Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,083 times

Advertisements

I'm a 38 year old prior military black woman. I'm in great shape. I get carded just for asking for liquor and date outside of my race. My fave music ranges from Led Zeppelin to Steely Dan. I was away from my beloved city for 5 years (Dallas).came back to bury my grandfather who I loved dearly. I came back to a city changed and now since I've relocated I am lost and feel like an outsider. I live in Hillcrest and my 70 year old neighbor has made 6 off color remarks (racist). This is the first time I've experienced racism of this caliber and I've lived in mississippi and maryland for years. I get followed in stores in fashion valley or don't get helped at all. I'm 5'4, 120 and get mistaken for an Ethiopian person. Are blacks not wanted in the city I was born and raised in? My city has changed considerably as far as tolerance goes and I want to know why. I'm really thinking of relocating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 05:58 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,776,937 times
SD is mostly tolerant, I can't speak for all area's in the city or the county, but I can tell you as a Mexican-American living in East County, I get followed in stores and what not. Sometimes you get the dirty looks. All this happens in white area's in SD which tends to be basically be all of San Diego except in the South Bay and parts of the mid city. But I've never had anyone get direct with me and say racist remarks.

I actually found PB to be very cool with all peoples, no strange stares or feeling that you don't belong there as a minority.

Downtown SD used to be more diverse, more mixture of different social classes too, not so much anymore. Once all those condo's went up, it pushed out all lower class, thus strictly keeping parts of downtown like East Village, Gaslamp, Little Italy (which used to be affordable) and other spots upper middle class. So obviously the higher majority of people that can afford all this new housing are Whites. Some of these people have this attitude like everybody else in the neighborhood "has" to or "should" be like them because of their wealth, when the reality is, homeless people, druggies are walking side by side with them on the streets of downtown.

I am surprised by what you encountered in Hillcrest, that's really Effed-up. The lady is 70 years old, that might have something to do with it, and where and how she was raised.

Also although SD is diverse, it's not heavily diverse, and we lack good amount of AA's, so this could be a problem because not too many San Diegans encounter black people everyday, some don't at all. Living in Dallas where high levels of AA's reside, including Maryland, and Mississippi those cities will obviously be a lot more AA friendly and naturally feel more accepting. Ever thought about moving out of Hillcrest and moving to East SD? That might help.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:18 AM

20,838 posts, read 17,137,018 times
I know the lady. She starred in The Crazies. Let it go and enjoy. Hillcrest is busy and fun IMO. Just turn on the vapor control and cruze.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:03 PM

9,826 posts, read 11,577,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katintransit View Post
I'm a 38 year old prior military black woman. I'm in great shape. I get carded just for asking for liquor and date outside of my race. My fave music ranges from Led Zeppelin to Steely Dan. I was away from my beloved city for 5 years (Dallas).came back to bury my grandfather who I loved dearly. I came back to a city changed and now since I've relocated I am lost and feel like an outsider. I live in Hillcrest and my 70 year old neighbor has made 6 off color remarks (racist). This is the first time I've experienced racism of this caliber and I've lived in mississippi and maryland for years. I get followed in stores in fashion valley or don't get helped at all. I'm 5'4, 120 and get mistaken for an Ethiopian person. Are blacks not wanted in the city I was born and raised in? My city has changed considerably as far as tolerance goes and I want to know why. I'm really thinking of relocating.
Why are you so surprised?
San Diego has always been like this!
What part of town did you grow in?

Old 08-02-2011, 12:17 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,286,657 times
Interesting post.
- The 70 year old neighbor...might just be that,that person is in their 70s. Political correctness might as well be another language. Stack on grumpy with that and there you go.
- No help in Fashion Valley? Thats not uncommon. I dont know if that that has anything to do with your look unless you rolled in with pockets pulled out, wreaking of alcohol and wearing 2 different shoes.

Statistically, more blacks have been leaving SD than coming based on census numbers. Where? Who knows. Southeast SD has the largest concentration. I probably live in one of the more diverse cities in the county and never hear of any racist comments or anything like that.

sdlife619 is right. Downtown has changed as have other areas. With the exception of the more established coastal areas and east county, a lot of San Diego has changed since I have been here the past 7-8 years. Its incredible actually.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:12 AM

231 posts, read 640,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Why are you so surprised?
San Diego has always been like this!
What part of town did you grow in?
Really? I've been here since 1992 and I've never personally seen this, granted I am white.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:38 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,403,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katintransit View Post
I'm sorry, but what does your weight, height, physical appearance, dating preference, and favorite music have to do with a "racist" comment by a 70 year old making the "6 off color remarks" that you counted? Racist?? Can you share them?

I've lived in Maryland for over 3 years and can tell you that it could be that you are now overly sensitive to comments that are really just that, comments. I've found that most Marylanders (both black and white) are offended way more easily with race matters and cry "racism" way more often than I experienced in California.

PS - I am a California native too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: