Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,022 times

Advertisements

Hi..I've lived on the south shore of Long Island....forever!! I am planning on moving off this Island to sunny/warm/dry California. I am single w/small dog. I'm well-versed on how expensive housing can be. I'd be looking to move to an area that is within 15/20 mins to the water and maybe a townhouse....done w/homeownership responsibilites. I'm not young and not too old.. so I'm not looking for a young atmosphere..I'm not looking to live in suburbia either since I'm single and love to be surrounded by outdoor activities.... I've no idea what to expect since I don't have any friends/family out there. Any info you could share with me-The good -the Bad or the ugly? How young is the population out there? Please tell me that it's never 20 degrees with 200+ rainy/humid days a year and you'll have me packing my bags..I am so ready!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 10:35 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
It all depends on what you want in a neighborhood. What's your rental budget, and where will you be working? San Diego is pretty spread out, so you'll need to provide us with more information.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:24 AM

15 posts, read 32,161 times
Hey,

I just moved to SD from NYC about two months ago and I am really happy with my decision.

Regarding the weather, you will be shocked. The weather in NY has been horrible the last two years, and it sounds like the awful rain/heat has continued since I left.

Like I said, I've been here for two months and I'm not sure if it has rained more than a sprinkle in 2 months - incredible! NY essentially has an 8 month winter, then it rains for two months, and goes into blistering heat almost right away.

I'm so done with the snow, humidity, rain. Its so nice to have 70-75 and sunny everyday - especially if you enjoy being active/outdoors.

I got a hotel for two weeks and looked around and settled living near downtown, but I'm not sure what to recommend for you as far as location. I also didn't know anyone out here, but just said "the hell with it" and left. Already secured my job.

Since you sound a little frustrated with NY like I was, I think you will really enjoy yourself out here. Make a new life for yourself, its really cool to move from the Atlantic all the way to the Pacific.

hope this helps!

Old 08-17-2011, 10:13 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,592,513 times
Be sure to have a job lined up, or else plenty of money to tide you over until you get one. Things are still tough, economically. Plus, where you work will probably help you decide where to live.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:20 PM

686 posts, read 1,137,736 times
Pros:

Great weather, awesome winters that are actually sunnier than the summers.

Nice neighborhoods

Better work/life balance

Cons:

Very low pay structure, especially considering the cost of living.

Higher taxes than New York City even including the local city taxes, based on my experience as a single with high income.

Awful job market.

Car dependence in the extreme as compared to NYC. Little rail transportation. The coaster does not equal the LIRR and the trolley is a joke compared to the subway (obviously).

Very brown area. Takes some getting used to if you escape to the Hudson Valley or Hamptons on weekends.

I'd say real estate in general (renting or buying) is on par with Queens if not a bit higher. The coastal areas are generally on par with the more expensive areas of Brooklyn. Manhattan of course is in a league of its own

Lack of diversity (compared to NYC)

"Me" culture.

Road rage is out of control (even compared to NYC and Long Island).

Old 08-17-2011, 03:02 PM

15 posts, read 40,075 times
I recently moved from New York to North County and agree with the post above -- especially that the weather is awesome (not a surprise) and that the road rage is out of control (that one was a surprise).

Old 08-17-2011, 08:32 PM

686 posts, read 1,137,736 times
One other thing:

The dating scene for single straight males is infinitely better in NYC than San Diego. It is truly night and day.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:03 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,470,032 times
Pros
- Weather, Outdoor Activities

Cons
- High COL / Low salaries / weak Job market

Realistically SD is a lot like western Nassau County or most of the LI south shore. Heavily built out, lots of variability of areas, lots of stripmalls and overdeveloped boulevards. Housing costs similar to Queens or Nassau. Property taxes are low but income taxes are high.

People who move here just for the weather are usually disappointed. My experience, NY'ers don't last long in SD. 6 months of enchantment with palm trees and weather, 6 months of realizing they are frustrated by the slow pace and miss their relationships, then they are gone. MA folks seem to do better, twenty-somethings with a hot bod, air in the head and no real career aspirations do best.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:58 PM

205 posts, read 507,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Pros
- Weather, Outdoor Activities

Cons
- High COL / Low salaries / weak Job market

Realistically SD is a lot like western Nassau County or most of the LI south shore. Heavily built out, lots of variability of areas, lots of stripmalls and overdeveloped boulevards. Housing costs similar to Queens or Nassau. Property taxes are low but income taxes are high.

People who move here just for the weather are usually disappointed. My experience, NY'ers don't last long in SD. 6 months of enchantment with palm trees and weather, 6 months of realizing they are frustrated by the slow pace and miss their relationships, then they are gone. MA folks seem to do better, twenty-somethings with a hot bod, air in the head and no real career aspirations do best.
Damn your crushing my dream.... Im in NYC and always liked the idea of moving to San Diego. I f-ing hate the ghetto/thug crap out here. Tired of the filth, traffic, rude people, the awful quality of life and the weather just outright pisses me off. I really dont have any relationships here with anybody and thats by choice. Im really close to my father, his wife and thats about it. Once in a while I'll pay a visit to my grandparents. Other than that Im pretty much with my girl; we live together. I try to imagine it in my head and I just feel like I would miss my father and the food. lol. I do here it a lot though that NY's end up moving back....eh I dont know....guess I'll see what my future beholds. First thing first I gotta get a job out there which isnt happening anytime soon. Im an Elevator mechanic.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:33 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,072 times
I was born and brought up on Long Island (Port Washington) and have been in San Diego (half time - other half Hawaii) for the last 34 years. Can't tell you about the young scene, because that was way more than 34, but the weather is just great.

I NEVER visit the east coast (where I have family) between November and May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego