wasting valuable court resources and part of the problem with this country. I'm not going to give you any sarcastic remark but I think that trying to fight it in court if it's clear that you ran the red light is the wrong approach to take and part of what is wrong with this country. People not wanting to accept responsibility for their actions.

I do think that kind of fine is excessive however.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:11 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,283,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle.miller544 View Post
I am a full time student with a part time minimum wage job. This is not a sob story just explaining my circumstances. I got a redlight camera ticket, hasn't come in the mail yet. Through some research I've found that I can request a trail; it would just be the judge no jury. I was told to say no thank you to the stipulations or something like that which as far as I could understand no use of the photo or video in my trail. Thus in turn no evidence and I'm left not guilty meaning no ticket either. Is this true?What should I do? I just need the fee lowered drastically, I fully understand I broke the law so please no sarcastic remarks. I just am unable to pay the astronamical fees. Help please!
First off, you need to wait for the ticket. From that point we will be able to help. In the meantime, you can look at the City website in which you were in violation.

Every City has different statutes and laws regarding traffic violations. Thus, your approach in how to handle it may be different for each respective City.
It may be as simple as taking an online class for a first offense and a lesser fine. In the meantime, while waiting for the ticket, starting saving some cash every week. If it turns out you dont get a violation in the mail, then at least you have some cash saved

Old 03-07-2011, 01:26 PM

15,131 posts, read 32,361,461 times
My neighbor didn't even know that he ran a red light unless he got his picture in the mail. He got the courtesy notice a couple of weeks later. He was too lazy to do anything except pay it.

If you go to traffic court, the fine will get reduced, but not that much , the judge won't waive it entirely. You'll still have to pay whatever the fine is reduced to, and pay it that day. You'll also have to go to traffic school to keep the point off of your license, and keep your insurance down.

What intersection was it at? Since they don't have traffic court every night now, expect to be in the courtroom for a long time waiting your turn.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:45 PM

130 posts, read 466,472 times
Quote:
I'm not going to give you any sarcastic remark but I think that trying to fight it in court if it's clear that you ran the red light is the wrong approach to take and part of what is wrong with this country. People not wanting to accept responsibility for their actions.

I do think that kind of fine is excessive however.
Another part of what's wrong with this country is greed and lack of priorities. $500 is extremely excessive in light of the fact that the city/state is not willing to employ another human being to physically witness and cite me on a traffic violation. Not to mention the insurance hike. Ridiculous. I'm not advocating running red lights - which I'd like to think the OP got caught "midway" as the light was changing and did not just dangeriously and blatanly run a red light - or not being accountable but this whole traffic thing is looking more like a way to make a profit instead of deterring risky driving habits.

And that's my rant. Thanks for listening.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:48 PM

867 posts, read 2,142,031 times
some cities have payment plans to pay off the ticket too i hear

Old 03-07-2011, 02:07 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,748,274 times
It cost me $440+ for my right turn on red without coming to a complete stop. The camera pics and video leave no doubt that I was guilty.

From what I have heard, you can try to argue your case in traffic court and the cop present must explain how the camera system works. Often they can't and you may get a not guilty verdict.

They may even plea it down to something else or give you a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: