Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 07:26 PM

284 posts, read 1,016,418 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been looking for a new apartment and in doing so we have used services like Craigslist and the Reader to browse listings. In doing so I have come across several apartment placing companies that require a non-refundable deposit to even go look at a place! Has anyone ever used one of these services and are they as much of a scam as they appear to be? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 08:32 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,309,234 times
Screw them. Most complexes are desperate to get tenants. The last thing you need is a service to find you an apartment...make sure you try to negotiate rents in this economy too.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:24 PM

284 posts, read 1,016,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
Screw them. Most complexes are desperate to get tenants. The last thing you need is a service to find you an apartment...make sure you try to negotiate rents in this economy too.
My sentiments exactly! I don't see how people can get away with charging fees to try and rent places out. That is of course, unless it is a scam.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:52 AM

105 posts, read 336,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna_house View Post
My husband and I have been looking for a new apartment and in doing so we have used services like Craigslist and the Reader to browse listings. In doing so I have come across several apartment placing companies that require a non-refundable deposit to even go look at a place! Has anyone ever used one of these services and are they as much of a scam as they appear to be? Thanks in advance!
Of course its a scam. One thing you should keep in mind when searching on craigslist...If it sounds too good to be true, it more than likely is a scam.

Only answer to ads w/ local phone numbers and don't require personal info. (or money) before looking at the place. Arrange to meet at the rental property before you do anything, during the day time, always bring someone w/you, and let someone know where you are.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:16 AM

95 posts, read 388,563 times
Those services are for people who have bad credit who cant qualify ordinarily...supposedly the service will be able to find you a place...for a fee.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 7,660 times
im i on the black list 3 months i have been looking and no one will rent to me../....

Old 08-10-2011, 01:04 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
well, where I live in North County, the rents are going up and when one person moves out, another moves in right away. And rents here aren't cheap by any means...so I think there are plenty of tenants out there looking for places to live. I've noticed it's some older people who are probably downsizing and people from out of state. I just got a rent increase so no negotiating of rents around my way. I wish....

Old 08-10-2011, 03:25 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,543 times
I actually feel like rents have gone down a little in the last year. We are renewing our lease (no increase) but were just browsing around it seems like you can get more for your money now than this time last year. I am not in North County but was looking anywhere from Balboa Park neighborhoods to the beaches.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:33 PM

52 posts, read 100,619 times
Take it from someone who was JUST apartment searching. We used one of these companies. This got us no where. We looked on Craigslist, looked around a few days, paid some visits...Signed an apartment.

We're getting our money back. Just be diligent on Craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego