Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 01:43 PM

55 posts, read 185,916 times

Advertisements

I know there are plenty of restaurants, bars. However, I was wondering how far if you were visiting in the Marina District could you walk to? Can I walk to Hillcrest from say, the Convention Center? What about Balboa Park? Museums? Is there a reputable Ballet company in San Diego? Petco Park? Qualcomm Stadium?Any help would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 01:56 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,509,213 times
You can walk to Newport Beach if you want to. What is considered a long walk to you? > 1 mile?

Old 07-27-2011, 01:57 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,909,091 times
If you were from NYC I would have more confidence in you not being potentially intimidated by some of these walking distances, but by your moniker indicating someone of above average fitness level and the fact that you are interested in doing so I'll bite, although a Californian, I walk like a New Yorker so here goes.
At a New York City pace: Hillcrest would be straight shot up 5th ave- maybe 35-45 minutes, Balboa Park 25-35 minutes or so depending how far you get into it. Easy 15 minutes to Petco- can't walk to the Q.

There are two Ballet companies in San Diego, California Ballet and City Ballet, City Ballet is the best.
City Ballet - Steven and Elizabeth Wistrich, Directors - City Ballet of San Diego

Old 07-27-2011, 04:43 PM

Long walk to me is 3 miles and up.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:02 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,603,419 times
You can use Google maps, put it into pedestrian mode, ask it for directions, and it'll give you an estimate of miles and minutes.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:18 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,341,397 times
its a long hill up to Balboa Park, Hillcrest etc-not to discourage you, but you should know . I have walked from the north part of downtown to the south part of Hillcrest in about 45 min, mediumish pace. Depending on where you want to go in Hillcrest, from where you are would be an hour, likely more. The good news is going back its all down hill. If you are taking the bus one way, take it there.lol. Balboa Park is very walkable from Downtown for someone who walks regularly, although the zoo is on one of the far ends from you. Still closer than Hillcrest. I live close to Balboa park but admit I have driven my scooter b/c you do so much walking once you are there, your feet will start to bark.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:31 PM

^ I absolutely love to bike, walk, surf, yoga, and since I'm walking with my wife, it will make the time go by much more quickly. I always wear excellent walking shoes, so I was thinking of a walk from the Convention Center to Hillcrest Cinemas. Is this doable? I do love a long walk

Old 07-27-2011, 05:37 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,341,397 times
that's pretty far-sort of eastern portion of HC

Old 07-27-2011, 05:57 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,746,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfDad View Post
I know there are plenty of restaurants, bars. However, I was wondering how far if you were visiting in the Marina District could you walk to? Can I walk to Hillcrest from say, the Convention Center? What about Balboa Park? Museums? Is there a reputable Ballet company in San Diego? Petco Park? Qualcomm Stadium?Any help would be great!
Downtown itself has everything you need within walking distance like grocery stores, drug stores, concert venues (House of Blues, 4th & B), Petco Park, Horton Plaza Mall, movie theaters, museums, etc.

Also downtown are Copley Symphony Hall where the SD Symphony performs and the Civic Theater is where to see the SD Opera. Outdoor Summer Pops concerts go on thru the summer and that makes for a nice evening out.

The trolley is easy to take to Old Town and Qualcomm Stadium (except for going to an event there, not sure why you would want to visit).

While you could walk to Hillcrest and Balboa Park from the Marina, why not rent a bike for the day? You could cover a lot more ground, and it would be great exercise. There are bike trails along the bay all the up to Shelter Island. You could even take your bike on the ferry to Coronado and ride to the beach. Have fun!

San Diego Bike Shop Rental

Old 07-27-2011, 06:36 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,603,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfDad View Post
^ I absolutely love to bike, walk, surf, yoga, and since I'm walking with my wife, it will make the time go by much more quickly. I always wear excellent walking shoes, so I was thinking of a walk from the Convention Center to Hillcrest Cinemas. Is this doable? I do love a long walk
Google Maps estimates an hour and 5 minutes. And offers an estimate of 26 minutes by bus using route 120: San Diego Metropolitan Transit System
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego